Notices

Sidewall cracking on tires

Old 12-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Sidewall cracking on tires

My myco has six Michelin M&S 235/85-16E tires. They have probably 80-90% tread left. Some of the sidewalls are cracking on them. No cracking in the tread area, just the outside of sidewalls, from the sun I imagine. Hate to toss them, since they are such nice tires, but dont wanna chance it next season considering how much abuse trailer tires take.

Was thinking of replacing all the trailer tires with new rubber. My dually needs tires too. Was thinking of taking the trailer tires and mounting them on the dually? I know on the trailer with the boat, fuel, gear, etc, the tires are carrying alot of weight. Thinking they might last on the truck since not as much weight and heat on them? Not sure at what point the sidewall cracking becomes a blowout hazard?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trailer tires will crack and rot away before 90% of the people on this board will ever wear them out on the road. It is just what happens to them from the sunlight and sitting around waiting for there big trip 2 or 3 times a year to the ramp. Dont even think of running them on your truck. I would rather have a flat on my triple axle trailer then on the truck pulling the whole shooting match down the highway at 75 mph. And trust me they will blow out in the worst spot on the highway with traffic blowing by you on the should of the road at 90 mph. Its not worth it.
just my 2 cents
good luck

Mike O
Old 12-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GoFastSonic
Trailer tires will crack and rot away before 90% of the people on this board will ever wear them out on the road. It is just what happens to them from the sunlight and sitting around waiting for there big trip 2 or 3 times a year to the ramp. Dont even think of running them on your truck. I would rather have a flat on my triple axle trailer then on the truck pulling the whole shooting match down the highway at 75 mph. And trust me they will blow out in the worst spot on the highway with traffic blowing by you on the should of the road at 90 mph. Its not worth it.
just my 2 cents
good luck

Mike O
agreed, buy new ones and trash the old ones. I see guys on the side of the road all the time with RVs that the sidewalls blew out from cracking and the tread is still new.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Just turn the side that is cracking to the inside so you don't have to worry about it.

I wouldn't put them on the truck. It's tire age that's getting to your tires, not wear.

I'd look for a local large tire retailer and see if you can negotiate a deal on 12 tires. That's a pretty tall order for them considering. If you have a buddy with tire machines, see what you can do for cash and carry. I went to a used tire place the other day and had a tire mounted and balanced for $5 bucks plus trading them an old aluminum rim that they could get good recycle money for. Same goes for Tirerack.com or the other retailers. I just bought tires for my DD from Tirerack and got a great price.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Just turn the side that is cracking to the inside so you don't have to worry about it.

I wouldn't put them on the truck. It's tire age that's getting to your tires, not wear.

I'd look for a local large tire retailer and see if you can negotiate a deal on 12 tires. That's a pretty tall order for them considering. If you have a buddy with tire machines, see what you can do for cash and carry. I went to a used tire place the other day and had a tire mounted and balanced for $5 bucks plus trading them an old aluminum rim that they could get good recycle money for. Same goes for Tirerack.com or the other retailers. I just bought tires for my DD from Tirerack and got a great price.
Good point. Im gonna get whacked this spring on tires. My boat trailer, dually, crown vic, and semi tractor will all be due for tires at the same time! just got done putting a new set of goodyears on wifeys grand cherokee.

Looks like im gonna be buying 28 tires come spring!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is some informational reading for you about tires.

http://www.303products.com/techinfo/tires1.htm
Old 12-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Good point. Im gonna get whacked this spring on tires. My boat trailer, dually, crown vic, and semi tractor will all be due for tires at the same time! just got done putting a new set of goodyears on wifeys grand cherokee.

Looks like im gonna be buying 28 tires come spring!
Maybe YOU should buy a tire machine & balancer.

Come to think of it, maybe I should too. I've got well over 30 tires on the ground right now not including spares and my demo derby car/spares.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I have posted it a few times...

Tires begin drying out the moment they are produced. Tire MFG's consider tire life as 3 years from date of production. Even if the tire has never been sold, if it has been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for three years, the MFG. considers the life of the tire over. Tires will have a code stamped on them at production, that represents the date made. before buying tires look up the codes for the mfg and make sure your not buying an old tire. If a tire fails, it falls back on the tire mfg. if the tire has 3 years and 1 day it's on you even if the tire has less than 5 miles on it.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Registered

3 yrs., HOLY CRAP, I thought it was like 7 years from the date of manufacture.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phragle
I have posted it a few times...

Tires begin drying out the moment they are produced. Tire MFG's consider tire life as 3 years from date of production. Even if the tire has never been sold, if it has been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for three years, the MFG. considers the life of the tire over. Tires will have a code stamped on them at production, that represents the date made. before buying tires look up the codes for the mfg and make sure your not buying an old tire. If a tire fails, it falls back on the tire mfg. if the tire has 3 years and 1 day it's on you even if the tire has less than 5 miles on it.
Good info right there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.