Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Do you think I should have gotten 4WD? >

Do you think I should have gotten 4WD?

Notices

Do you think I should have gotten 4WD?

Old 10-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Do you think I should have gotten 4WD?

I picked up a 2 Door 2WD Tahoe a couple weekends back. This will be my daily driver as soon as I raise the front end back up a bit and change out from the old school steelies to some bigger black wheels. I did some background and of 121,000 Tahoes built in 1997, this is one of 69 that are:
2 Door
2 WD
LT (all leather and power accessories)
5.7L Gas Engine
Barn Doors
Onyx Black Exterior
Light Grey Interior

It's got 63000 original miles on it, bone stock pristine interior and several exterior mods including shaved front turn signals and GMC front end, shaved bumper, 'glass hood, shaved roof rack, rear roll pan with hidden hitch & airbags, and a few bolt-ons. The original owner even finish sanded and painted the fuel tank since it's visible from the rear.

I had my 1996 2 Door 4x4 Tahoe years ago, and have missed the truck ever since upgrading to a bigger tow vehicle. This 1997 has the 350 Vortec and 3.42 LSD rear end. It hauls ass and still pulled down almost 20mpg on the highway which is where I spend most of my time.

This was ordered and built by an older gentleman to tow his show cars to car shows. Another guy down the street from him bought it earlier this year. He was a mechanic at the GM plant in Ohio where the HBO special "The Last Truck" was filmed. He literally teared up as I left with it. He was the last mechanic to leave the line from the Trailblazer plant in Ohio, and can be seen in the show loading up his tools. He has first right of refusal should I ever decide to sell. The guy was pretty tore up when I bought it, but he has a mortgage and kids to feed. We're the same age (and both named Brian), and I really feel for the guy.

Special thanks to member "sun28int1995" who laid eyes on the truck and test drove it for me.
Attached Thumbnails Do you think I should have gotten 4WD?-tahoe-mini-hawk-003-medium-.jpg   Do you think I should have gotten 4WD?-tahoe-mini-hawk-006-medium-.jpg   Do you think I should have gotten 4WD?-tahoe-mini-hawk-008-medium-.jpg  

Do you think I should have gotten 4WD?-tahoe-mini-hawk-007-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-05-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sydwayz- You will be fine in the 2wd. They ride smooth and get decent mpg. I assume it has positraction, most did. Put a good set of all season tires and it will drive great in the snow up to about 6-8 inches. The SUV has more weight in the back than a pickup. However the tranny in the older trucks were not that strong, tow only in 3rd gear not OD is my suggestion.

Wannabe
Old 10-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Thanks wannabe. The 4WD comment was tongue-in-cheek. I've got the 4x4 dually for when the snow flies.

I don't think I'll be towing that much. It's just a daily driver and it happens to have the hidden hitch. I do think it looks good with the Mini Hawk though! I've been looking into wheels and tires. I am probably going with some 18s and Yokohama tires. The reviews on the Yokohama are phenomenal for the tire/purpose I am looking for.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks good

Nice ride. 2wd=less parts to break.

That movie was really sad to watch. Its easy to pick sides and point fingers in the whole auto mess, but the movie put the real human element to it.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sydwayz. I figured. You know people look at my 2004 2500 Avalanche and didn't realize they made em. Now that you can no longer buy an SUV that is RATED towing at 12,000 lbs I get people asking me about it. The people that used to laugh at me with my plastic sided truck have shut up. In 2012 the GMT 900 goes away and I think that about 7000 lbs will be the max towing of any of the domestic SUV's. I am going to have this Avalanche a LONG time.

Wannabe
Old 10-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I loved my Avalanche as well. It was a great truck for me.

As for the Tahoe, I flew in and drove it home from the Dayton, OH area straight through to Richmond, VA; 600 miles of pouring rain. I hit a dead wolf, yes I said wolf; in the mountains. I was able to put it between the LF tire and the centerline of the engine, but it came out underneath the left rear tire. The whole truck lifted up in the air.

I finally found a WalMart in the middle of West Virginia in the middle of the night where I could buy Rain-X and new wiper blades. (Experience in itself.) About 30 minutes down the road one of the new wiper blades ejects.

It was quite the adventure coming home, but well worth the effort. I love the truck. I can't wait to polish it off with a few more mods.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Thanks wannabe. The 4WD comment was tongue-in-cheek. I've got the 4x4 dually for when the snow flies.

I don't think I'll be towing that much. It's just a daily driver and it happens to have the hidden hitch. I do think it looks good with the Mini Hawk though! I've been looking into wheels and tires. I am probably going with some 18s and Yokohama tires. The reviews on the Yokohama are phenomenal for the tire/purpose I am looking for.
Black is not my color(except for women ) but the lowered look is great on that vehicle. I like the hood too. Wheels and tires will dress it up. do you like Moto Metal wheels? I may put a set of the 953 dually wheels on my truck. Best looking dually wheels I've ever seen;

http://www.motometal.net/moto-metal-953.html
Old 10-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I am leaning toward the Boss 338 wheel; 18" in black with polished lip.

Might even add the old-fashioned knock-offs on them too; depending on the look.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-06-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

My first one; the day I bought my first go-fast:
Attached Thumbnails Do you think I should have gotten 4WD?-dscf0006crop-smaller.jpg  
Old 10-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I am leaning toward the Boss 338 wheel; 18" in black with polished lip.

Might even add the old-fashioned knock-offs on them too; depending on the look.
Do the black, you don't have any chrome on your truck. I think the all-black Rock Stars would look good too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.