Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
grease w/zerk fitting or the 50w oil stuff? >

grease w/zerk fitting or the 50w oil stuff?

Notices

grease w/zerk fitting or the 50w oil stuff?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grease w/zerk fitting or the 50w oil stuff?

I have an 07 tripple axle extreme trailer and im redoing the wheel bearings already, do to problems like wheel falling off etc, etc... the trailer came with the oiled bearings with the little window instead of the grease since im in the middle of replacing them what should I go with ? stick to the oil or switch to the grease? also where is a good website to buy trailer parts from? I need a lot of advice! on one wheel the brake rotor completly broke off from freezing up maybe its because I over heated the brakes? I dont know but that thing locked up on me and I pretty much need to replace everything down to the torsion bar.

Thanks for any advie guys!

George
Old 08-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FOXMXPSYCHO
I have an 07 tripple axle extreme trailer and im redoing the wheel bearings already, do to problems like wheel falling off etc, etc... the trailer came with the oiled bearings with the little window instead of the grease since im in the middle of replacing them what should I go with ? stick to the oil or switch to the grease? also where is a good website to buy trailer parts from? I need a lot of advice! on one wheel the brake rotor completly broke off from freezing up maybe its because I over heated the brakes? I dont know but that thing locked up on me and I pretty much need to replace everything down to the torsion bar.

Thanks for any advie guys!

George
I would stick with the oil bath bearings. They typically keep things much cooler, and you can see inside of them, which helps maintain them a lot easier.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
I would stick with the oil bath bearings. They typically keep things much cooler, and you can see inside of them, which helps maintain them a lot easier.
okay thanks buddy any more advice ? where to buy?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I'll disagree with the oil bath hubs. Oil bath hubs are for trailers that don't get dipped in water. Especially with the fact that when we arrive at the ramp, the hubs are hot, the rubber seals are soft, and the oil is thin; which is even more opportunistic for water intrusion and "milkshake".

IMHO, the best setup is the way Myco delivers the trailers with Oil-Bath type rear seals, and use greased hubs.

http://www.championtrailers.com/
http://www.redneck-trailer.com/
Old 08-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Registered

oil bath hubs... cap fails or oil leaks out going down the highway wheel brg failure in short time.....tired and true grease fitting in front quality double lip spring loaded seal in rear cap or seal fails wheel brgs will last a long time with good quality grease.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Registered

thanks for the input boys im going with the grease
Old 08-21-2009, 08:01 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to remember is that going to grease and a "Bearing Buddy" style of grease fitting cap will not grease the bearings when you apply grease at the fitting. "Bearing Buddy" style caps have a grease relief hole ion the cap so you can not blow the cap off. Remember there is a wheel seal ion the inside of the hub, so when you grease from the outside the grease just piles up outside of the outer bearing and can not grease through either bearing.

This is why the went with the center and cross drilled spindles with the zerk fitting on the end of the spindle. this allows grease to run down the inside of the spindle and come out behind the inner bearing and the wheel seal causing the grease to travel through the inner than the outer bearings pushing the old grease out.

The oil bath hubs work well even hot in to cold water. Why because the oil stay's hot as the external components cool, leaving a pressurized oil compartment. So water intrusion is know worse that grease type. If you are getting water in there is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Loosing the oil going down the road is know different that loosing the grease. If you do not notice it the wheel falls off. At least with the oil bath when you stop it is visible fight away that you are out of oil. If the wheel seal fails you might just brush off the extra dirt clinging to the grease residue because it all is behind the wheel.

When assembling the wheel bearings make sure to set them then back off one quarter turn loose.

Just my 1.5 cent worth.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Registered

i belive that the oil bath hub will not run near as long as the regular hub if the cap comes off or a seal fails.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Registered

Spindle fitted grease fittings are the best in my opinion. This system greases inner and outer bearings THROUGH the bearing, unlike a bearing buddy which takes time to work the grease into the outter bearing starving the inner.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Registered

I ready some test results awhile back that said an oil bath hub will usually go around 100 miles till failure.

Also know of some people who put an air fitting on the oil hub cab and apply a couple of pounds of air with a hand operated pump to ensure positive pressure.

I know most offshore people are not proponents of oil bath hubs, but every Ranger Bass Boat rolling down the road is on oil bath and the big tournament guys pull them over 75k miles a year and I have never heard them complain of failures.

Just my two cents worth...