Notices

Trailer Tire Cracking?

Old 08-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

alto of the cheaper trailer manfg use used tires, Especially car trailers, but they want let ya bring your own tires and rims

The trailer mfg will buy lump somes of tires with wheels on them,like phragle said theres no telling how long that tire sat there, just think a trailer mfg and one guy is in charge of putting tires on them that lazy ass ain't pulling from the bottom of that stack.

On my Scarab trailer I had some blow up just sitting in the parking lot in the sun.i though somebody was doing something to them, the tread would blow off and big ass hole in the tire.weird

from what Ive seen 7 years max sitting, i have a 99 trailer that just sits ,it has craters in it,said and tread.My Myco started blow out tires at 7 years old, no sign of cracks at all!! after one fender, all the brake lines twice, I just bought all new tires,
Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 70runner
Even if it is under warranty, I'm leary of the Carlisle tires. Haven't heard many good things about them around towing forums.

Also, most local tire shops recommend upgrading to E rated tires for my load, about 12.5K lbs, for extra safety margin. IIRC, E tires need 80psi to achieve rated capacity. The stock Carlisle wheels (15x6, 6 bolts) on my trailer are rated to 65psi. So an E upgrade would involve a wheel upgrade as well, roughly doubling the cost. What think ye boat haulers?...should I replace with D rated or do the upgrade?
Get rid of the Carlisles they are junk. Load Range E tire will be a 16" tire. Sounds like you have a triple axle trailer so you might be able to use 15s but I'm not sure. Here's a Goodyear trailer tire with a G rating;

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html

Here's the Marathon;

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/marathon.html

Phragle is correct be sure and check the born on date on each tire before you buy it. If you have a friend in the tire biz ask him how to read it so you'll know before you buy.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:46 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Get rid of the Carlisles they are junk. Load Range E tire will be a 16" tire. Sounds like you have a triple axle trailer so you might be able to use 15s but I'm not sure. Here's a Goodyear trailer tire with a G rating;

Here's the Marathon;

Phragle is correct be sure and check the born on date on each tire before you buy it. If you have a friend in the tire biz ask him how to read it so you'll know before you buy.
I just dont like the air press on the G 614, its has to have a ruff ride,

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the date will be in a circle past the size stamp,, it will say something like 4506 , that means it was made the 45 week of 2006.

Mitch
Old 08-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I just dont like the air press on the G 614, its has to have a ruff ride,
whats up Rob,, we sell the snot out of these mostly for the big 3 and 5 Horse Trailers. You could be right about the ride but I've never heard any complaints about them except the cost, I think there around $229.00 a tire now.

Mitch
Old 08-28-2009, 06:33 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mama tryed
I think there around $229.00 a tire now.

Mitch
So now we know how you got your boat....
Old 08-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando

Here's the Marathon;

Funny how everyone *****es about Carlisle tires.I have never had a problem with any of my Carlisles,matter of fact I'm going to buy six more here shortly since the tires on my trailer are almost five years old.I was in Discount Tire recently talking about trailer tires and they said they have more problems with Goodyear Marathons than any other trailer tire they sell.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BURNSMAZZ
Funny how everyone *****es about Carlisle tires.I have never had a problem with any of my Carlisles,matter of fact I'm going to buy six more here shortly since the tires on my trailer are almost five years old.I was in Discount Tire recently talking about trailer tires and they said they have more problems with Goodyear Marathons than any other trailer tire they sell.
You're the first person I've ever seen say anything good about Carlisles. I don't remember what brand I had on my boat trailer(it was stolen over 3 years ago) but I think they were Goodyears.

I buy my tires from Discount Tire too. They have always given me excellent service, their reps are always up on their tire and wheel brands and free air is a plus! The only downside is they charge me $50 to rotate the tires on my dually but I can understand why since they have to dismount all of them so I guess that's pretty cheap after all.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can, change to 16" tires and rims. You will have a bigger choice of tires. If it is to costly or if 16's won't fit, one of the few manufactures that make a 10 ply 15" trailer tire is Maaxis. People that have them seem to be having really good luck with them. The one thing that is indisputable is--- You can never have to much tire on a trailer. The one good thing about Goodyear trailer tires is Goodyears replacement policy and there willingness to replace any damaged parts on your trailer caused by a blowout, that is, if you survive after the blowout.
Jay
Old 08-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned

http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Files/m8008load.pdf

Right click on the chart then use the zoom so you can read it. Maxxis has an E rated tire in 15" size as well as 16". Discount Tire will order it for you. NTB probly will too.

Last edited by Catmando; 08-28-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.