Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Electric winch: a plan, advice welcome >

Electric winch: a plan, advice welcome

Notices

Electric winch: a plan, advice welcome

Old 12-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric winch: a plan, advice welcome

Trailering a 10K (loaded) 32ft Regal on triaxle with Fulton T3700 hand winch. Wife is not able to manage the hand winching when loading, so we can only go out when someone goes with us that can manage the winch. Looking at remote power winch as alternative.

When loading, I power the boat up to a PVC guide-on mounted on the winch pedestal which indicates distance to the bow stop. Then while holding power, the hand winch is tightened to take up slack. I'd use the same procedure with a remote electric winch, such that I could do it myself. Not interested in a winch that will pull the boat up the trailer as I don't want to put that much strain on the bow eye. Looking for a remote winch that will allow me to take up the slack as the boat is up against the bow stop and be sufficient to hold the boat once secured with stern straps. (hope this makes sense)

Looking at the Powerwinch NC35 which as a line capacity of 4.3Klbs (roughly equiv to the Fulton). They also make an NC30 which is about double this capacity. Most guides I look at recommend, under normal conditions, a winch load ratio (to weight) of 1:2 assuming decent, alignment type bunks. I believe the NC35 should be adequate. What think ye?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:05 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you already have a plan. Methinks that maybe you are over thinking it just a bit. I have a cat and basically do the same as you. Drive it on the trailer and might need the winch just on the last few feet and to hold it in place. I bought a cheap 12v marine winch off of ebay and mounted it on my ladder up front. Mounted a battery in my front tool box with a solar charger. No need for an expensive winch. Works great!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I think you could adjust your retrieval procedure a bit and not have to worry about it. I like the PVC post/idea beside the winch. Why not make one for each side and create a no fail setup?

VERY rare (practically never) do I power a boat onto a trailer.

Get your wife to handle the truck and backing down trailer down into the water, and you will can handle the rest by yourself. Keep a can of Spray Silicone handy in the truck/toolbox to quicklube the bow roller before she even brings the truck over to the ramp. Have her wet ALL the bunks and then pull back up forward to where you need the trailer for landing the boat.

Land the boat on the trailer to the point where it's not going to float off backwards. Do this with the same effort of lightly beaching the boat. Then kill the motor(s).

Then leave the cockpit and go up and hook the winch strap yourself and winch the boat the rest of the way up onto the bow stand.

If the weight of the boat is too heavy to winch up, have your wife back down into the water about 6 inches at a time.

Make sure you go back and trim the drives up or have someone else do this. (I wish we had pocket remotes to do this.)

Teach her how to GENTLY brake-torque the truck up the ramp to avoid wheel spin and you are golden.

NEVER rely on JUST your winch/strap for the keeping the bow eye attached to the trailer. You need a separate safety chain and/or ratchet straps. Ratchet straps anchored toward backward will keep the boat from moving forward on the trailer during a panic stop.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-30-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:49 AM
Registered

I agree with an electric winch. Just read the capacity of your hand winch at the outer diameter and match it. Also, wiring a battery to the power plug of your trailer can charge from your truck and the battery can double as you brake safety as well so you don't have to worry about it being charged. I would get a true wireless remote. I put one with a plug-in remote and wish I had a wireless.
I have a 47 Fountain and always trailer it, so I've gotten very good at launching and retrieving it, but I got tired of driving home hot and sweaty after cranking the winch (doesn't take much on a hot summer day)
Old 12-31-2009, 08:51 AM
Registered

maybe just try backing the trailer further in the water, and drive the boat to the bowstop?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Registered

Brian, thx for well thot out response. I've done this...silicone spray, wet the bunks, et al. If I back the trailer in deeper, the stern floats and I end up too high on the bow stop. Then when we pull out, the stern settles, and theres a 3-4" gap between the bow and bow stop. And the winch won't correct this once I'm out of the water. I spent a whole day trying different positions on the ramp.

Seemed like the only way to keep the bow on the bow stop in the right position is to hold rpms while the winch is tightened. So using an electric with remote would allow me to hold the rpms while I snug up the winch. Concur...NEVER rely on just winch strap to anchor bow.

pookie...since the orig post I've read some bad feedback on the powerwinch remotes, so now looking at Strongarm TW9000 electric that uses a 20ft cable lanyard to control the switch.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by 70runner
... Then when we pull out, the stern settles, and theres a 3-4" gap between the bow and bow stop. And the winch won't correct this once I'm out of the water...
But a good set of trailer brakes will!

This may not work for you and I realize it's not the answer to your initial questions, but I'll throw it out there anywayz:

On a winch strap I put a Sharpie mark on the strap right where the loose end of the strap contacts the spool. On a cable, do this with a couple winds of electrical tape or zip-ties.

That way no matter what angle, no matter what ramp, no matter how deep, no matter who is at the winch stand; you know how far to have the boat up on the trailer.

I recommend slapping a safety chain on the bow eye before you pull the boat up the ramp on straight bottom boats. This way if the cable/winch snaps you have a backup plan. On a step bottom boat, the bunk configuration will normally not allow the boat to slide off backwards.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-03-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Registered

Brian, yes I use a safety chain. Good idea on marking the strap, thats pretty much what I use the PVC for.

And, trailer brakes (conversion from surge to EOH) is on my to-do list.