Notices

Towing Opinions

Old 07-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unvpaypro
Thanks for all the replys. I do boat from different ramps but not often. Since we are halfway thru the summer I think I am going to try it with the 4x2 Ford and worry about it over the winter. A friend of mine told me to put a thousand pounds of sandbags in the bed and go for it. What do you guys think?
This will work better;

http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-be...A2868A0A0.aspx

Last edited by Catmando; 07-23-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Banned

I currently have a 97 Powerquest Enticer (6100 lbs) with a custom triple axle trailer (approx 1000 lbs) that I tow with a 96 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. The Dodge has just about seen its last days. I also have a 98 Ford F150 XLT Triton 4x2 with the towing package. My question is do you think I can get out of boat ramps with this Ford or should I look for another 4x4? I only use trucks to tow so I really am not looking to spend any real money on a truck. Opinions????
Let me suggest driving the Dodge 2500 Megacab 4x4 diesel when you're ready to buy another truck. Take it home hook the boat up and drive it.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Let me suggest driving the Dodge 2500 Megacab 4x4 diesel when you're ready to buy another truck. Take it home hook the boat up and drive it.
I did this when I bought my 2500 Hemi. It was a big selling factor.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Registered

Over the winter I actually do plan on looking at a Dodge 4x4 2500 dually. Diesel hmm I don't know about that part but I am not opposed. The Sure Trax link that you sent me looks like it for me this summer. I already ordered it!! Thanks!!
Old 07-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Registered

I do know one thing I towed for years with 1/2 ton trucks 4x4 and I now have a 3/4 ton and will never buy anything less than that. It is so much better and safer, I was really worried about the other guy, and being over the tow rating on the truck and insurance issues if something would happen.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Banned

Over the winter I actually do plan on looking at a Dodge 4x4 2500 dually. Diesel hmm I don't know about that part but I am not opposed. The Sure Trax link that you sent me looks like it for me this summer. I already ordered it!! Thanks!!
No disrespect but you would be foolish to order a gas engine in a 3/4 ton truck you plan to tow with, especially a Dodge truck that can be outfitted with the best light duty diesel engine ever built; the Cummins diesel. I have the 5.9 with just over 62,000 miles on it and have never had a problem.

You will pay more for the diesel but the torque and fuel mileage advantages are overwhelming. Plus, the resale value on these trucks with gas motors is extremely poor.

The 6.7 is the bored and stroked 5.9L Cummins motor and even with the emissions stuff on it I would still buy it over the Duramax or the Powerstroke. My suggestion is to drive all three trucks with the same setup home, hook up the boat and bring a friend along to record acceleration times and braking distances. My .02 if the Cummins doesn't win I would still buy it.

You're welcome on the Super Trax.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Registered

Thanks for the advice. This really will be my first step up looking into 3/4 ton trucks. I will take your comments under advisement. Around November is when I plan on shopping. I will post and let you know how its going. Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
No disrespect but you would be foolish to order a gas engine in a 3/4 ton truck you plan to tow with, especially a Dodge truck that can be outfitted with the best light duty diesel engine ever built; the Cummins diesel. I have the 5.9 with just over 62,000 miles on it and have never had a problem.

You will pay more for the diesel but the torque and fuel mileage advantages are overwhelming. Plus, the resale value on these trucks with gas motors is extremely poor.

The 6.7 is the bored and stroked 5.9L Cummins motor and even with the emissions stuff on it I would still buy it over the Duramax or the Powerstroke. My suggestion is to drive all three trucks with the same setup home, hook up the boat and bring a friend along to record acceleration times and braking distances. My .02 if the Cummins doesn't win I would still buy it.

You're welcome on the Super Trax.
Then why drive the other two?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by capone550
Then why drive the other two?
Because he's never owned a diesel and I didn't want to sound TOO biased lol. Lots of guys on here drive Duramaxes and Powerstrokes and they like their trucks. They would jump my case if I said just buy the Dodge.