Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Help with New Trailer adjustment >

Help with New Trailer adjustment

Notices

Help with New Trailer adjustment

Old 09-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Help with New Trailer adjustment

Just bought a brand new aluminum trailer for my 2000 VIP 2400 vindiactor (Baha style go fast Boat). Trying to get trailer adjusted to boat. Now for my Question. Is there any acceptable amount fot the boat to hang off the back of the bunks..At present the way it is set up there is about 4 inches hanging off. to move it foward I will have to move the winch stand about 16 inches foward to place it in front of the I beams.. Right now its all the way up behind the i beams. Then I am worried it will have too much tongue weight.

Chris
Old 09-25-2009, 10:17 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want to have about 10% of the weight on the tongue. Adjust the boat to get it. Too light and it will float and sway. Too heavy and it will affect your steering but better on the heavy side. 4" overhang is fine however I like to have my bunks extend out past the transom several inches. I like the transom supported.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also raise the winch on the stand, then you wont have to move it so far forward since the stand is at an angle.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You do not want ANY hull hanging off the back of the bunks. This will translate into hull damage over time.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Ditto, with the hull hanging off the end of the bunks you will create a reverse rocker in your hull over time. The bunks should be at least a few inches past the transom.