Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
When is it time(weight) to go with a dually? >

When is it time(weight) to go with a dually?

Notices

When is it time(weight) to go with a dually?

Old 12-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is it time(weight) to go with a dually?

At what weight, towing off the hitch, is it recommended to go to a dually?

I'm comfortable with 7k boat plus fuel plus trailer towing with a single rear wheel diesel.

Normal towing being in the NorthEast, hilly areas and 200 mile destinations.

Last edited by East Coast B; 12-16-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

A lot depends on what you are towing
I towed my Cig on a Myco trailer (#10k) behind my lifted F350 and had zero issues
If the boat and trailer are setup right then you don't need a dually until you exceed the weight rating of your truck ( duallys can tow more)
Old 12-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Tough question. I too agree that it all depends on setup.
1) Surge brakes are garbage... compared to Electric over Hydraulic. Try it once, and you will know exactly what I am talking about. I cannot and will not say that EoH brakes will make up for lack-o-truck. However, if you are marginal; and/or have the option to go with EoH brakes, DO IT. It's worth every fricking penny. The added control and ability to adjust your braking power is phenomenal.

2) Depends on what you plan on hauling with you & the boat. Remember that ALL tow ratings are calculated with an empty truck bed and a single person in the truck (driver). If you plan on hauling a family of four, luggage, coolers, golf cart, and the family lab with you, you now have a totally new set of calculations that you need to work with in addition to the boat.

With all that's said, I towed 12,000 lbs. with a 3/4 ton, and now tow a bit more than that with a 1-ton dually. Looking back to towing with the old setup (which was within spec and legal) to towing with my current setup; I know I am a LOT more comfortable driving with the new setup.

IMHO, 10K lbs. + ---> go with a DRW truck.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree with the EoH brakes, that's the way I've been doing it.

I've got a 1 ton Ford 7.3 xcab single wheel and was curious if the dual wheel gives you that extra stable feeling when you've got the big weight on the back.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by East Coast B

I've got a 1 ton Ford 7.3 xcab single wheel and was curious if the dual wheel gives you that extra stable feeling when you've got the big weight on the back.
I've never towed with a single wheel because I see no disadvantage in having the dual wheel other than if the emergency brake goes bad it is in the rear hub and is a pain.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I tow about 12K with srw. Does not feel stable to me without rear air bags. I think that a dually would be much better at this weight but it does the job legally and is a much easier daily driver. BTW EOH brakes are fantastic.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by East Coast B

It does for a fact. I've towed with both, last truck was a dually, and like Sydwayz says, anything over 10-12k on the receiver you're better off with the dually.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:50 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

I've had a 3500 dually and it did tow very nice. It was more stable at highway speeds, especially if its windy. It sucked everywhere else though. Too big to go through drive thru's, into car washes, parking garages, bank atms, etc. I had it when I had my 28 Pantera which was about 7k total.
I traded to 2500HD and couldn't be happier. I'm at about 10.5 k with my 32 AT loaded and its plenty stable. It does sway a little on a windy day, but all I need to do is slow down some and its fine.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Time to go dually when the weight towed exceeds the rating of a SRW chassis or if stability/sway can not be controlled with SRW.

Even with a 5K lbs travel trailer wind could be a stability problem and although the weight does not exceed a 3/4 ton truck the dual tires tracking straight and controlling sway is the best fix.

I went dually because of stability. When the size of what I was pulling kept moving the truck in the lane it was time for a less challenging drive.

Last edited by aquaforce; 12-17-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Yes, you absolutely feel the difference. Especially so when you pass or are passed by a big blunt 18-wheeler. It's at this point when the side of our boats become big sails and get pushed by this oncoming side-gust of wind. The dually absolutely keeps the mid-ship of the entire truck/boat in check and more stable vs. SRW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.