Notices

Let's talk wheel spacers...

Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk wheel spacers...

These are new to me..... I want to add 1.5" wheel spacers to the back of my 2500 Suburban so that the rear wheel stance matches the front. I am running 20x9 wheels and 285/55-20E tires. I do tow with it, so I want it to be safe.

Looking around at them has yielded several different types. What kind/style do I want???

Thx.!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you sure you measured correctly? I did this on my '01 Suburban 2500 and the spacers are 1-1/4". Mark the ground on the outside edges of your tires and measure the difference. I got my spacers from performancewheel.com and they are very heavy-duty and safe. I've been running them for almost 6 years and I tow 10,000lbs with no issues.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,210 Likes on 524 Posts

When I bought and ran mine a few years ago, mine were made by CorrecTrack. However, they don't make them anymore. They were steel, and they were SOLID.
Here is some info on the old ones, but the install and grinding info is still valid:
http://mrtruck.net/spacer.htm

In talking with Mark at www.lightning-motorsports.com , he has told me that he has access to and has installed a few different ones. I'd look to someone such as a shop with some experience in these parts.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Registered

Thx. guys!

Plum, I haven't measued at all yet, just figured 1.5s would be the ticket. I will check to be sure before I break out the plastic.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Registered

Brian(Sydwayz) will have a conniption when he reads this BUT, have you actually measured the track width yourself? This was only a real big issue with the earlier 4WDs where it was plainly visible that the front track was wider than the rear. The newer models used a wider rear axle so the difference between front and rear isn't nearly as much. My 2001 was barely noticeable and it pulled my 311 just fine. And if you check the specs, the factory shows only a 1" difference. So if you go with 1.5" on each side...well you can do the math.

I haven't driven a truck with 20s, but I'm wondering if the wider tire/stiffer sidewall tends to follow road imperfections much more than stock? If so, spacers won't help.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Brian(Sydwayz) will have a conniption when he reads this BUT, have you actually measured the track width yourself? This was only a real big issue with the earlier 4WDs where it was plainly visible that the front track was wider than the rear. The newer models used a wider rear axle so the difference between front and rear isn't nearly as much. My 2001 was barely noticeable and it pulled my 311 just fine. And if you check the specs, the factory shows only a 1" difference. So if you go with 1.5" on each side...well you can do the math.

The difference in track width front to back is plainly visible, no question. This is accentuated by the off-set of the aftermarket wheels. I will measure to be sure, but I would say that there is at the very least 1.25" difference per side minimum.

Also, the truck pulls my 303 fine, I am doing it moreso for cosmetic reasons. The added stability is a bonus.

I haven't driven a truck with 20s, but I'm wondering if the wider tire/stiffer sidewall tends to follow road imperfections much more than stock? If so, spacers won't help.
Confused by this comment....? I've had different trucks with 20s for 6-years. Correct, a wider contact patch/more aggressive tread pattern will no question have a tendency to follow road imperfections. What do you mean, "spacers won't help".....won't help what? I am merely trying to even the track width F-to-R.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,210 Likes on 524 Posts

My input on towing with spacers vs. without:

When I towed the exact same setup of 12,000 lbs. back to back; I felt like without the spacers (and factory wheels/tires), that the back of the truck was very tippy. I was scared to take corners at any kind of speed as I felt like the back of the truck was just going to roll over to the outside of the turn.

The spacers and wider wheels/tires made the truck dramatically more laterally stable.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BowenCT
Confused by this comment....? , "spacers won't help".....won't help what?
Spacers won't help with the wandering, that's all. Cosmetics, yes. I doubt you'll notice a stability difference while towing due to the already upgraded tire/wheel combo.

The spacers and wider wheels/tires made the truck dramatically more laterally stable.
The wheels/tires made all the difference. You'd be surprised at the lateral grip in the stock setup. Shall we say "on the dry skidpad" it'll oversteer before it flips and responds well to steering input.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with the comment about lateral stability. It's definitely better with a wider track.

Before:

After:

On 20's

Last edited by Plum_Crazy; 07-23-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Registered

Looks good! Plum, what tire is that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.