Notices

help with some terms for a newb

Old 05-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danedee
Maybe if/when this gets an answer, it'll be a stickey...

I have a Jeep GC Limited, it's an 05, and i'm pulling a 05 Fountain 27 fever behind it, or rather, i'm planning on it. The weight of the boat is supposed to be 4500lbs, and the jeeps tow rating in the owners manual says that its 5500 lbs. so... it seems i should be fine.

But some questions, what is 'weight distributed' trailering, and how do you identify if my trailer/truck/hitch is 'weight distributing'?

How do you determine tongue weight.

what are axle ratios? are they important to me? why? how do i find mine?

How do you know what 'class' your hitch is.... mine came installed from JEEP.

I'm planning on going some distance.... from NY to NH, so.... any tips i should be aware of...? i remember the first time i towed a trailer, i almost blew through the EZ-Pass lane on the interstate... can't use EZ pass with a trailer... they count axles. whups.

Yes, i'm a newb.... be gentle.
If you refer to the sticky thread at the top, you'll see that your Jeep has 3500, 6500 and 7200lb tow ratings depending on the engine. I don't know what your boat and all the gear for a day on the water weighs, but 5000lbs sounds reasonable. Add in the trailer weight(at least 500lbs) and you see how quickly the poundage adds up. BUT if you have the 4.7L V8 or the 5.7L Hemi you should be ok.

However, if you have the V6 you will be overloaded and if you have an accident and the insurance company determines that you are, it will not honor your claim. You really do not want to take that chance.

Some years ago I bought a boat from a guy who lived in North Carolina. At the time, my truck was a Ford Ranger with the 160hp V6 and a towing package. I put a frame-mounted hitch and new air shocks on it and drove the 1400 miles to pick it up. I knew I was in trouble when I hooked it up and the tongue weight put the wheel wells almost on top of the tires. So much for the air shocks. I bought a 6" drop hitch and put the ball on upside down so the trailer would ride level.

Anyways, the drive back took me three days instead of the two days it took to get to the boat. It was the worst white-knuckle experience I ever had pulling a trailer. I didn't get over 50mph and could not use my cruise control for 1400 miles. My right leg and foot were so tired I could barely walk when I got out of the truck. The truck had no go and wouldn't stop either. I kept at least 50 yards between me and the vehicle ahead of me.

If you have the V6 and try to tow that Fountain with it you will no doubt experience the same sweaty trip I had. Trust me you do NOT want to do that.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i think that's the wrong truckster for that boat...brake size and wheel base are crucial...most trucks can pull anything, given time....but how does it handle and stop?....
be safe, not sorry...
c