Notices

Trailer Brakes, Drum or Disc???

Old 09-22-2009, 03:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer Brakes, Drum or Disc???

Hey Guys

I have a tandem axle alum. "performance" trailer that my 25 Baja sits on, the trailer doesn't have brakes, over the winter I am gonna put brakes on both axles, should I go to Drum or disc brakes? What are the pro's and con's of both?

I would also like to upgrade to a set of "nice" 15" alum rims to replace the 14" ones, any recomendations?

Thanks!
Michael
Old 09-22-2009, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Discs.

Drums probably provide better overall stopping power, but discs are SO easy to swap out and seem to last longer.

Depending on your location, you could check out Eastern Marine. They have a ridiculous amount of trailer parts. You can literally build a trailer from the ground up with one trip to their store.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:14 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go Disc.

If you have a Dexter distributor near you then you can try them. They have very good prices and quality.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Electric over Hydr. are the way to go but pricey to retrofit. I put disc brakes on our sons 28 Skater trailer for about $600.00 on one axle. Bought a kit from here. www.championtrailers.com. Very easy install, and they provide technical help if you need it.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Disc brakes absolutely. I'd strongly recommend Kodiak over Tie-Down Engineering.

Electric/Hydraulic brake controller absolutely. It is NIGHT and DAY difference compared to surge brake systems.

Also, you will find wheels and tires on eBay as well as Champion Trailers. You local tire shop can get the Pacer 'Outlaw II' wheel for about $100 bucks and you can go with bigger trailer tires at that point.

There are DOZENS of discussions about trailer tires on here. General consensus is stay away from Carlisle tires. Goodyear Marathon and some LT truck tires are the way to go.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on disk,,,, and elec over hyd if you can swing it
Old 09-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on disk. drums are terrible on boat trailer. E/O if you have $$. Kodiak stainless if the trailer sees salt water.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Registered

Great, if there are any links to companies that make a kit, please post of PM me!, sounds like discs are the way to go, boat will never see salt [or brackish] water.

Just curious?, why are drums terrible on a boat trailer?,

Thanks Guys!
Michael
Old 09-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hey..
champion will set you up with everything...down to the left nut....go disc...less moving parts, easy maintenance, longevity...initial cost is more than paid for over a short time....drums harbor salt and moisture, too many places for it to hide, no real good way to rinse/dry...unless you live in arizona!
c
Old 09-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I can tell you from experience that you need brakes on both axles . Just bought a new trailer .. This one has 4 disc surge brakes and stops GREAT. My last trailer had discs on 1 axle and they burned up quick so I removed them. I could not tell any difference when I had discs on one axle compared to no brakes at all. Boat is a 24 ft vip vindicator around 5000lbs wet and loaded.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.