Notices

2011 GM Trucks.......

Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good read.. Im considering a new 3500 also.

My concern is the Urea system on it.. Ive heard that if you run it dry, the truck goes into limp mode at 5mph. And the only place to get the urea topped off is the dealership??

So what happens if you change your own oil, how can you get the urea?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U can get urea at a truck stop. Plus its a lot cheaper then the dealer will sale it. U go thru it quicker then the dealer or the book says to.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there another name for the Urea? I cant find it anywhere online besides at pharmacies
Old 07-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Registered

Urea is nothing new to Diesels. Mercedes has had it for a few years on their cars and most people did not even know about it. . They just call it bluetech. Jeff Wurl
Old 07-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pipeliner
U can get urea at a truck stop. Plus its a lot cheaper then the dealer will sale it. U go thru it quicker then the dealer or the book says to.
yep, pretty much any truck stop, speedco (jiffy lube for big trucks), or other truck stop places carry bottles of urea..I would think, (but havnt even attempted to look) that autoparts stores would cary it eventually also. Alot of truck stops are going to start putting urea pumps, like diesel pumps.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dodge made a calculated decision not to go with urea in its 2500/3500 trucks, using DPF instead. The cab&chassis trucks(3500/4500/5500) have urea. From what I've read about urea, it gets rid of soot better than the DPFs and doesn't require nearly as much regen which raises fuel mileage. So if you have a urea truck you're better off.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
here you go..The Ford had a softer ride, out accelerated the GM with a heavy load and got better mileage doing it. To me they are all good, Im waiting to drive the new Chevy on whether Im trading my one Duramax in for another or getting my 3rd Ford for the year..

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...omparison-test
I think that number might have been an error (loaded 0-60 times) you read?

The GM was faster in every speed measure while towing (1/4, etc) and in the text they state it was quicker by nearly a second. The times are 18.7 vs 19.9 for the Ford.

I like how the Ford doesn't do what a 3/4 ton is made to do best (tow), or get the best mileage......but wins? Because it's a better unloaded cruiser and has more gadgets nobody really uses on a site (unless they don't own a laptop). I have a feeling the fact Ford is the current media darling just may be playing into this here......
Old 07-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that all the big 3 have done hidden mirrored imaging of the factory program and that if any truck comes in "tuned" it detects this and they notify you that your warranty is voided on the spot.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hp500efi
I have heard that all the big 3 have done hidden mirrored imaging of the factory program and that if any truck comes in "tuned" it detects this and they notify you that your warranty is voided on the spot.

Lol that's funny right there. All of the aftermarket companies figure out how to bypass this before the product goes out the door. If they couldn't bypass they wouldn't sale any products.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pipeliner
Lol that's funny right there. All of the aftermarket companies figure out how to bypass this before the product goes out the door. If they couldn't bypass they wouldn't sale any products.
Not really.

The newer programs track any changes from stock pretty damn well.

What's funny is that people are pissed that they can't boost up their powertrains, break something, and then expect the OEM to warranty it!

If you bought a 496 HO, tuned it, whipple charged it and blew a gasket.....should Merc warranty it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.