Notices

I am looking to buy a Diesal

Old 10-01-2010, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
Ok 03-05 6.0 were junk then on the better ones dont put any power adders on or it will then blow head gaskets like the early ones. I dont need to do research I work in the indrusty and worked at Ford for years. They were so bad Ford sued Internatnal.
253k on a 05 6.0 ..have had a few minor problems, looks like crap, been abused by numerous guys pulling 10k all its life, but still runs great.. also the same with in 5-6k on our Duramax.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not trying to stop on any ones feet but seems to me that Ford is the most popular Diesal. I have never owed a ford, how many different diesal engines do they have, and what is the good and bad about each?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
253k on a 05 6.0 ..have had a few minor problems, looks like crap, been abused by numerous guys pulling 10k all its life, but still runs great.. also the same with in 5-6k on our Duramax.
So you got a good one and they are out there but I would never take the chance, If you go out and the truck don't start you go get into another one, I have one truck at a time. Go to a Ford dealership shop look for the truck with the cab 10 feet in the air and the frame on the ground and walk over tell me what motor is in it. I go into 2 Ford shops near me 3-5 times a month and 75% of the time thats what I see. Look at what 2 2003 trucks one with the 6.0 the other 7.3 how much more and how faster the 7.3 sells for.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Registered

Default buy a f650 go to ebay 2007 f650 black

go to ebay and see the f650 black for sale 2007 super truck 69,000 its badass
Old 10-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Registered

Ok 03-05 6.0 were junk then on the better ones dont put any power adders on or it will then blow head gaskets like the early ones. I dont need to do research I work in the indrusty and worked at Ford for years. They were so bad Ford sued Internatnal.
I have been repairing the 6.0 since its launch. The head gaskets are 9 times out of 10 a mis-diagnosis. usually the egr cooler is to blame. also, ford is going after international for warranty claims not being paid. they agreed to pay 50 50 for the rapairs made to these powerplants and international stopped paying when they caught wind of the 6.7 being built in 2008. it was not because the engine was bad. i run a 6.0 every day. this is my second one. both were great running reliable trucks. just needed a few updates and all was good.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Registered

I seen that f650, I could only wish
Old 10-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Registered

thanks thats what alot of people tell me

its a badasss truck i have had them all nothing compares to it . also huge attention getter
Old 10-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

So you got a good one and they are out there but I would never take the chance, If you go out and the truck don't start you go get into another one, I have one truck at a time. Go to a Ford dealership shop look for the truck with the cab 10 feet in the air and the frame on the ground and walk over tell me what motor is in it. I go into 2 Ford shops near me 3-5 times a month and 75% of the time thats what I see. Look at what 2 2003 trucks one with the 6.0 the other 7.3 how much more and how faster the 7.3 sells for.
Lapse, Ive actually had a quite a few good ones. There were many problems in 03 that did have to get sort out, but no different than the 7.3 at its inception. We had a few different problems on our Duramaxs as well. Once figured out, and let me say this slowly.. these trucks are only as good as your master mechanic at the dealer is.. We have 2 very good guys where I buy. They detected many things first, small coolant leaks, egr cooler, stuff like that, it got replaced and on my way with a rental truck I went. I am not brand loyal, and have had all 3. I get my best deal and service with Ford. I also feel under heavy loads on a daily basis they had the edge. I just bought 2 Ford 6.7's and 1 6.6 GMC.. Im waiting for Dodge to get caught up and if they can get with the program I would get the Dodge in 2012. They have come a long way, but my experience is that as good as the motor might be the rest of the truck has fell apart. I cannot afford down time. I believe by my drive on a new 2010 1-ton long bed there has been a big improvement on Dodges part, but just not quite there compared to the other two.. hopefully 2012 will be their year. Good luck in what ever you get. Jeff
Old 10-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin_or_Swim
I am not trying to stop on any ones feet but seems to me that Ford is the most popular Diesal. I have never owed a ford, how many different diesal engines do they have, and what is the good and bad about each?

I will weigh in on this as a certified master tech and factory trained in Fords new and old systems as well as GM.
First I'll state my bias so no one wastes any efforts trying to cut through it.

I am a devoted GM guy and I know the drawbacks but I'll take them; all things considered.

That said, Ford has really put out a premier effort due to all the problems from the International debacle.
The 7.3L is still held in the highest regards for a Ford diesel engine because it does not have the failure rates of 6.0L and 6.4L and is a non-emissin engine (more on emissions later). If these latter two engines require work the owner is automaticaly no questions asked in the rears of 8 to 10 labor hours to remove the cab and simply access the engine components. Not very cost effective.
The new 6.7L, code named while under development "Scorpion", has impressive test data results and furthermore does not require the cab removal procedure for component repair or removal. Time will tell where Ford will stand with this new design but, reasonably so, high expectations have resulted from their efforts. We shall see. Even as a GM guy I'm impressed with the preliminary proposals. Good going Ford.

The new Duramax design came along in 06 and is identified LLY/LBZ. In the VIN, the 8th digit indicates the engine where a "2" is LLY and a "D" is LBZ. The LBZ is the higher output of the two but the internals are the same if I recall right. It has external injectors, stronger rods, larger pins, and stronger bottom end. The results are that many service procedures can be performed faster, easier and cheaper than it's predecessor. Also the structural changes keep it in line with the power levels of the competition. Also in the GM line up is the Allison transmission which is just bullet proof and is not bested in the competition.

The Cummins engine is a bulwark that is hardly beaten. They have turbo issues but service in that regard is a non-issue. The perfect natural configuration of an inline 6 cyl and the longest stroke of all the 1ton diesel packages at 4.88" is very impressive. The trans largely needs to be manual to hold the new Cummins power and the chassis is just not up to the task of weathering the miles without a lot of service attention to keep it straight in the lane.

ALL, ALL, ALL oh did I mention that ALL diesels were brought into GOVT emissions compliance in (((((((((((((( 07 )))))))))))!!!!!!!!
What does that mean to a diesel purchase?????????
Your fuel that you purchased with your money is injected into the exhaust to creat heat to clean a component called the "DPF".

Ok off my rant.

The "DPF" (diesel particulate filter) is an emission component that eats your fuel at given intervals, which are determined by the computer, when fuel is dumped into the exhaust to heat it up and clean it out. Double digit truck towing packages went to single digits due to this. Plus the exhaust emission system has a life expectancy at which time it ALL has to be replaced to the tune of thousands of dollars. Service cleaning intervals that lead up to the replacement mileage will cost the owner also. Urea is the next level of the emission craze where every 3rd or 4th fuel tank fill up the Urea tank will require filling also. THis is MORE of your dollars dumped into the exhaust to satisfy Uncle Sam's emission cronies.

I recently bought my first personal diesel as a Duramax but it is an 06 for many reasons that I have mentioned and more.

Good luck and I hope all find some good info here.

Last edited by aquaforce; 10-02-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news for Ferd guys with 2011s they don't have to pay for cab removal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.