Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
What would it take to tow 25k+# legally? >

What would it take to tow 25k+# legally?

Notices

What would it take to tow 25k+# legally?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
This guy here claims he gets 12-15 mpg,dont know if its fwd tho..

http://www.projo.com/projocars/conte...3.26267dc.html
And therein lies the problem, unless i purchase an older f650, I wont be able to get the cat.. and the cat DOES have significantly better OTR capabilites than the cummins
Old 05-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

I may be way off here, but have you considered possibly legally hauling the load OTR with one of your big trucks, getting it to the site, and just dropping it in place with an older (maybe 99-03) F350 that's beefed up (airbags, etc). I'm betting you could safely move the load off road at low speeds, especially in 4L. Or am I missing the point? You could even leave this truck at the site.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cale, Call the guys at Tulsa Truck. They are across the street from U-Haul at 51st and 169. They make nice trucks. Just do it right and roll with a rig that can handle the load with 4wd.

I've never dealt with them, but have seen some nice product come out of there.

http://www.tulsatruckmfg.com/
Old 05-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski
I may be way off here, but have you considered possibly legally hauling the load OTR with one of your big trucks, getting it to the site, and just dropping it in place with an older (maybe 99-03) F350 that's beefed up (airbags, etc). I'm betting you could safely move the load off road at low speeds, especially in 4L. Or am I missing the point? You could even leave this truck at the site.
Thats kind of the direction we are leaning now, except instead of a 350, it'll be a glasscab tractor. That way we can use it here during the summer and there during the winter. But both of my straight trucks are maxed at 14k payload and 17k payload..
Old 05-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I don't know why you think the truck needs to be rated from the factory for more then what you are hauling. From my research and personal experience the FMCSA DOT only cares about what your driver is licensed for and what the truck is licensed for. How else would trucking companies hull 130,000lbs+ (with permit) on the same truck that hauls 80,000 on a normal day. You don't buy a kenworth based on what its rated to tow. I think you will be legal with one of those 4x4's as long as your driver has a class a and your plates are apportioned.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
I don't know why you think the truck needs to be rated from the factory for more then what you are hauling. From my research and personal experience the FMCSA DOT only cares about what your driver is licensed for and what the truck is licensed for. How else would trucking companies hull 130,000lbs+ (with permit) on the same truck that hauls 80,000 on a normal day. You don't buy a kenworth based on what its rated to tow. I think you will be legal with one of those 4x4's as long as your driver has a class a and your plates are apportioned.
In most cases, YES.. The key factor that throws a whole wrench in that mess is that the product is not only placarded Corrosive but its also a Special Permit hazmat for inhalation.

And a kenworth is over 33k, which is a class 8 set of rules. Once you go over class 6, the weights aren't considered as "payload" or "towing capability", they are only based on "per axle weight unless specially permitted"..

Being as how the product is a double placard with inhalation hazard and special hazmat permit, our max will be 33k in Oklahoma unless we change our operating authority to a federal level and become an inTERstate carrier.

We had a flatbed SRW F250 that we used to tow a tandem dually 30' gooseneck with wideload poly chemical tanks. They permitted us to about 12' if I remember correctly. I got stopped in OKC for a permit check and was given a ticket for being 16,000 pounds OVERWEIGHT.. Now this is where it gets tricky, its up to the officers interpretation of the rulebook..His and HIS only, until you get in front of a judge. But he wrote me a ticket for exceeding the trucks CAPACITY by hauling a trailer with more CAPABILITY. The trailer was rated for 33k, the truck was NOT. So the difference between those two is what I was consiidered to be "overweight".
So if you haul a 44' boat trailer with your 1/2 ton (well within the trucks ABILITY and CAPACITY), in OK they will consider you to be overweight by however much the trailer has the plates to haul.

Last edited by waterboy222; 05-13-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
How else would trucking companies hull 130,000lbs+ (with permit) on the same truck that hauls 80,000 on a normal day.
Against the scales, those truck axles will weigh the same PER AXLE as allowable by law.. They arent hauling 130k on 2 axle flatbeds. They are hauling that 130k on 6 or 8 different axles plus the drive and steer...
Old 05-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by zdek
Cale, Call the guys at Tulsa Truck. They are across the street from U-Haul at 51st and 169. They make nice trucks. Just do it right and roll with a rig that can handle the load with 4wd.

I've never dealt with them, but have seen some nice product come out of there.

http://www.tulsatruckmfg.com/
They built the bed for my sterling, its a beast! Theyve turned out some powerline trucks that look like they should be at SEMA..
Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You ought to be fine with a Hummer H2 and a Class-III hitch.

( Just wanted to fit the thought process around here. )
Old 05-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You ought to be fine with a Hummer H2 and a Class-III hitch.

( Just wanted to fit the thought process around here. )
Ive got a welder and an attwoods gift card. I think I can make somethin work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.