Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Ideal Garage size, cost/benefit for certain sizes. >

Ideal Garage size, cost/benefit for certain sizes.

Notices

Ideal Garage size, cost/benefit for certain sizes.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideal Garage size, cost/benefit for certain sizes.

getting ready to have some garage plans drawn up and am wondering if there is a cost benefit for certain sizes. Ideally, I'm thinking 30 deep by 36-40' wide. 3 -car. However, was thinking it would be smarter to go 32' due to a sheet of plywood being 4' wide. that way I could pu the vette on skates in the winter and put it up front.

That said, are there other cost/benefits that I'm missing? trusses are 2' on center, so I need to stay w/ even #'s. I'm an Engineer just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my money. I know bigger is better, but I need to keep it less than $40k (will be framing it with my contractor buddy).

thoughts?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:58 AM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would do a tall door on one bay with it atleast 40 feet deep. That way you can put a sport boat in there.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Keep in mind dimensions are done to the exterior walls, not interior. Every garage I have built turned out to be too small down the road. I keep filling them up. Go big!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Go big enough to store some of my toys for all the aggravation you cause me.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Z06
Registered

Go with at least 8' high insulated doors, if your going to have a sport boat down the road then make that door higher and 10' wide. I would also try to plan for expansion out the back for the bay that a boat may go into. Definitely insulate very well. Radiant floor heating is ideal, overhead gas furnace would be my second choice. A steel entrance door is nice in the winter. If building code will allow, put in a floor drain to wash vehicles along with indoor plumbing, wash basin and hose reel. Install pvc piping for compressed air outlets, one on each wall and a overhead hose reel. A step further and have pvc central vac plumbing. Lots of overhead lighting but divided on at least 2 circuits with a 100 amp breaker box. I would also wire it for an alarm system.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

You should be able to build bigger than that for 40K. I Built 36' deep x 45' wide, with an 8x12 bump out to provide a 44'deep boat bay, 2 10'tall 18' wide overhead doors. $36K, no work done by me.
I now wish I had it made 44 deep all the way across, with the 8' bump out so I could fit a 45' boat.
I may have to bump out the bump out when its time for the next boat.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

By the way, that was by Finger Lakes construction. Great work, definately not the cheapest I could find.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Your money will go a LOT farther with a pole barn.
http://www.pioneerpolebuildings.com/

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...oy-box-up.html
Old 07-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

GO4BROKE...any way I could get a couple pictures of your garage? I'd like to do something like you did.

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
You should be able to build bigger than that for 40K. I Built 36' deep x 45' wide, with an 8x12 bump out to provide a 44'deep boat bay, 2 10'tall 18' wide overhead doors. $36K, no work done by me.
I now wish I had it made 44 deep all the way across, with the 8' bump out so I could fit a 45' boat.
I may have to bump out the bump out when its time for the next boat.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Registered

ah Chucky boy, where's the love brother? I'll make sure I make a designated "Chuck's Sled parking" get another side x side or Mx'er so you can ride with us and you can keep them here too. I could always use a spare.

Go4broke,
How long ago did you have your garage built? Details?

As far as $40k for this size I have to move a septic tank (buddy has equipment), have a lot of dirt to move and plan on doing the following.

- radient heat, with powered ceiling blower as back up to take the chill off when I open the doors.
- fully insulated, rocked, painted w/ Vette logos
- cedar siding to match house
- 3 craftsman wood doors ($$$OUCH!!!)
- would like to go rafters with a over head room. might have to go TGI so I don't have to have a beam in the garage.
- pavement
- car port off right side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.