Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Bigger Truck and weigh Stations? >

Bigger Truck and weigh Stations?

Notices

Bigger Truck and weigh Stations?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My boat is less than 10k but I want more truck than a F350. I 'm thinking of something like a 5500, a 650 is a little much. But on the other hand, one of my personal rules is you can't have to much truck. I have a motorhome over 40k and have never had a problem, but I don't want more problems than its worth. As far as checking my states rules is fine, but I don't want to just use it in my home state. Doug

Last edited by outriggers; 02-22-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug, The big trucks are cool but again, I would not own one if I did not need it to pull the load. Your motorhome is in a whole different league with different rules. Good luck on your choice and do your homework. I have forgotten most of the trailer laws but I think most everyone that pulls a boat and trailer over 10,000 and longer than 20 ft. is required to have a class A license but it is not heavily enforced. I was unlucky and got caught. I don't think the long trailer attracted as much attention as the overwidth cat and the Kodiak. It made for a long day. Doug
Old 02-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by daredevil
U be fine with the 350 ,,,,everything above that is a waist of fuel !!!!
I get about 8mpg towing the boat now with a gas truck. Doug
Old 02-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Registered

It made for a long day. Doug[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I can just picture a impound deal. If im in a gray area, I can see my insurance co. now. Your totally covered,,,,untill something happens. Doug
Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 PM

Again, the big trucks look cool, and 99% of the time you will probably be OK, but F350 or 3500 private tags, their going to wave you through, if the cop doesn't know the law he may stop and hold you until he figures it out. This happen to us a year ago, its not a good feeling leaving a 300K boat in a Quickie Mart parking lot, in the middle of no where.

Trust me once they got you pulled over their GOI(NG TO F*&^ WITH YOU. Is better just to stay below the radar.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as it is under 26000 gross weight and for personal use you do not need a CDL but are subject to legally having to stop at weigh station depending on state Il is required to weigh over 4 tons.
If you are over 26000 a class B CDL with a combination endorcement would be required.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Go around? Nope!

Weigh station signs typically read "all trucks must enter weigh station".
I didn't enter, and the DOT stopped me. Now, the driver (me) didn't follow the signs to enter the weigh station....so, this is now a moving violation...thus adding 3 points to my DL.

The DOT officer was kind enough to help me better understand the sign. His explanation was something like this..."the sign says ALL trucks, not SOME trucks, not BIG trucks... it says ALL Trucks.

I went to couurt to try to work my way out of the points. The judge said that in FL, "all truckks" means anything over 8,000lb.

Technically, you need an upgraded DL to drive a 3/4 ton truck in most states... Read the back of your DL.

Tags are a problem too... So you want to be under 26,000 right? Lets say you (not a company) have a F650 that weighs 11,000lb empty.. If you have 26,000 plates, how much can your trailer weigh? The truck tags carry the weight rating of the combination.
Most 38-42' boats will weigh 15,000lb on the trailer.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 02-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Registered

I have been working on my hurricane plan for the insurance co which includes towing the boat. The truck I started looking at was a 4500 with 26,000 GVW. Well, the boat is 14,000 plus trailer 1,750, plus truck weighed 11,700 put me at 27,450 without fuel or gear which is definitely illegal. In 2007, GM offered an optional 2350 Allison which raises the GVW to 30,000lbs which still is borderline for me.

Either way in Florida, exceeding 10,001 lbs on a trailer or 26,001 lbs Combination require class A non tractor-trailer to be legal. What a PITA.

I have heard in some cases they have enforced it and others say they have never had a problem and they are towing here all the time.

Oh, and we haven't even covered the restrictions for over length towing with a permit. Boat trailer length is 48' with a combination of 60'. Have you ever seen a 12 tow vehicle pulling a 48' trailer down the road? You can get an annual permit but restricted with no weekends, Holidays, or night towing.

Somebody in Tallahassee was asleep at the wheel with this one. Surprise! Surprise!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Registered

I can't post pictures on this site. If someone starts this tread over on the other site. I can post the CDL flow charts and Definitions Associated with Commercal Vehicle Enforcement. As I did it and Instructed other officer in CVE (Comm. Veh. Enforment) in NYS. There are some new regs. that I am not up on as I am not doing CVE any more. These flow charts will answer some of what was said I post 17 & 18 on Drivers Lic. & weights of trucks. As of around 1990 all states are the same on drivers lic classes and Def. on comm. MV
Old 02-23-2009, 12:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Doug, give me a call and I'll go over everything with you. Augie, 201-665-1033 Cell #.

Quick Reply: Bigger Truck and weigh Stations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.