Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
The right truck for the job....?? >

The right truck for the job....??

Notices

The right truck for the job....??

Old 01-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
It is almost a universally agreed upon FACT that 7.3 fords run between 1999 and mid-year 2003 are some of the most stone cold reliable diesels available.
That's what I thought until the o-rings on my 7.3 blew costing me $2500.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
I may be in the market for a new pickup truck at work soon.......current truck is a Dodge 1500......not big enough to tow my 35' Sonic.......if I go for a new truck I want to make sure she can handle towing my 35' Sonic and possibly my uncle's 38' Intrepid........what will be the right truck for the job without being a pain in the a**...... to be a truck I run around with a lot for work.......thanks in advance guys.........
Hey Johnny,
Might be interested in your old 1500 if you're getting rid of it. Stepping up to a bigger boat myself.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLH
I eventually saw the light a couple years back...

wow you got the bestttisss toys man, [rugrats]. thats like a explorer on roids. I always had good luck with fords for our family cars and suvs and work trucks vans and pickups. art
Old 01-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
It is almost a universally agreed upon FACT that 7.3 fords run between 1999 and mid-year 2003 are some of the most stone cold reliable diesels available.
Perhaps my problems were unique to me.
I had one in the mid 90's that was good to me and a late 90's (98 I think) that wasn't, and an 04 that wasn't. I've just had better luck with our 5.9's.
Note these were work trucks for my pool construction company, we hump trailers with excavators and heavy pallets of rock all the time. That might of had something to do with my luck.

Funny thing is I'm currently taking bids for a new diesel dually,
my fleet sales rep from the Dodge dealer has the best price over the GMC, Chevy, and the Ford. When I asked about how good the new motor is he said "It's awesome" then I went and checked some diesel truck forums and they're getting pathetic reviews from owners, LOL!!!
I've always bought our trucks on low price and not by name brand of the Mfg.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 01-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
Hey Johnny,
Might be interested in your old 1500 if you're getting rid of it. Stepping up to a bigger boat myself.
A 1500 isnt big enough to tow what your looking at.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a Ford
Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnykool6
While I have... maybe once or twice, been pulled ...ever so slightly, by slush (not even enough to drive with more than a finger), I would never go back to a srw! Not trying to start the old single v. dual argument, ('cause everyone knows duallys are better!), BUT??? pulling your boat in snow??? Did you accidentally hook up the boat instead of the snowmobile trailer?? Or was it just in the way??!!
The DRW hook issue was actually more pronounced when empty/not towing. The DRW is the way to go hands down towing but if also a daily driver and you drive in a metro area etc. the SRW will work well for some like me.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLH
Well my friend I am only relating what happened to me personally.

Multiple time with an '06 GM 3500 Dually Diesel I got new, and an '08 GMC 3500 Dually Diesel also new, once with an '05 3500 GM Diesel and during the whole trip about 10 times when I borrowed drypipetiger/Neil's 2500 GMC diesel to go pick up my MTI in KY two years ago.

So kiss my shaved balls with your BS flag my friend I am just relating what happened to me.

On the other hand I have had to change injectors on the F650 also but that is a Caterpillar so I don't know if Ford should be blamed... All this work was under warranty for all trucks but it's a PITA anyway.
"Kiss my shaved balls".
Gl
1/24/2011
Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

No matter what diesel you choose you cant go wrong I have an 08 chevy dually that works great. I also owned an 06 F350 dually with no problems,friends have Dodges they're all good
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLH
I've owned three and borrowed one for a trip once from a friend and all of them (none were older than a year or two) went to limp mode at one point or another. All diesels.

All had to do with the injection rail. Most frustrating thing ever and it usually happened going up a hill on a highway towing a cat!!!!

Once I dumped the truck in Jacksonville FL at a dealership and flew home I was so frustrated. Flew a guy later after it was fixed to bring the thing back. They are very unreliable engines.
to say they are unreliable engines is a stretch . obviously you had a bad expierance but was the 6.0 powerstroke reliable ? not hardly at least the fix was simple on the duramax . read the new issue of diesel power about the test between the super duty and the duramax ,conducted by a ford engineer . the duramax beat the pants off the ford

Last edited by awesomecat26; 01-25-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.