Notices

Chevy Avalanche

Old 04-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Avalanche

Hey guys, I currently have an 04' Envoy XL with an Inline 6. The boat/trailer weights roughly 5,500-6,000 plus or minus a little depending on fuel in the boat. The Envoy's hitting 130,000 miles and is really only rated to tow 5,000lbs. I'm not looking to spend more than 25k so my options are kind of limited. I'm looking into the following cars. I'm hoping you guys can fill me in on towing capabilities, everyday usage, ride, comfortably, and versatility. Gas mileage is not an issue. All of the following come with a V8. Looking at the 6.0 for the Avalanche.

05'-08' Envoy
07-09'- Chevy Avalanche
05'-07'- Suburban
05'-08- Tahoe
I'm only one person, So I'm not sold on getting another big SUV. This envoy xl was handed down to me a couple years ago. I'm open to any other suggestions. I would guess the avalanche is best at towing. A towing comparison of the envoy to the avalanche would also be very helpful.

Thank you
Old 04-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

The longer wheelbase is what will make the towing much better. With the amount of weight you have, you will be fine with the Suburban or Avalanche.

I happen to like the avalanche. I am not sure what year Chevy stopped putting the 8.1 liter in the Avalanches as the 2500 series, but that was a great combo and the difference in gas mileage from the 6.0 to the 8.1 was only 1 mpg better, but the power difference was alot. Just a thought.

Also any of the newer pickups with 4 doors is pretty much like having a SUV anyway.

Go with somethin with a long wheelbase.

I towed a 25' checkmate with a 2003 Tahoe with AIRRIDE suspension, I liked it and it towed well, but I am sure others will chime in and say the Tahoe probably isn't the best choice. I think the tow rating for that truck was around 7900lbs.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Registered

Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche all in 1500 5.3L trim will be fine. All are nice trucks for everyday living too. Add the Silverado/Sierra to that list.

My '00 Silverado with 5.3 has 210K miles and has been a great vehicle. Comfortable, nice road manners, reasonable on fuel, and more than capable of towing loads you describe. All of those trucks are based on the same platform. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BowenCT
Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche all in 1500 5.3L trim will be fine. All are nice trucks for everyday living too. Add the Silverado/Sierra to that list.

My '00 Silverado with 5.3 has 210K miles and has been a great vehicle. Comfortable, nice road manners, reasonable on fuel, and more than capable of towing loads you describe. All of those trucks are based on the same platform. Good luck!
not huge on the full pickups....... I do like the half pickup though. Looks very finished and gives you that security of leaving stuff in the bed. Also just don't like the look fully. I drove the tundra, Ram 1500, Ford F-150, Titan....... wasnt impressed.

PS- Looking at the Avalanche LTZ 6.0. Says towing capacity is 8,000lbs. Any thoughts on how it would tow in comparison to the envoy?
Old 04-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Registered

You can still get a HD Suburban/Yukon XL with the 6.0 but I don't know what transmission they're putting behind them these days. The 6.0 with the 4L80E trans feels like a dog.

Silverado/Sierra ext/crew cab would be ideal. Still has leaf spring so it tows great. The 1/2 ton SUVs have multi-point rear coil suspension so they'll wiggle a bit more. But they should be ok up to 6k lbs.

The design changed in '07-08 (depending on pickup vs SUV), but I think around '05 there were a few "MAX" trucks that were 1/2ton that got the 6.0L/4L65E. That right there is the perfect truck.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
PS- Looking at the Avalanche LTZ 6.0. Says towing capacity is 8,000lbs. Any thoughts on how it would tow in comparison to the envoy?
Nice truck and will tow 6K with ease. That truck vs. an Envoy will be night and day with the Av being substantially better.

I also have a TrailBlazer SS (same platform as Envoy) and it happens to have a 6.0, it doesn't tow as well as my 5.3 Silverado. Sure it has plenty of power (400hp), but light weight and short wheelbase don't make it a very good tow vehicle.

You'll really like the Av LTZ.

Last edited by BowenCT; 04-28-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Registered

The Avalanche, Suburban, Escalade, and Escalade EXT are all on the same frame and share drivetrains, just in different configurations. The Av. and EXT feels smaller than the Burbs or Esc. even though they're not. I love my Av. it's the best of both worlds SUV/Pickup. If you need more info on Avalanches try their Fan Club site. http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/index.html
Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vindicator101
The Avalanche, Suburban, Escalade, and Escalade EXT are all on the same frame and share drivetrains, just in different configurations.
Not exactly. Built on the same platform yes, drivetrains, no. The Escalade ESV/EXT have 6.2L motors and 6spd. trannys.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Registered

I own or have owned every vehicle that you have listed. No need to go with the 6.0 gas hog when you are only pulling 6k lbs. A SUV with a 5.3 will pull that kind of weight just fine. Before I bought a Duramax I pulled 8K lbs very well with a 5.3 truck. My wife has a 08 Trailblazer SS. I do not recommend one of those for towing. Jeff Wurl
Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

AV has a 6.0?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.