Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
7.3l powerstroke how many miles is too much? >

7.3l powerstroke how many miles is too much?

Notices

7.3l powerstroke how many miles is too much?

Old 09-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Yeah that's true Bryan - mine is a 6-Speed. It took an act of God to find a 6 Speed - 4X4 - Lariat - 4 Door in White....
that ZF-6 is a brute! there is no killing that thing. the later models even have a pump and cooler. For a manual trans! and that granny super low could pull a house down. they paired that tran up with the 6.0 and 6.4 as well. but we no longer offer it. it is loosing popularity. I always liked them though. and seaford. yours was prob. a custom order truck. that does sound really rare. i once had a lariat supere cab 6 speed dump truck come in. dump truck with leather seats... ha!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
that ZF-6 is a brute! there is no killing that thing. the later models even have a pump and cooler. For a manual trans! and that granny super low could pull a house down. they paired that tran up with the 6.0 and 6.4 as well. but we no longer offer it. it is loosing popularity. I always liked them though. and seaford. yours was prob. a custom order truck. that does sound really rare. i once had a lariat supere cab 6 speed dump truck come in. dump truck with leather seats... ha!
You're telling me. If you put that thing in 4Low and use the granny gear the truck barely inches forward - I doubt you could do 1MPH if you had to.

Yeah Fixxxer - it took forever to find this truck - I had to have the 6Speed.

That is a shame they are no longer offering the 6 Speed. Seems like a strange decision, but like you say, I am sure it is not overly popular.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts

The 7.3's are great the auto trannies are crap. I bought mine with 88,000 miles and put a trans in at 112,000. Not a cheap rebuilt trans but a brand new complete Ford system with the convertor and new cooler for $3600. Now at 209,000 the trans has started leaking a little. It still works fines you just have to keep checking the fluid to make sure it doesn't get low. I have lifted mine so that did a number on the ball joints. So far on my truck I have replaced the trans, ball joints, front wheel bearings, water pump, and 2 sets of batteries. Other than the trans the other issues are to be expected with a truck with this many miles and larger 36" tall tires. My truck is mostly highway miles and short tows of my14,000lbs boat and trailer. I love it though even though it rides like a tank but it will pull some serious stuff in 4 low. You will be amazed what these trucks can pull with decent tires.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Registered

I love the ZF 6-speed. It's got great feel and smooth shifting for something with a 2' shifter!

Only downside I see is the dual mass flywheel that most years had. Mine is rattling away. Soon it will get swapped out with a single mass from South Bend. Mines a 2WD and it looks like a really easy clutch job. Good time to change the rear main seal too.

Randy
Old 09-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bustedbrick
I love the ZF 6-speed. It's got great feel and smooth shifting for something with a 2' shifter!

Only downside I see is the dual mass flywheel that most years had. Mine is rattling away. Soon it will get swapped out with a single mass from South Bend. Mines a 2WD and it looks like a really easy clutch job. Good time to change the rear main seal too.

Randy
what year do you have? I have never seen a dual mass paired with a ZF-6. The older ZF the 5 and 4 speeds in the early 90s had dual mass setups. but either way, i would convert. they do soften the blow of clutch operation but in the end who cares ya know? its a truck! i do have one dual mass in ok shape (needs taken apart and turned) from a 1992 7.3 IDI truck that had the 5 speed. if you want it.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's one for you 7.3 lovers. I'll bet it doesn't last long if it's nice.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1961940443.html
Old 09-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
what year do you have? I have never seen a dual mass paired with a ZF-6. The older ZF the 5 and 4 speeds in the early 90s had dual mass setups. but either way, i would convert. they do soften the blow of clutch operation but in the end who cares ya know? its a truck! i do have one dual mass in ok shape (needs taken apart and turned) from a 1992 7.3 IDI truck that had the 5 speed. if you want it.
2000. It makes a hell of a racket on take off up to about 700 rpm, any gear. I could be wrong? I was going to replace it with the solid flywheel conversion from SBC. Hopefully take care of that.

Randy
Old 09-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bustedbrick
2000. It makes a hell of a racket on take off up to about 700 rpm, any gear. I could be wrong? I was going to replace it with the solid flywheel conversion from SBC. Hopefully take care of that.

Randy
I checked my service manuals. there was no dual mass offered for your model. i would take a look at everything. mabye you have something else going on.

silver lining: you will just have to get your flywheel resurfaced.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Registered

Thanks Fixxer, good info and a bit of a surprise. I will follow up once the new clutch is in. Randy
Old 09-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I just sold my 371,000 mile Dually today, looking for a CC SB to downsize to, I have had 4 SD Fords, all with around 300K or more, in my opinion, if the body and interior are nice, and it runs good....buy it! These will easliy turn 550K plus if kept up on.

I have a friend with a 2000 7.3 he paid more for with lower miles 130K at the time, my 300K + have been just as reliable and I saved thousands...

My .02

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.