Notices

Towing 28' to 30' Boat

Old 08-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
If you are planning on keeping the boat at a marina, I wouldn't limit my boat choice based on what your truck can pull. Just have it shipped, you will save tons vs buying a new truck / limiting your boat choices. I agree with the above, a 30' boat with twins is too much for a 1500 to haul comfortably.

I would not hesitate to use your truck to move the boat around the marina and/or launch ramp. The 4x4 will make a huge difference and you should have no problem launching and retrieving the boat with that truck.

If you have the space and means, consider a dedicated tow vehicle. A mid 90's dually can be had for next to nothing and will tow the boat just fine.
I may have to eventually get a dedicated tow vehicle, but I will be in the marina since I am storing it there. I don't have that kind of land to keep a boat at the house. The one tow I will have that is a long haul is where I may buy it from. Could be a drive from Florida to Maryland (for example) or something as short as 30 minutes from my house/marina.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 787 Likes on 371 Posts

Just have it shipped, you will save tons vs buying a new truck / limiting your boat choices.
Agreed...towing companies are so ultra competitive nowadays that you can get it trailered for $1 a mile...

I also agree with not letting the truck limit your boat choices esp in your situation (leaving it at the marina). Keep in mind, in this situation you are limited to marina facilities, waterways in the immediate area, and gas at the marina (higher prices).

Just some food for thought.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by moses0324
Agreed...towing companies are so ultra competitive nowadays that you can get it trailered for $1 a mile...

I also agree with not letting the truck limit your boat choices esp in your situation (leaving it at the marina). Keep in mind, in this situation you are limited to marina facilities, waterways in the immediate area, and gas at the marina (higher prices).

Just some food for thought.
The marina I will be using has a gas pump (agreed, prices can be up there), its also at the mouth of the magothy river so its right at the chesapeake. I'm within an hour of all the big hangout spots that I like to go to, so location is perfect for me and its about 5 minutes from my house. My other option is a little further into the Magothy, but further from the house, but I do like their rack storage and that they drop/retrieve the boat for you.. I'm actually looking forward to a possible road trip so I may see if there may be a company I can rent a dually from, then just use my truck around the marina. I am ultimately looking for a twin I/O, about 28 foot so I am def not going to limit my choice.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tow my 29' Kryptonite with a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L short bed regular cab. I would not do it with the automatic though, mine is the 5 speed manual.

Of course my boat is only about 4800lbs wet, add another 1200lbs for the trailer. Tows 6000lbs easily.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Philm
I tow my 29' Kryptonite with a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L short bed regular cab. I would not do it with the automatic though, mine is the 5 speed manual.

Of course my boat is only about 4800lbs wet, add another 1200lbs for the trailer. Tows 6000lbs easily.
Tools, spare parts, lines, anchors, fenders, etc. etc... It adds up. you can't forget about that stuff. Remember stereo stuff adds up too--amps, subs, speakers, extra batteries...

Also remember that tow ratings are configured with NOTHING but the driver in the truck. That means NOTHING in the bed of the truck or the back of the SUV.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:36 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Having guys tell you what they have done or do isn't the point. What you can get away with on any given day or night isn't the point. What is the point is how fast can it stop and how safely can you avoid a collision without losing control. One panic stop or hairy manuever to avoid the other idiot can change lives, even end some. Then let your insurance co find out that you where on the road towing with an underrated vehicle. Next thing you are is homeless fending off lawsuits. If your luck you might only lose your boat, truck, or life. I hate to be dramatic but thats my 2ct's.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Registered

I used to tow my 292 with a Nissan Titan 1/2 ton.It was legal.But It was a handful I did not realize how bad it was till I got my dually.The dually is overkill for my boat but you forget its there.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Question to ask is what would you rather have when the S**T hits the fan? Overkill or underkill someone? Even on the edge, is risky. How many times a day do you run across some A hole who cuts you out or most often, stops short for that yellow light. I'd rather live on the edge in my boat, not getting to the water. Sorry, I'm done preaching.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:37 PM

sleev-less
I have a 2000 Silverado 4x4 and tow a 2004 Challenger Offshore with twin small blocks. I have added Stainless Steel Brakes (SSBC) all around, Firestone Air Bags on the rear, MSD ignition and coils, K&N air filter, B&G throttle body, larger tranny pan, trans temp guage, trans. cooler, & dyno tuned (with a chip) here in Florida. It tows ok (over 7,000 #'s), but braking is sometimes a little tricky. I'm in the market to sell my boat if you're interested. Recently moved here from TN, and still no job. Somonething has to go, so it's most likley the boat. Can email you pics & details if you want. Only been in saltwater once. One option to think about is to rent a hd truck when you want to go any distance. I'm doing that this weekend (2500 hd Chevy diesel). A lot cheaper than a new (newer) truck. That way you can keep your existing truck for local runs. Just a thought.
Ken
Old 08-31-2010, 12:00 AM
Registered

My boat (29' Fountain with a single BBC and tri-axle trailer) weights 8560 according the a DMV scale ready to go to the water. I have towed it with a 1/2 ton before but didn't care for it much. Purchased a 3/4 ton diesel and it's much better. Just some food for thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.