Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
First look: The Ford 6.7L Scorpion diesel >

First look: The Ford 6.7L Scorpion diesel

Notices

First look: The Ford 6.7L Scorpion diesel

Old 03-12-2010, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm looking at an '08 leftover 353 and frankly I'm not sure what rating on a tow rig i neeed to be legal. To be safe, I figure a 13k rating.

22 mpg (unloaded) on a truck rated to tow this would be awesome.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Sound like it will be about right. Dont forget wheelbase is king
-Mike
Old 03-12-2010, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Yes the 6R140 with PTO but not a manual.
It's too bad a manual will not be offered. My 1st and 2nd gears are 5.98 and 3.96 which is what you need to get a heavy load moving plus not having to use a gas-guzzling 4.88 like the F350s and F450s have to use for their auto trannies. My gear is the 3.73 and is perfect for the 6 speed Getrag manual.
Cat,

Then why couldn't the FORD do the same with the 6 speed auto? ( when we are talking about gear ratios)

I am glad they finally decided to go with a 6 speed auto, personally for pulling a boat out at a steep ramp I rather have a auto. My wife can at least pull me out of the water, if it was manual, no way.

Does seem funny not to offer one though, for all other use I would prefer it.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
lets get real here, anyone who has a 30-40k rig to tow a 100k+ boat could care less how much mpg it gets and is probably gonna trade it next year anyways so how long it lasts is not a concern. they are more worried about how many tuners they can stack to
get it to pull 1000ftlbs on the dyno before it blows up in ablaze of warranty covered glory.
Its the rest of us po-boys who have to hang on to our truck for 10+ years that care about long term implications. My 20 year old 7.3 powerstroke E350 with 250k+ miles can still pull a house and not sweat it. And I dont have to morgate my left nut to own it..
Back in the early '90s I had an E150 towing my first boat(23' Sea Ray) and it got maybe 8-10mpg. I always wanted an E250 7.3.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Cat,

Then why couldn't the FORD do the same with the 6 speed auto? ( when we are talking about gear ratios)

I am glad they finally decided to go with a 6 speed auto, personally for pulling a boat out at a steep ramp I rather have a auto. My wife can at least pull me out of the water, if it was manual, no way.

Does seem funny not to offer one though, for all other use I would prefer it.
You can get an F350 4x4 4.10 and your wife won't have any trouble pulling the boat up the ramp. Just put it in 4low and go. And from what I've read the Scorp gets much better fuel mileage than the 6.4.

Like I said I like the 2011 Fords with the new Scorpion diesel. If you've got the ways and means, option up to the King Ranch. Your wife will not want to get out of it.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Registered

Right now we use our paid for 1996 7.3, no problem.

But it does have a bunch of miles on it 87K
I worked for a supplier to just about every car company in the world for 13 years. After working VERY close with the product teams, there is no way I will ever buy a first year from anyone. Jap, German, Korean or American. You would not believe what doesn’t get done and just put onto the to do list for the next year. Remember, it’s a number game, how many warranty repairs compared to the cost of delaying production.

I'll wait until they work the bugs out, does sound like it will be nice. I like the Cummins motor but not the rest of it, and the Fords just look killer to me and have the best interior. Everyone likes different ones though.

I didn't read the whole article, did this come out of their diesel design center in Europe? Sounds like it from the use of the casting material (CGI), the Europeans have been using that on small car diesels for a few years now.

Just wondering.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
You can get an F350 4x4 4.10 and your wife won't have any trouble pulling the boat up the ramp. Just put it in 4low and go. And from what I've read the Scorp gets much better fuel mileage than the 6.4.

Like I said I like the 2011 Fords with the new Scorpion diesel. If you've got the ways and means, option up to the King Ranch. Your wife will not want to get out of it.
Just so you guys know.. Mine is (trading it in on Monday) a 2008 6.4 litre F350 DRW with the tight turning radius F450 front end.. Only offered in 2010..love the truck no problems, has 40012 miles.. With the 3.73 gears I never had to use 4 low..even on steep ramps. The truck and the trailer were very well balanced...The dealer put 34500.00 in my truck..so if any one wants it you can still buy it for the same plus paperwork charge of 297.00 ...
Attached Thumbnails First look: The Ford 6.7L Scorpion diesel-royal-purple-poker-run-12-.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned

Right now we use our paid for 1996 7.3, no problem.

But it does have a bunch of miles on it 87K
I worked for a supplier to just about every car company in the world for 13 years. After working VERY close with the product teams, there is no way I will ever buy a first year from anyone. Jap, German, Korean or American. You would not believe what doesn’t get done and just put onto the to do list for the next year. Remember, it’s a number game, how many warranty repairs compared to the cost of delaying production.

I'll wait until they work the bugs out, does sound like it will be nice. I like the Cummins motor but not the rest of it, and the Fords just look killer to me and have the best interior. Everyone likes different ones though.

I didn't read the whole article, did this come out of their diesel design center in Europe? Sounds like it from the use of the casting material (CGI), the Europeans have been using that on small car diesels for a few years now.

Just wondering.
87k is "a bunch of miles" huh lol. A lot of people say they wait till the next year to buy or not to buy depending on what problems crop up and how they fix them.

The new 2010 Dodge Ram HDs are very nice inside, and pickuptrucks,com mentioned how much better the Dodge rides compared to the 2011 Fords and they say the hydroform mounts are the reason why.

When I trade it will be for another Dodge. The 2nd gen 6.7 will solve all the emissions issues inside the motor which will remove the DPF and EGR. Not only that, for very little money the Cummins races past the Ford and GM diesels in power and torque.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Registered

Are they going to have the new look of the smaller 1500?

For me both are good trucks, I don't think u can go wrong.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Banned

Are they going to have the new look of the smaller 1500?

For me both are good trucks, I don't think u can go wrong.
From what I understand, the only difference on the front is the HD's hood is 4" taller than the 1500's, but I admit I haven't compared them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.