Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Best Electric over Hydraulic Brake Acutator >

Best Electric over Hydraulic Brake Acutator

Notices

Best Electric over Hydraulic Brake Acutator

Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Best Electric over Hydraulic Brake Acutator

My Ausco electric over hydraulic brake controller from a 2001 Extreme trailer is done. It is a triple axle trailer with disc brakes on all three axles. 34 foot cat with about 12K pounds weight.

In my set up, I need to back the trailer to the point where the brake acutator is covered with water most all the time during launching.

I tow with a 2011 Ford PSD with integrated controller which supposedly has some kind of antilock system and a separate setting for electric over hydraulic brakes.

I looked on etrailer and basically can get the titan, carlisle, or dexter systems. Anyone got a recommendation as to the best acutator with the integrated controllers. Thanks, Eric
Attached Thumbnails Best Electric over Hydraulic Brake Acutator-dcbsidereadyforpr.jpg  

Last edited by SkiDoc; 05-08-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought new trailer with Titan Brake-rite. Dealer had no ideal how to set up proper installation for my chevy integrated controlor. Called brake rite and i wired actuator correctly with a couple of brake magnets tied in to trick the integrated controller into thinking a trailer is attached and everything works flawLess. It will flat lock up a triple axle with no problems. Very seamless operation with my chevy.

You need to mount the actuator above the water line. It's electronic.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the brake rite as well and only having a dual axle trailer with a 272 baja i could almost not even use my truck brakes and the trailer brakes work that good
Old 05-09-2011, 05:30 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. I will mount above the water line if I have to... The Carlisle unit say rated for marine/submersion.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
Thanks for the replies. I will mount above the water line if I have to... The Carlisle unit say rated for marine/submersion.

Dexter or Carlisle are the best.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 Load Rite trailer with a Carlisle actuator and just found out it is toast with less then 500 miles of use. I think the shop is replacing it with a Titan. Carlisle offered no way to repair or refurbish the unit, just $900 to replace the whole thing.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:35 AM
Registered

I made a lot of phone calls yesterday. From what I found out none of them are water proof due to the need for a vent, so I must mount it higher out of submersion. No problem.
As far as compatibility, there is diffenence drum vs. disk.
have models for each. Dexter, Brakerite, Carlisle have models compatible with the Ford Controller. There are some problems with the new GM controllers and the acutators. If your buying one make sure you get a new serial number to get the new compatibility changes.

I think the brakerite and the dexter were recommended highly but I went with the dexter because it had a more water tight case and all solid state electronics. But all praised the Brakerite. Didn't hear anything bad about the Carlisle except from driverkr above.
One of the people I talked to said the best way to kill them is to overheat them by keeping your foot on the brake for a long time. Say your waiting at a long light or for a train, etc..... use emergency brake. Thanks for the replies. Got from Eastern Marine, they were very helpful.. Eric
Old 05-10-2011, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
I made a lot of phone calls yesterday. From what I found out none of them are water proof due to the need for a vent, so I must mount it higher out of submersion. No problem.
As far as compatibility, there is diffenence drum vs. disk.
have models for each. Dexter, Brakerite, Carlisle have models compatible with the Ford Controller. There are some problems with the new GM controllers and the acutators. If your buying one make sure you get a new serial number to get the new compatibility changes.

I think the brakerite and the dexter were recommended highly but I went with the dexter because it had a more water tight case and all solid state electronics. But all praised the Brakerite. Didn't hear anything bad about the Carlisle except from driverkr above.
One of the people I talked to said the best way to kill them is to overheat them by keeping your foot on the brake for a long time. Say your waiting at a long light or for a train, etc..... use emergency brake. Thanks for the replies. Got from Eastern Marine, they were very helpful.. Eric
Mine on my Myco would not work w/ my built in Ford controller, just had an aftermarket 1 installed, no biggy!! I have always thrown my truck in park if I'm wait'n at a light!!

Last edited by wrinkleface; 05-10-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
Mine on my Myco would not work w/ my built in Ford controller, just had an aftermarket 1 installed, no biggy!! I have always thrown my truck in park if I'm wait'n at a light!!
Wrinkle, if you still have your old one, send me a PM... I'm about to do the conversion and have a Dodge so your old one should work fine for my application.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Registered

Wrinke, It seem like the manufacturers now have adapted to use OEM controllers. Except the new GM piece.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.