Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Trailer comes loose and KILLS two... >

Trailer comes loose and KILLS two...

Notices

Trailer comes loose and KILLS two...

Old 06-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Trailer comes loose and KILLS two...

It happens--double check your setup!

http://www.startribune.com/local/952...nciaec8O7EyUsl

Crawl underneath and inspect each weld, structure, and fastener.
It's a good idea to replace the ball every once in a while as well. They do wear down.
Check the coupler.
Check the chains.
Check the brakes.
Check the brakes break-away cable/system/battery.
And always run with a locking pin in the top of the coupler.

Check everything on the trailer side too, including the tongue for signs of metal fatigue. Also, make sure your chains are secured with Grade-8 bolts or better so they don't just rip off the trailer if something happens.

Go a step farther here:
http://www.trailerguardian.com/

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-01-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That is so sad!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a trailer come off on my on the highway. It was a little pup up tent one. I did not even know it was off tell I looked in my side view mirror and saw it out the left side then looked in my right side view and it was over there swinging violently back and forth. I got SOOOOO lucky it did not come off. Had to pull over and change the shorts after that. I had used a wire tie to hold down the clasp and some how the tie broke and the clasp lifted and off it came.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a lot of people tow without a pin in the coupler, and I used to on occasion, until I had a 30 ft snowmobile trailer pop of the hitch, break off the cables and sit in the middle of a highway in the middle of the winter. Luckily the first person to pass us was the local police who helped me get it back on the hitch. it was properly seated on the hitch, but somehow popped the hitch...I never tow anything now without a lock or pin in the coupler.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awful- my condolences.

Dave Sampson - AKA:Uncle Dave
Old 06-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

Sad

When i bought my stinger the trailer didnt come with any chains...and every trailer i've towed always had chains that were too long. So i thought i'd do this one a little different. Went to Home depot and got some coiled cables with loops on both ends. And got some stainless quick clip rings. Now its super quick to hookup or disconnect and i dont have to worry about a hook bouncing off. I also changed the trailer connection wiring. I was a west marine one day and saw this 6' coiled trailer cord/connector. They had a variety of them but nothing of what i had in mind so i got the closest one and made my own Now the trailer will not have ANY lights unless they have this cord with them...puls it keeps all the wiring off the ground...nothing hanging when not inuse. Plus in the event it gets stolen there will be no lights and hopfully get pulled over right quick!
Attached Thumbnails Trailer comes loose and KILLS two...-sv101486.jpg   Trailer comes loose and KILLS two...-trailer-harness.jpg   Trailer comes loose and KILLS two...-trailer-plug.jpg  

Trailer comes loose and KILLS two...-trailer-hooked-truck.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Z06
Registered

Very Sad
Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Registered

that is sad. I know almost everybody I boat with tows with an overloaded tow vehicle, no trailer brakes, no breakaways, bad tires etc. I feel like a preacher with them. They think it can't happen to them. Safety has no price, I bought new tires this year just because they were 5 years old. They looked ok but it is time. I check my brakes, tire psi and everything before I pull out of the driveway.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sweet Nmocean
that is sad. I know almost everybody I boat with tows with an overloaded tow vehicle, no trailer brakes, no breakaways, bad tires etc. I feel like a preacher with them. They think it can't happen to them. Safety has no price, I bought new tires this year just because they were 5 years old. They looked ok but it is time. I check my brakes, tire psi and everything before I pull out of the driveway.
That's alright brother, just keep preachin'
Maybe one day they'll listen before it's too late

I've got an old FJ62 Landcruiser. Beast of a truck for off roading, camping and such.

Need to pull airboats (up to about 22'), amphibious vehicles, and some other rescue related gear.

Because the brakes are so crappy on these things and the wheel base is not suiitable for towing...It's not safe.
So, I'm looking to find an Excursion diesel. Right tool for the right job.

I could have gone all day without reading this

R.I.P. daddy and daughter
Old 06-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Registered

Well one of my best friends growing up literally got run over by a STEAM ROLLER. He was working in Atlantic City when a tractor was pulling the roller on a trailer came unhitched at about 60mph, the trailer crossed 3 lanes of traffic, two coming the opposite way, bounced off a curb, through the steam roller and hit my friend. It exploded his calf and sent him up 30 ft in the air, we know this because the crew he was working with saw him higher than the telephone pole, then the roller took out three telephone/electric poles before eventually flipping over to a stop. My friend went through hell, but lived and is in pretty damn good shape. I can finally say I know a guy who got ran over by a Steam Roller!!!

The trailer had ONE chain, that wasn't rated for uhaul box trailer, let alone a massive Steam Roller.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.