Notices

7.3 Diesel Help

Old 11-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7.3 Diesel Help

Experience problem when cold. Sounds like it is running on 6 of the 8 cyc . Sputters and misses for about 5 miles . Then runs fine . If run hard for 2 miles it clears up. Thanks for any help you can give !!help ?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dencam7
Experience problem when cold. Sounds like it is running on 6 of the 8 cyc . Sputters and misses for about 5 miles . Then runs fine . If run hard for 2 miles it clears up. Thanks for any help you can give !!help ?
Are you using any fuel treatments? Have you changed the fuel filter? Sounds to me, something along those lines. I personally use the AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate to help lubricate the fuel pump and clean the injectors.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:59 PM

How many miles are on your truck?
Old 11-13-2009, 05:19 PM
jfm
Registered

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Are you using any fuel treatments? Have you changed the fuel filter? Sounds to me, something along those lines. I personally use the AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate to help lubricate the fuel pump and clean the injectors.
I have to agree. You can notice the difference. I have an account so if you want some I can get it for you dealer cost. I use all there products for my trucks and boats so I opened a dealer account.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Registered

It is your intake heater not working and/or some of your glow plugs not working. The glow plugs have a relay on top of the motor next to a starter relay. check that first. Should not have a need for fuel treatment if all is working correctly. Good luck,
Old 11-13-2009, 07:11 PM

If the truck has over 100k miles it is more than likely injectors sticking, if it was the glow plugs or intake air heater the problems would not take 5 miles to correct itself. I had this on my truck last June and determined it was the #4 injector, I ordered a reman injector from Pensacola Diesel and all was well again. It is now starting to do the same as another injector is sticking so, always looking to upgrade, I ordered a complete set of larger injectors from Bean's Diesel Performance.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:17 PM

As far as the fuel treatment is concerned, I highly recommend using it especially since the introduction of ULSD fuel. My Excursion 7.3 has 185k miles using treatment with no fuel system problems whatsoever, yet my F-450 that the previous owner did not use treatment in started having injector problems at 120k miles. I treat every other tank of fuel and change fuel filter every 10k miles with my trucks.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Registered

Sounds like injectors, I had the same problem with my 06 ford. The dealer told me the injectors were misfiring and I had to replace 3 of them.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Registered

I use this, it comes with good regards on the diesel forums:
http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=1
Lubricity formula, every fill up.

Not sure if this is just imagination but my truck stopped stumbling and quit it's black smoke puff after 4 hours of towing the boat. Higher duty cycle and a LOT of flow through the injectors may have helped.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue and it was a bad glow plug relay for me. The truck was very hard to start at anything lower then 40 degrees and any colder then 30 damn near impossible. Then when started it would run real bad. Once I replaced the glow plug relay it all worked well. I can if I have to start the truck at -5 with out being plugged in. It hates it but I had to do it once last year. My relay tested OK but was not passing enough current.

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.