Notices

how hot?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hot?

How hot do you're hubs and brakes get? I just converted from drums to disk on my trailer today. It is nothing but a 22ft shorelander. I took it for a ride after and tested the system. It stops and backs great. I made about a dozen stopes in city trafic and came back home. They were uncomfortable to touch, but not skin blistering. Is this normal? Stops were from 50 mph to 0 and a few from 25mph to 0. I replaced everything including the actuator and bleedit all out so I know the set up is good.....Never had good working breaks before
Old 08-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Registered

Sounds like you are OK, After city type driving brakes are going to be warm. You could take it out and try to come to a really gentle stop to check for dragging. My guess is you were so happy with your new found brakes you "tested" them and that as it. Another thing is compare them to the truck brakes.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Registered

Cool Hot brakes

Hi:
The difference between disc and drum brakes as far as temperature comes from the fact that the disc pads are in constant contact with the rotors at all times.... there are no return springs to pull them away from toutching.... this is the same as on your car or truck and is the way they are designed
Old 08-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Registered

Default thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I'mgoingto lake this afternoon....30min drive...mostly freway...I'll report back
Old 08-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Buy yourself a Laser Pyrometer (laser temp gun). It's probably one of the best tools a trailer boater can buy.

As long as they are all uniform, you are fine. If you have an anomaly as in one of them is hotter or cooler than the others, you have a problem.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I R or infared, Some have a laser, it shows where it's pointed, but the farther you are away the bigger the measured circle. I have a Raytek and use it all the time, even in the kitchen. Like Brian says great tool.

Last edited by outriggers; 08-22-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Registered

Been on the road twice now. Why did I wait so long to change to disk? All is good thanks for the help
Old 08-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing with disk brakes is when I leave from a stop I get on the gas hard to make sure that i pull the actuator ALL the way forward. Some times if you do a slow start the actuator will only slide half way up and keep your brakes slightly engaged.