Notices

Nissan skyline.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The entire Chrysler plant in St. Louis is now rubbles. They have been tearing it down for the past 3-4 months. Sad, especially since the city of Fenton and the County of St. Louis gave them a ton of money to retool less than 2 years prior to closing the doors.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
The Japanese are clamoring to build plants in America and the Big 3 are clamoring to build them in Mexico/Canada.

While ultimately profits are directed to Japan, look at how much of the labor and payroll and taxes stay right here in the USA.

Also - you can call it ugly JAP crap all you want but look at the innovation the Japanese use while the American's spent the entire time cramming the same old **** down our throats.

The early to mid-90's are a great example:

Japanese Firms:

1990 - 1996 Nissan Z's - Twin Turbo Charged, 4-wheel steering, adjustable suspension
1993 - 1995 Mazda RX-7 - Twin Turbo Charged lightweight rocket
1993 - ??? - Toyota Supra - Ground Pounding Twin Turbo In-Line 6
1991 - 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT - 4 Wheel Drive Twin Turbo cannon.

All 4 of the above have a cult following with TONS of these cars runnign around DAILY DRIVEN with reliable 500, 600, 700 800 HP engines and still revered for their styling.

Meanwhile what were the big 3 producing? The 5.0 Mustang and the C4 Corvette? While arguably "neat" cars (I would own a 5.0 mustang) these were hardly innovative.

Fast forward a decade - the big 3 still have their heads up there asses and people everywhere are buying hybrids yet the US mfgs don't have anything in that department?

ALSO - the "profits" land primarily with the large stockhodlers which are always huge investment groups and may or may not be keep their primary domicile in the US. Most likely if they have done any tax planning it is NOT in the US.

3 out 4 of our cars are American - but that is just coincidence - not because I am killing myself to buy from the big 3, and after the big bailout, I would be hard pressed to buy anything other than FORD - at least they stood on their own feet.

4 Jap cars you listed were the best inexpensive sportscars offered in the mid-90's albeit all mass produced. The Mustang/Corvette/Camaro were all decade old designs by the time this new wave of cool stuff arrived from Japan.

We also had the ZR1 and Viper in the mix but were low production vehicles at the time.

Currently the big three have a lot of neat stuff (Mustang/Camaro/Corvette/Challenger) but all the Jap manufacturers have super high end (Skyline) or low HP junk like the 350Z(shares engine with a Maxima!). Toyota/Honda/Mitsubishi are all out of the 2 seat sportscar market. The 4 door rice rockets (Subaru WRX, Evo) are all fast but ridiculous looking.

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 01-21-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Registered

These companies are so global at this point that it really is a moot point where their corporate headquarters are or if their name sounds Japanese, Korean, or American. Global investors can reap profits from any of these global companies via global markets. Japanese and Koreans have design and engineering centers here in MI, and the Big 3 have done plenty of outsourcing to their overseas centers, so salaried folks and managers are also worldwide (execs too). Profits from these companies are distributed to employees worldwide.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Registered

My God the Asians have to sit back and laugh at us.

Could you imagine Koreans or Japanese online arguing about how it's better to buy a Ford or Chevy there instead of a domestic! Oh wait, we don't have to worry about that as they have basically closed off the market..... It's no surprise why the rest of the world is losing respect for the US, we can't even respect ourselves.

Buy what you think is the best car, but cut out this BS about international companies or mfg'd here as some great asset to the US compared to actual American cars. Correct everyone has operations all over the world. The greatest amount of work, jobs and profit is centered at the HQ and that won't change.

I work for GM, and I do work for every region of the world. Do you think my Japanese equivalent is sitting in MI? How about Hyundai's? They are not in the US, just like the thousands of other decent paying salaried work that puts way more money back into the economy than the couple of plants they build here.

People all think it's great when auto jobs are outsourced, or any job that's not theirs. I guess they think they're irreplaceable. Newsflash, you're not and your job can be next if this country places no value on supporting it's own and maintaining our standard of living.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
My God the Asians have to sit back and laugh at us.

Could you imagine Koreans or Japanese online arguing about how it's better to buy a Ford or Chevy there instead of a domestic! Oh wait, we don't have to worry about that as they have basically closed off the market..... It's no surprise why the rest of the world is losing respect for the US, we can't even respect ourselves.

Buy what you think is the best car, but cut out this BS about international companies or mfg'd here as some great asset to the US compared to actual American cars. Correct everyone has operations all over the world. The greatest amount of work, jobs and profit is centered at the HQ and that won't change.

