Notices

2500 HD 6.0 gas

Old 01-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by double_trouble
Nice to hear from you all. I am now renting a slip at Port Superior Marina just south of Bayfield (Lake Superior). They've got some great deals right now. If my truck does not handle it well, we'll leave her there and forego the usual trips to Door County, etc., until we find a better tow vehicle. It sounds like I'll be fine for an occasional short trip, as long as I'm not racing anyone. I agree with the poster who said a class V hitch would be a good thing. The tuner is interesting, we'll wait and see. I like to spend my time and money tinkering with the boat, not the truck. But safety is always important. I am covered on the insurance side of things.

I will have eletric over hydralic disc brakes on all six wheels. This is a steel trailer being custom built by Loadmaster in Ohio. What do I watch for to make sure there is not a catatophic trailer failure, such as failing brakes?!? A few things I can think of is clean the plug connections well and check the hydralic fluid before towing.

heat is what kills brakes...dont ride them
Old 01-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Registered

Default Lift is bad I assume

I have a possible line on 2002 F350 Crew, 7.3 turbo diesel, 4x4, 80,000 miles, but it has a lift and big tires. I am told it has not been beat on, but I have not traveled to look at it. I am thinking the lift is a bad thing, probably enough so to rule out the truck? I will be towing a Formula 310 Sun Sport, which I estimate to be a 14,000 lb load with trailer and fuel.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You do not want to tow that kind of weight unless you have a stock suspension dually.

That said, I don't think any F350 is rated to tow that kind of weight. Check out the first thread in this truck and trailer section to look up weight ratings.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Registered

Take your boat to a truck weight, I think you will be surprized. If the weight comes in below 12K your options are far greater than if not.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Registered

Default tow weight formula 310 ss

That is a good idea to get it weighed. This is a surprisingly heavy boat, I have to think its not under engineered, which is all good when you go out on Lake Superior with your family. It all adds up to more than I first imagined.

My estimate of up to 14,000 is as follows:

Formula spec on boat weight: 9,750 lbs approx
(Not sure if having twin 6.2's adds to this.)
130 gallons of fuel at 6.2 lbs/gallon: 800 lbs
30 gallons of water at 8 lbs/gallon: 240 lbs
36 gallons holding tank at 8 lbs/gallon: 288 lbs
Gear (extra anchors, inflatable dinghy, blender, etc): 500 lbs
Tri axle steel trailer weight: 2500-3000 lbs

Total: 14,000 - 14,500 lbs
Old 04-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Registered

Default Works fine but may need new shocks?

I pulled the boat 330 miles on Monday with the 2500HD Crew w/ 6.0 gas. I upgraded to class V hitch equipment, but no weight distribution. The trailer is a brand new Loadmaster (the Loadmaster from Ohio) with 3 axles. The trip went quite well. The trailer felt stable and I was able to maintain speeds around the speed limit most of the time. There were no issues with anything overheating and I did not seem to be running high rpm's, unless it was the occasional uphill, in which I slowed down a bit to ease the strain on the engine. The only issue I had was certain stretches of interstate seemed to induce a very short and choppy rocking motion from front to back. Do I need new shocks?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dt at some point you're going to need a diesel. Do your due diligence and drive all three. But actually I think that 2001 Powerstroke would be a great truck for you. Number one you can get a great deal on it and two you can take that ridiculous lift suspension and huge tires off and return the suspension to stock. The 7.3 is a very good motor and will last a long time with proper maintenance and TLC.

Buy it now and tow the rig with it. If it doesn't feel right take the lift off and buy a set of 17" stock tires. I think that truck came with 16" tires. The 17" will be better for your application and the load you'll be towing.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Registered

Default towing

Hi there a 2500 hd will handle the load and i have lots of friends that tow their trailers gas and diesel if u set the truck up right and give your self plenty of stopping distance, but if u can get a slip at the marina where u go boating the that will be a better choice if not then that truck will do the job.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=lanediesel;3098093]Hi there a 2500 hd will handle the load and i have lots of friends that tow their trailers gas and diesel if u set the truck up right and give your self plenty of stopping distance, but if u can get a slip at the marina where u go boating the that will be a better choice if not then that truck will do the job. If u can get a diesel then do so u wont go wrong a F250 will do the job with no problem, the only difference between a F250 and a F350 is the the springs. Get a 250 and up grade the suspension and that will do for towing, get an programer for the engine and u got a great truck.