Notices

Electric over Hydraulic??

Old 03-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric over Hydraulic??

Could someone explain this system in "dummy" terms? I've got a triple axle trailer with surge brakes (which I don't like worth a damn). Both of my trucks have electric brake controllers for pulling my horse trailers. What would I have to do to put elec drum/disc brakes on my boat trailer that would be compatible with my present setup? Would I need brakes on all 3 axles, or just 2?

Thanks, Mark
Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They work similar to the Elect. brakes on your horse trailer, except, most are disc brakes, and instead of magnets that acuate the brakes on elect. trailer brakes, their is a small hydraulic pump mounted on the trailer. Your brake controller sends a signal to the pump when you apply the brakes, and it runs building pressure closing the caliper on the rotor. This all happens very fast. The small battery boxes you may see on the tongue of the trailer is for the break-away or emergency brake, in the event your trailer breaks loose there is a lanyard that clips to the hitch acuates this switch and the battery provides 12 volts to run the pump and stop the trailer. hope this helps. Im sure somone else can explain it in more techical terms. I have them on a Myco trailer for a 38 Fountain. Brakes are on two axles. Wouldnt own another trailer without them.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you asking what is EOH or about converting your hyd brakes TO electric brakes?

2 different animals.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Are you asking what is EOH or about converting your hyd brakes TO electric brakes?

2 different animals.
Thanks for the clarification....EOH sounds like a "dual" system. As in elec "and" hydraulic? That's what I'm finding confusing.

But, I would like to convert to full electric disc if it's not too expensive and worth the expense. Surge brakes just don't satisfy me in general, and don't address the problem of one's truck sliding down a ramp when launching. Plus, I all ready have elec brake controllers in my trucks.

I'd prefer discs because I don't think magnets in and out of the water is a good system.

All advice will be appreciated.....Thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Trailer brakes are hydraulic up to the actuator where electric pump provides pressure rather than surge coupler! Conversion for discs, calipers, pump, etc. is gonna run in the way of $2000. expensive yes, but worth every penny
Old 03-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AngerMgmt
Thanks for the clarification....EOH sounds like a "dual" system. As in elec "and" hydraulic? That's what I'm finding confusing.

But, I would like to convert to full electric disc if it's not too expensive and worth the expense. Surge brakes just don't satisfy me in general, and don't address the problem of one's truck sliding down a ramp when launching. Plus, I all ready have elec brake controllers in my trucks.

I'd prefer discs because I don't think magnets in and out of the water is a good system.

All advice will be appreciated.....Thanks
Yes, EOH is a combo of both systems as previously posted. It is more bullet proof because there are no electrical components in the water, unlike a full electric system such as what you are inquiring about. I was talking with a buddy yesterday about his all electric trailer. He mentioned he's never had an issue with it in the last 5 yrs. since new. But then others have had issues. Soooooo???

I do not know if they have disc brakes that are electric. All I've ever seen in electric are drum. I never really looked into that though.
You can convert to all electric drums fairly easy. You'll have to resort to your states laws on axles. Have seen some mention that all axles have to have brakes. Don't know if that is accurate.
Do a price shop comparison of converting all your brakes over to all electric, vs going EOH. Also try to get a full understanding on the differnces between the 2 systems. That should help you make a clear decision.

Also, not all cab controllers work with the EOH systems. There are a few controllers that are compatible. Basically the less expensive $50 units aren't. The $150 P3 unit gets good reviews. And on up to the $350 controllers.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-15-2009 at 01:27 PM.