Notices

Tennessee DOT - Lawyer needed

Old 03-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tennessee DOT - Lawyer needed

Wondering if anyone has any connections to any good lawyers in TN. Near Knoxville on 40 got stopped for speeding, so they say... Recieved a bunch of tickets;
1. Operating a Commercial Vehicle without Class A CDL
2. No Log book
3. Unregistered Trailer- Have paperwork Was brand new. Now registered.
4. No medical card
5. Possesion of alcohol. Made me dump out a case of a local NY brewery.. Case was unopened..
6. No USDOT #'s - Applied and received DOT numbers

Everything is taken care of minus the No CDL.. Not getting a CDL nor do i need one.. My truck (2008 F450) did have company name on truck and was towing a 30 flatbed with a skidsteer. Total weight of Truck and Trailer with equipment was about 22k lbs. Never weighed.

Need to get a lawyer to handle this for me. Anyhelp would be appreciated. Thanks. Ken Holland 704-998-1829
Old 03-20-2011, 08:17 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if under 26k gross all you need is a Class D in TN, that's the TN license I have, even though my coach and enclosed car trailer weight about 47k at times..

trailers in TN don't require tags, but I had a 26k semi tag matching the 26k truck tag, and my 26k license...

no log book needed on Class D license

not sure a medical card is required on Class D, can't find it on their website

were you contracted to haul the equipment for delivery? or were you just transporting your equipment through TN to another state and not working in TN with it?

no speeding ticket, and thats what you were pulled over for?

Last edited by BUIZILLA; 03-20-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/driv...nse/cdlalt.htm

Look at "What class license do I need?"

I think they put that in there just for you

Also look at http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/driv...ifications.pdf

Looks like your truck has a GVWR of 14.5k and a 30' flatbed I guarantee has over a 10k GVWR (I would bet it's in the neighborhood of 16k). On that flow-chart, it looks like Class A to me...

This is a commercial rig, right? How much is the ticket?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

If you use the rig for business use then the cop might be correct. Still sucks though, its just "fundraising". The rules are written so no matter what, EVERY rig will fail something if they want it to.

I HAD a 100% clean DOT record till last week when we pulled over in iowa for no reason besides a routine inspection. Passed 100% untill, even the log books, untill the officer compared our recipts he saw in our glove box (while pulling out our medical cards etc) and the times on a 2 reciepts did not match the log books on only one of the 7 days! $150!

Yes a good lawyer will help. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah it gets a little different as in different states... According to some things read need CDL and other dont. Just need a lawyer in TN thats good if anyone has recommendations... In GA the back of license states something to nature if towing trailer over 10,000 lbs gvwr need cdl... Either way i took the decals off my truck...yes door says 14.5k and trailer stamped rating is 19k.... so if go by gvcwr then over the 26k.... Just a big money game thats all...Gov screwing businesses