Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Possibly the future of automobiles >

Possibly the future of automobiles

Notices

Possibly the future of automobiles

Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Hydrogen power will be the future. Hydrogen gas was not the problem in the Hindenberg disaster, it was the explosive dope covering the entire canvas. Most people could use a small solar panel and a cheap hydrogen generator in their own garages to power their automobiles. It does take energy for electrolysis of water to hydrogen. This could be done very cheaply with nuclear energy, solar panels, wind turbines, etc.....
There are two ways to use hydrogen as a combustible gas in a piston type engine or as hydrogen cell which has the most promise. The cell generates electricity which would power an electric motor, or a computer, etc....Hydrogen would run in your current car but would not do well at idle do to weak valve seal. But almost any engine could be modified to run on hydrogen. I like the idea of this since I can never see myself driving a weak boring electric car.
BMW has a car that can run on hydrogen or gas with the press of a button. People are already using hydrogen to power hot rods, cobras. GE is apparently close to releasing efficient hydrogen generators that do not use precious metal.
What I like about the idea of this is that we could could tell the Middle East to kiss our butts, we don't need you any more. Imagine what it would do to the price of gas if the President would say that in 10 years the U.S. will be powered by 30% hydrogen. I think that we're in real trouble if we don't make this work. I ask everyone to search out info. on hydrogen power, there could be some great business opportunity there as well. I like the idea of multifuel vehicles like the SuperChief. You could use whatever fuel is cheaper that day, or you could use whatever fuel is available where you are. California was mandated to have 100 Hydrogen filling stations from North to South in 2010!
Attached Thumbnails Possibly the future of automobiles-h2fillingstations.gif   Possibly the future of automobiles-hydrogensuperchief-engine-pic.jpg   Possibly the future of automobiles-hydrogen_arnold_630px.jpg  

Possibly the future of automobiles-hydrogensuperchief-f250-pickup-trk.jpg  
Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well they're going to have to make the fuel cells fireproof. Have you seen that youtube video where arsonists set fire to that hydrogen car? The resulting explosion blew up everything within a 100ft radius.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked for your video of the car exploding you got a link? I sure could not find it. What do you think would happen if your gas tank caught fire? Probably worse.

From a test of a fuel cell.

Hydrogen tanks have been put through series of demanding safety tests. They have been completely engulfed in flames at over 1,650°F for up to 70 minutes, perforated by solid objects (such as armor-piercing bullets), and squeezed until they break with safety valves completely blocked. Sometimes the gas leaked out, sometimes it burnt, but it never exploded

Would your gas tank hold up to any of that?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't find it either. Maybe it was on a website I found, I don't know. All I can say is there was a whole lotta destruction...