Notices

Advice needed on a Tow

Old 05-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Advice needed on a Tow

A buddy of mine may be buying a older 40' Cat from south florida. Main obstacle here is transporting the boat back to chicago. The boat has a 11'6" beam. The trailer under it is a dinosaur, needs brakes, and bearings to be road worthy at minimum.

I think the best way to go is having the boat and trailer hauled on a semi trailer. However, got a couple prices, and it sure isnt the cheapest option. But probably the safest.

Other option is, to have a shop go thru the trailer down there, and have a hauler tow it back on its own trailer. Less money on the haul than the semi, but would still need to drop the money to get the trailer redone at a shop 1400 miles from us.

He suggested we drive down ourselves and tow it back with his F350 SRW 4x4 diesel truck. (after the trailer was redone). I told him I did not think towing a heavy old 40ft cat thats near 12ft wide with a SRW pickup 1400 miles would be a good idea! Not sure I'd even want to do it with a F350 Dually.

Any thoughts on this guys?? Once the trailer is back here, we could go thru it ourselves, and in no big hurry, as the boat will be stored using rack service anyhow.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:24 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The semi option may not be as expensive as you think. The trailer probly needs tires and wiring as well as the brakes and bearings depending on how long it has been sitting. Then theres permit issues for the trip back unless you want to risk not getting them? An F350 can do it but I wouldn't use a SRW. I am assuming that it is a tag along trailer? Probly not for that size. So you might need the correct hitch put on your truck too. There is a few guys on here that can help you with the tow including myself but the trailer would need to be repaired and road worthy. Unless it can be repaired by the hauler, then down time is an issue. That being said, the trailer has value which can be recovered by the sale of it when you return including the repair costs done to it. I probly didn't help at all? Just my 2 ct's worth.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Registered

Just get "The Goast" to haul it for you with his dodge
Old 05-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

he definitly wants to keep the trailer. He had planned to redo it with new brakes, tires, wheels, paint, etc anyhow, just not like "this week". More of a winter project.

Plus when dealing with a shop that he is unfamiliar with, who knows what he will spend fixing it up. At least if he holds off till it gets home, we can redo it ourselves. I am voting for the semi haul. But I will show him any input that you guys have, as he is kinda new to the whole big boat towing thing. Right now its just my input in his ear.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 773 Likes on 353 Posts

Member Sydwayz has the answer to one of your questions in his sig line - if you have to ask, no you can't tow it.

I don't like towing my 35 Cig with my Dually Diesel F350, I sure as hell wouldn't want to tow a 40 CAT with less truck.....

I think you will be happiest if you just have it thrown on a semi and hauled, or have a local reputable shop go through it and have it hauled back....
Old 05-29-2009, 09:04 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

LOL! Yea he can do it no permits, 2 out of three axles, brakes and lights out no problem. Then tow it in the last 35 miles on 2 wheels! You know he's got a Class A licence and everything.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know when I drove a big truck there was alot of frieght going to Florida, but nothing coming out..not sure about flatbeds, but it could be the same story for them.So someone might be sitting down there that'll do it for cheap. Just to get out of Florida.

Id say you can hire me to do it, since I live in Grand Rapids but I just hauled a boat from Ft worth TX to Maryland and the owner swore it was roadworthy...I picked it up and although this was the first thing i pulled with my new truck, it felt heavy for a 20ft skeeter. I stopped 2 blocks from the dudes house to check tire pressure and come to find out the brakes were locked up..so much for "yea, its roadworthy"..

If your doubtful about the trailer condition already and dont want to trust a shop to do it, id put it on a flatbed.

If you get everything fixed though...let us know!
Old 05-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-30-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Registered

That long of a haul you are better off just putting it on a flatbed. Think about the time it would cost the two of you to go down and get it, fix the trailer and then pray for no hassles going back. Probably at least a 3-5 day ordeal to go get it yourselves. Put it on a flatbed and just sit back and wait for it to show up.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Registered

call bob sheer @ sheer performance. 954-646-6070. He has big truck with lowboy trailer. He is a former racer specializing in wide loads.

Last edited by gofastkyle; 05-30-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.