I work for GM, and I do work for every region of the world. Do you think my Japanese equivalent is sitting in MI? How about Hyundai's? They are not in the US, just like the thousands of other decent paying salaried work that puts way more money back into the economy than the couple of plants they build here.

People all think it's great when auto jobs are outsourced, or any job that's not theirs. I guess they think they're irreplaceable. Newsflash, you're not and your job can be next if this country places no value on supporting it's own and maintaining our standard of living.
Yeah and a Local 4 union guy needs his $40 an hour job with lifetime medical and pension benefits to produce sh!tboxes like the Dodge Caravan, Chevy Impala and other gems!

I agree with you until a point.....................
Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Registered

Reguardless of who is getting the title of ownership, I must say bringing manufacturing back into the United States by any company US owned or foreign, is Huge for our economy, When we outsourced the working man in this country, to where ever the labor was the cheapest, we began to lose a little bit of our country, economy and families. Get as many manufacturing plants back here on US soil from who ever will build here, thats the only real way I see us getting our economy back.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thread off track I am in dealerships all day long different brands I have customers in most brands.I will tell you that the Asian stuff is having huge problems right now was at a Hyundai dealership today and they were replacing entire front subframes on a recall....are you kidding me.Lexus is having engine issues Toyota is not much better,I am not talking about the stuff built in the 80's I am talking about current models.GM and Ford are in my opinion better than ever and are better quality than the Asian imports.In my driveway /Garage

11 GMC Terrain
09 GMC Yukon Denali
08 GMC 3500 SLT
02 Vette

I do have a jap tractor (Kubota) though
Old 01-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Registered

Default jap

Originally Posted by seafordguy
The Japanese are clamoring to build plants in America and the Big 3 are clamoring to build them in Mexico/Canada.

While ultimately profits are directed to Japan, look at how much of the labor and payroll and taxes stay right here in the USA.

Also - you can call it ugly JAP crap all you want but look at the innovation the Japanese use while the American's spent the entire time cramming the same old **** down our throats.

The early to mid-90's are a great example:

Japanese Firms:1990 - 1996 Nissan Z's - Twin Turbo Charged, 4-wheel steering, adjustable suspension
1993 - 1995 Mazda RX-7 - Twin Turbo Charged lightweight rocket
1993 - ??? - Toyota Supra - Ground Pounding Twin Turbo In-Line 6
1991 - 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT - 4 Wheel Drive Twin Turbo cannon.

All 4 of the above have a cult following with TONS of these cars runnign around DAILY DRIVEN with reliable 500, 600, 700 800 HP engines and still revered for their styling.

Meanwhile what were the big 3 producing? The 5.0 Mustang and the C4 Corvette? While arguably "neat" cars (I would own a 5.0 mustang) these were hardly innovative.

Fast forward a decade - the big 3 still have their heads up there asses and people everywhere are buying hybrids yet the US mfgs don't have anything in that department?

ALSO - the "profits" land primarily with the large stockhodlers which are always huge investment groups and may or may not be keep their primary domicile in the US. Most likely if they have done any tax planning it is NOT in the US.

3 out 4 of our cars are American - but that is just coincidence - not because I am killing myself to buy from the big 3, and after the big bailout, I would be hard pressed to buy anything other than FORD - at least they stood on their own feet.
What about
1985-87 Buick GN and GNX
1989 turbo trans am
GMC syclone and typhoon
Taurs SHO
corvette zr1
mustang SVO
the shelby turbo cars from dodge
Old 01-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carguy08
I have to agree with that. But...... This car is not about looks or nostalgia. It's about pulling up next to a ferrari, and blowing it's doors off. No joke. I have have driven some Fun cars. Rides like crap, handles like it's on rails, and literally will make your passenger crap their pants in any gear. holy sh*t on this car. Don't get me started on the launch mode.

If it´s about blowing the doors of another next to you I´d take a [ProStreeted] Muscle car anyday with those 15" fat tires that rips the front wheels of the ground when the light turns green...
Actually todays 10.5" Drag Radials fits most Muscle Car stock wheelwells and those tires can hook to 7 second timeslips at the 1320...
So would you still ride a Nissan???
Old 01-22-2011, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawkcat
My 2007 dodge diesel truck was made in St. Louis
So was my 61 Corvette.
My 70 SS396 El Camino in Kansas
And the 65 GranSport Skylark in Flint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.