Notices

putting boat on stands

Old 07-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting boat on stands

have a 30ft formula would like to redo and paint my trailer this winter. is there a way i could put my boat on stands? or do i need to have a marina do that with a lift?
Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Registered

I've been thinking of doing this myself..... but I think it's sort of a ballbuster, and might be worth having it taken off with the "forks". Hopefully some guys have some ideas.....
Old 07-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It is not that hard. Get some stands and put a pair on the trim tabs. Make sure you have them on solid ground and chain them together so that they can not split apart. Then using a bottle jack or jack or ..... lift the bow up a little bit to get the weight off the trailer and slid the trailer forward tell you get to a cross member. Then set it down, reposition the jack, lift and pull forward again, and keep doing that tell the trailer is out. Then set up some stands forward on the boat. Takes about 30 min or so. The other thing you can do is have a tow truck come over and lift up the bow and drive it out.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Registered

so your trying to say my trim tabs are going to support my 7900lbs plus boat up????!!!!!????
Old 07-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get hold of a hydraulic trailer that is made to do that. If you are on the East Coast I know a guy who has one.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think he meant to put the stands on the trim tabs. As far aft and outboard as you can get them without going on the tabs.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The 'procedure' has been posted a few times here in the past. AudioFN capuslated it though. Do a search.

Or just swing by your local marina and see if they will let you rent a set of Yard-Arms for a few hours. You will want a flatbed trailer with a ramp to roll them onto. They are HEAVY!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Registered

how do the (yard arms) work?
i'm around the nashville tn area
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered

I lowered the jack on the trailer as low as possible which brings the stern up. Then position two jackstands with some wood cribbing as close to the azz end of the boat at the corners and then raised the trailer jack as high as it would go. I also built a stand out of 8 2x4's which allowed me to put chainfall and a strap on the front hook and raise the bow. I then pulled the trailer out and lowered the bow down on another jackstand. In all with building my little stand and placing the jacks it took about an hour and half and i had help from the wife. When she gets home ill post pics.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mookster
so your trying to say my trim tabs are going to support my 7900lbs plus boat up????!!!!!????
Well I guess it depends on what kind of trim tabs you have. If you have K-planes or similiar then you will be fine if you have bennets then you can not do it this way. Just keep it close to the transome. ussually you only need to do this for the first move on the trailer just to get it so you can get the stands under the boat. If you can get the jacks on the boat that is better but not always possible.

The guy that did this for me when I took mine off was a rigger so I assume he knew what he was doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.