Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Need input on truck chassis type, mileage, use and drivetrain?? >

Need input on truck chassis type, mileage, use and drivetrain??

Notices

Need input on truck chassis type, mileage, use and drivetrain??

Old 08-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need input on truck chassis type, mileage, use and drivetrain??

I,m looking to be towing nearly 15K lbs in a 38' boat. I will buy a GMC Duramax but I need info that so far I can't find out.
After looking at 3500 4x4 with high miles I find the prices to be the same for 4500 with low miles????? what gives there???

Anyway, my concern is performance on the ramp and mileage.
Does the mileage of a 4500 chassis and 3500 chassis compare closely or are they as far apart as the chassis design?

On a ramp with all this weight behind a truck....... is a 4500 chassis ok without 4x4 since the tires are so much larger? Is there enough traction and weight in the chassis that 4x4 would not be required????

With the 3500 4x4 is easy to come by and in the 4500 I have not seen a hauler yet that has 4x4 which made me wonder if that was ok on the ramp??????

Help out here if you can.
TIA
Old 08-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call your GMC dealer and ask about the 4x4. I would be surprised if 4x4 is not offered. Dodge offers it in their 4500-5500s.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Registered

I'm not going to buy newer than 06 so everything is already built in this senario. I saw a 4500 dump truck that had 4x4 but that was the only one in listings. The 4x4 was available but most of the "haulers" in listings that I have seen don't have it.

I'm sure some guys use haulers for large boats so I was hoping someone could tell how it goes with or without the 4x4 on 4500. I see them all over the highway but haven't seen one on a boat ramp.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a 2008 with 4x4 for a good price. #4 ad;

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o35361-en.html
Old 08-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

A 2wd pulls a boat out fine. I use a 2wd dodge srw to pull out of very steep ramps with no problems. I even back the rear tires into the water and they never spin even when wet. Now every ramp is different and I am sure some will not work as well for a 2wd as a 4wd.

The 4500 is cheap because it is cheap. Gm priced this truck to sell and they did a good job at it. There is a large supply of used 4500 on the market with a low demand also (in the medium duty market) You get what you pay for. Most 4500 are stripped down and have less ameniteies and comforts then a 3500 pickup. They do make 4wd 4500 and 5500 but they cost more and are harder to find.

My girlfriend owned a new 2006 Gmc 5500 2wd and was not impressed. The duramax was a terd compared to the 3500 pickup. The axle and trans gearing was horrible making the allison hunt for gears up and down all day. Cheap plastic interior. Air ride seat was a joke. 2 times back to dealer for warrenty work and 1 recall. Not a piece of junk just not impressive. There are some nice ones out there you just have to spend some coin. Fuel mileage was single digets hand calculated hauling only 10,000lbs. Poor.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
Here's a 2008 with 4x4 for a good price. #4 ad;

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o35361-en.html
As an 08 that thing is going to burn fuel down the exhaust just to satisfy the emissions that the govt started in 07. That is why I will stop at the 06 year.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
A 2wd pulls a boat out fine. I use a 2wd dodge srw to pull out of very steep ramps with no problems. I even back the rear tires into the water and they never spin even when wet. Now every ramp is different and I am sure some will not work as well for a 2wd as a 4wd.

The 4500 is cheap because it is cheap. Gm priced this truck to sell and they did a good job at it. There is a large supply of used 4500 on the market with a low demand also (in the medium duty market) You get what you pay for. Most 4500 are stripped down and have less ameniteies and comforts then a 3500 pickup. They do make 4wd 4500 and 5500 but they cost more and are harder to find.

My girlfriend owned a new 2006 Gmc 5500 2wd and was not impressed. The duramax was a terd compared to the 3500 pickup. The axle and trans gearing was horrible making the allison hunt for gears up and down all day. Cheap plastic interior. Air ride seat was a joke. 2 times back to dealer for warrenty work and 1 recall. Not a piece of junk just not impressive. There are some nice ones out there you just have to spend some coin. Fuel mileage was single digets hand calculated hauling only 10,000lbs. Poor.

Thanks for the insight. That is pretty much what I wanted to know.
I don't have trouble with 2WD but the most weight I have worked with on a ramp is about 9500. Now I would be up around 15K lbs so I'm doing my homework.
The prices seemed strange so I think the 3500 is probably where I will stay since the mileage drops so bad. I can get 4DR, 4WD, DRW 3500 Duramax and it will do all I need at decent mileage where the 4500 is like you said mostly stripped, 2WD and with poor mileage I guess it is out. The room inside the 4500 looked interesting for comfort but the mileage would make it more like a brand new emission truck.

Is the heavier chassis of the 4500 smoother, towing the same weight, than a 3500?
It looks to me like it would be but I can get some nice Bilstein shocks for a 3500 and probably make it the same.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Thanks for the insight. That is pretty much what I wanted to know.
I don't have trouble with 2WD but the most weight I have worked with on a ramp is about 9500. Now I would be up around 15K lbs so I'm doing my homework.
The prices seemed strange so I think the 3500 is probably where I will stay since the mileage drops so bad. I can get 4DR, 4WD, DRW 3500 Duramax and it will do all I need at decent mileage where the 4500 is like you said mostly stripped, 2WD and with poor mileage I guess it is out. The room inside the 4500 looked interesting for comfort but the mileage would make it more like a brand new emission truck.

Is the heavier chassis of the 4500 smoother, towing the same weight, than a 3500?
It looks to me like it would be but I can get some nice Bilstein shocks for a 3500 and probably make it the same.
Your welcome! Sounds like a good choice. A 3500 GM rides and tows amazing. With the correct tire pressure, shocks, quality hitch reciever set up correctly, maybe rear air bags, and a nice trailer you will be happy. The Bilstein are the best I have found so far. Enjoy your new truck and keep us updated with pics!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you found a tow rig yet? Im THINKING about selling my 06 chevrolet 3500 4x4 duramax crew cab dually LT3 interior...right at 100k miles.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Well I pulled the trigger. Traded in my 07 Suburban 2500 LT3 for an 06 3500 Duramax (LBZ) DRW, 4x4, crew cab with 40K miles warranty remaining.
I'm not wild about the color, Graystone, and it is missing a sunroof but has everything else.

The PO added the Delphi trouchscreen Nav system which makes it work almost exactly like my Suburban did. There is a port for me to add a back-up camera also.
A Curt mfg goose neck hide a ball system was in the truck with Air Lift bags installed.

With all the extras and low miles it seems pretty good. I will be adding Alcoa wheels, changing the running boards, adding a bed cap and a few other things that I prefer. The class 3 hitch will have to go for a class V also.

This should do ok with a Formula 382.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.