Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Chev Avalanche 2500 limitations? >

Chev Avalanche 2500 limitations?

Notices

Chev Avalanche 2500 limitations?

Old 07-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Up here those LE packages are hard to come by and they want all the money for them. What makes yours special is the Short bed thats Key!!!!
-Mike
Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have nitto terra grapplers on my 03 2500 avalanche and love them I will never buy anything but them I have 285 75 16 on the stock wheels and 285 60 18 on my summer wheels tthe 18s are 9 inches wide and the truck is deffinately more stable and my sonic is around 10500 on the traler and it tows very well
Old 07-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger
Up here those LE packages are hard to come by and they want all the money for them. What makes yours special is the Short bed thats Key!!!!
-Mike
Mine came from MASS! Mine is not the short bed though. The short bed belongs to Randy aka "Beak Boater" here on OSO.

I thought I wanted a shortbed, but I'm glad I didn't buy one. I can stuff that bed to the brim, all 8 feet of it on a long weekend.

This is one of the reasons the Avalanche 2500 wasn't cutting the mustard anymore. I'd stuff the back of it to the brim, and then I was cutting down on GVWR capacity as well. I towed it home REALLY heavy one time, with the back FULL of tools and parts and stereo stuff. It blew a rear axle seal, under warranty thankfully.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Gregm35 -

I'm in a similar situation with a 'Burb that has a 12k towing capacity as I recently picked up an 08 353. I checked some numbers and got this from the manufacturers:
353 - 9400 dry
Fuel - 1050
Trailer 2860
TOTAL - 13310 without gear

It's not worth the risk to me to tow over the max rating. I don't need a lawsuit or to provide an excuse to my insurer not to pay if I have an issue. I also don't think mods will mean anyything if you have an accident.

My $.02..
Old 07-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok gentlemen, help me out. I havean 04 avi 1500 373's and 5.3 drivers door says 7000lb gvw. I will be stepping up to a 29 scarab w/twins not sure of the wait as of yet. also I'm running 22 inch aftermarket wheels which have a very wide footprint. I'm currently towing a 24 scarab on tandem axle trailer and you really dont know the thing is behind it. this trailer that i have doesn't have any breaks but the truck came factory setup with electric breaks.just a lil unsure if the 29/trailer setup that i want will taxi my setup or what? I only have 15 miles to our lake and its all flat xpressway.the truck tho a 2004 is still new with only 24k miles on it as its only used in the summer to tow both my boats and not driven in the winter. any advise/input woulod be greatly appreciated.....
Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by chaotic67
ok gentlemen, help me out. I havean 04 avi 1500 373's and 5.3 drivers door says 7000lb gvw. I will be stepping up to a 29 scarab w/twins not sure of the wait as of yet. also I'm running 22 inch aftermarket wheels which have a very wide footprint. I'm currently towing a 24 scarab on tandem axle trailer and you really dont know the thing is behind it. this trailer that i have doesn't have any breaks but the truck came factory setup with electric breaks.just a lil unsure if the 29/trailer setup that i want will taxi my setup or what? I only have 15 miles to our lake and its all flat xpressway.the truck tho a 2004 is still new with only 24k miles on it as its only used in the summer to tow both my boats and not driven in the winter. any advise/input woulod be greatly appreciated.....
If you are stuck on the Avalanche, sell the one you have and go get a used 2500. You can pick them up for a very good price.

Bottom line, you are not going to be able to tow a 29 anything with twins safely with any 1/2 ton anything. You can't raise your tow capacity. Your truck does not have any special brakes on it. It has a round 7 pin connector that you can add a trailer brake controller to with a pigtail under the dash. Also, chances are your 22" wheels and associated tires are not rated for the weight that you are towing now. It's not a matter of taxing you setup. It's a matter of being legal and insurable and safe.

See this thread, or any one of the hundreds of other threads on here over the past 10 year on here where folks are trying to tow a big boat with a little truck. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...city-boat.html

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-27-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Registered

Well syd checked the tire rating on the 22's they are falken 305/40r22 m+s with 2601 @ 50 psi better than I thought concidering my other Chevy half ton z71 oe tires are 265/75R16 are only rated to 2400 lbs so it appears that these wheels/tires are plenty for my truck/boat/trailer and some room to spare
Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

That's good news. I'm not nitpicking, so please don't take it that way. Your wheels themselves should also have a weight rating, either in the manufacturer specs or stamped on the back of the wheel as well.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Registered

no, didn't take it the wrong way. I understand safely and legally. i was just wondering on the power side of my truck if it had enough balls to pull a 29 with twins. again my thoughts are it will pull no problem but the real test would be the launch ramp and retreival. the truck has tow/haul feature so that helps on the road.my truck is going to get all new rotors and calipers hd version just to give a lil bit more stoppingpower. i'm watching a guy here where i live towing a p29 with a 1500 chevy 4x4 and he states that it tows fine but again his truck is a 96 same year as my other truck in fact same truck and i know that the gvw is only 6200 on drivers door.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chaotic67
no, didn't take it the wrong way. I understand safely and legally. i was just wondering on the power side of my truck if it had enough balls to pull a 29 with twins. again my thoughts are it will pull no problem but the real test would be the launch ramp and retreival. the truck has tow/haul feature so that helps on the road.my truck is going to get all new rotors and calipers hd version just to give a lil bit more stoppingpower. i'm watching a guy here where i live towing a p29 with a 1500 chevy 4x4 and he states that it tows fine but again his truck is a 96 same year as my other truck in fact same truck and i know that the gvw is only 6200 on drivers door.
Chaotic: GVW is the weight rating on the truck not including what your towing. GCVWR is the gross combined vehicle weight rating including weight of the towed vehicle. Your Avalanche probably is rated to pull around 7500 and a 29 Scarab with twins is WAY over that. Also of concern are your aftermarket rims, and the rating on them. A number of years ago a member had an aftermarket wheel on an Avalanche break while towing a cargo trailer. The trailer flipped the Avalanche. Sydwayz is right- get a 2500 Avalanche- will pull the Scarab safely within limits.

Wannabe