Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
06 powerstroke or 07 5.9 cummins >

06 powerstroke or 07 5.9 cummins

Notices

06 powerstroke or 07 5.9 cummins

Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 powerstroke or 07 5.9 cummins

Well I found two I like one is a 06 f250 4x4 powerstoke with 83k miles or a 07 2500 ram 4x4 5.9 w/ 117k. Both are about the same price, so my question would be, go with great motor and years down the road fix the things wrong with the truck, or go with a motor that may or may not have issues and a great truck. I like both about the same, the ford has better seats thats the only thing I like better between the two. what to do???
Old 02-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Registered

which would you trust to take on a few thousand mile trip with ? and not be biting your nails .
Old 02-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Registered

The ford it's a no brainer if you want a truck that will pull. The Dodge has a ok engine but the rest of the truck is Sh!tt and will not last. Yes the ford had probelms in 2003 04 by 05 through 07 the problems have been addressed. I have a 06 F-350 with 82k and run the Sh!tt out of it and have had No problems with it. The biggest problem is people buy programers and set it on the highest hp/ torq setting and drive it ripping on it and then wounder why they have blown head gaskets and injector problems. Well what ever truck you buy get the vin # and go to the dealer and have them run the vin for repairs be for you buy.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockfish71
The ford it's a no brainer if you want a truck that will pull. The Dodge has a ok engine but the rest of the truck is Sh!tt and will not last. Yes the ford had probelms in 2003 04 by 05 through 07 the problems have been addressed. I have a 06 F-350 with 82k and run the Sh!tt out of it and have had No problems with it. The biggest problem is people buy programers and set it on the highest hp/ torq setting and drive it ripping on it and then wounder why they have blown head gaskets and injector problems. Well what ever truck you buy get the vin # and go to the dealer and have them run the vin for repairs be for you buy.
I agree, I have a F350 2005. CC Dually, it has 180,000 miles. It is a great ride, people program them, and then turn it up to stupid and problems start to occur. Its like adding a supercharger and alot of boost to a stock marine engine, not going to happen for longevity. It needs to be setup correctly and other components will need to be addressed. I think you will be happy with the Ford, have the Vin# run and see what it says. good luck
Old 02-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Registered

Well the cummins is a great motor, but the Ford is a better truck IMO. I have the same truck, 06 F250 Crew cab lariat, 4x4, srw, 6.0 powerstroke, 103,750 miles, no problems.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T-RAV
Well I found two I like one is a 06 f250 4x4 powerstoke with 83k miles or a 07 2500 ram 4x4 5.9 w/ 117k. Both are about the same price, so my question would be, go with great motor and years down the road fix the things wrong with the truck, or go with a motor that may or may not have issues and a great truck. I like both about the same, the ford has better seats thats the only thing I like better between the two. what to do???
You can buy the Ram which has the best engine or buy the Ford which you will have to put the Cummins in it eventually anyways. I owned a 2006 Ram dually for 50,000 miles and never had an issue with the truck.

I myself would rather replace a few truck parts than a whole engine but that's your call. Plus you can pump the Cummins up to 800hp and daily drive it. Try that with a Powerstroke, not gonna happen.

And BTW that's the last year for the 5.9. Your resale value will only go up from now.

Last edited by Catmando; 02-11-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

I have a shop,i work on all of them,chevy,ford and dodge..
i have yet to do any major repairs on dodge trucks,just the typical front axle u joints and the front track bar on 4x4's..

They are all good trucks,it just depends on how you take care of them,i for one is a chevy fan but if i were to buy a diesel truck it would be a dodge,they all have their own issues but the fords seem to have more problems then the other two,may be because their are more fords out their that people buy for work trucks..In my state their are allot of grandpa's that move rv campers from in to out of state and 90% of them are dodges.

just my o2..
Old 02-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
I have a shop,i work on all of them,chevy,ford and dodge..
i have yet to do any major repairs on dodge trucks,just the typical front axle u joints and the front track bar on 4x4's..

They are all good trucks,it just depends on how you take care of them,i for one is a chevy fan but if i were to buy a diesel truck it would be a dodge,they all have their own issues but the fords seem to have more problems then the other two,may be because their are more fords out their that people buy for work trucks..In my state their are allot of grandpa's that move rv campers from in to out of state and 90% of them are dodges.

just my o2..
There you go T-RAV you can't get better than a mechanic's experience, and I'm sure his name says it all.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Registered

Dem Dodge Seats Really s*ck! We rented a Durango a few years back...not by choice...business account with enterprise so take what they give you. 1/2 way to St. Louis from Atlanta I was about to die! Dang seats were worse than the ole school bus seats!

Engine or frequent visits to the Chiropractor?

PS My 07 Ford has been great as I knock on wood after all I read!
Old 02-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I have over 250k on both a 05 Powerstroke and Duramax... There is a few things like head studs, egr stuff you should do..other than that the 6.0 has been great.. I have had 7 6.0's 03 was the most troublesome, and did not do a few problems that we all were not aware of until they were out for a few years. 05 was also the first year that coil springs came out..better ride, and much better turning radius. Good luck Jeff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.