Notices

Ford God’s confession

Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

In 2001 I purchased a new 2002 2500HD duramax, I had always been a GM guy. I gave the dodge a try just before the GM, it was horrible quality for interior and was rusting at the seems after 6 months of owner ship....I only bought the dodge because of price, never again.

It was an early Dmax, fully loaded. Power was great, interior was exceptional however I had many fuel system problems. Injectectors failed constantly, sometimes dumping fuel and oil on whatever I was towing. They always fixed them, but most times I went weeks without my truck or a loaner. Then, in 2004 at 35k the injectors went again.....only this time GM started blaming the consumer. My truck was torn down by a dealer, only to deny the injector claim saying that I most likely got into bad fuel? They wanted $8000 to fix, or $1100 to put back together. The 800 customer care line is HORRIBLE! I had the truck towed from the dealer to my dealer. The re-assembled the truck but could not get GM to warranty the injectors.

I did research and found that I was far from the only one having the problems. I purchased bully dog injectors and a 2 micron fuel filter system and installed them myself. Never had an injector problem again. Month later I got notification of a class action law suit lost by GM, with an offer to pay for repairs and factory extended warranty on the fuel sytem to 200k. I sent them copies of my bills and losses, to the tune of $3900 and waited. They sent a letter stating that they would only reimburse dealer repairs using genuine parts. Not only would they not cover my repairs but the modifications voided my warranty.....nice.

I sold the truck and purchased a 2005 F350 SRW Harley. The only plus I can say about the GM was the resale, truck only cost me $9k in depreciation (employee discount at purchase) over 4 years.

The ford offered an even better ride and interior, however the 6.0l was not as good as the dmax IMO, the allison is the best tranny on the market hands down.

The ford broke a lot as well, however all warranty work was done with no questions asked. I even had aftermarket hop ups which they did not care. I sold the ford last spring, they had done nearly $20k in warranty work over 5 years (replaced engine at 68k). Had major paint problems with the Ford, they would not cover because I had 38" tires on it. The GM trucks age much better than the Fords, espcially if you are in a high salt area such as NYS.

Ford service at that time was superior.

IMO the best truck would be a Ford chassis interior, allison trans, GM body and paint and GM rear end. Cummins engine...because it is bullet proof even with hop ups.

I really wish Toyota made a 1 ton diesel.

Crazy thing is, my next truck will most likely be a GM. However I will purchase and service at the same dealer at all times, and ask for a loaner car in writing at the time of sale for the first 3/36.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 4,258 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
Im just waiting a few more years to pay off my truck and I waiting for GM to redesign the current sierra/silverado its been 4 years and I smell change.

I hope so cause the Engine/Tans is an awesome combo but the interior/exterior just fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch
Old 05-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last three tow vehicles I have only kept two to three years, I expect I will do the same with this one. I bought my last one 2 years ago when gas prices went up, they are giving me $500.00 more than I paid for it on trade.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 1,321 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by baja pete
My last three tow vehicles I have only kept two to three years, I expect I will do the same with this one. I bought my last one 2 years ago when gas prices went up, they are giving me $500.00 more than I paid for it on trade.
Don't worry that cost was added somewhere else.

What kind of truck?
Old 05-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
In 2001 I purchased a new 2002 2500HD duramax, I had always been a GM guy. I gave the dodge a try just before the GM, it was horrible quality for interior and was rusting at the seems after 6 months of owner ship....I only bought the dodge because of price, never again.

It was an early Dmax, fully loaded. Power was great, interior was exceptional however I had many fuel system problems. Injectectors failed constantly, sometimes dumping fuel and oil on whatever I was towing. They always fixed them, but most times I went weeks without my truck or a loaner. Then, in 2004 at 35k the injectors went again.....only this time GM started blaming the consumer. My truck was torn down by a dealer, only to deny the injector claim saying that I most likely got into bad fuel? They wanted $8000 to fix, or $1100 to put back together. The 800 customer care line is HORRIBLE! I had the truck towed from the dealer to my dealer. The re-assembled the truck but could not get GM to warranty the injectors.

I did research and found that I was far from the only one having the problems. I purchased bully dog injectors and a 2 micron fuel filter system and installed them myself. Never had an injector problem again. Month later I got notification of a class action law suit lost by GM, with an offer to pay for repairs and factory extended warranty on the fuel sytem to 200k. I sent them copies of my bills and losses, to the tune of $3900 and waited. They sent a letter stating that they would only reimburse dealer repairs using genuine parts. Not only would they not cover my repairs but the modifications voided my warranty.....nice.

I sold the truck and purchased a 2005 F350 SRW Harley. The only plus I can say about the GM was the resale, truck only cost me $9k in depreciation (employee discount at purchase) over 4 years.

The ford offered an even better ride and interior, however the 6.0l was not as good as the dmax IMO, the allison is the best tranny on the market hands down.

The ford broke a lot as well, however all warranty work was done with no questions asked. I even had aftermarket hop ups which they did not care. I sold the ford last spring, they had done nearly $20k in warranty work over 5 years (replaced engine at 68k). Had major paint problems with the Ford, they would not cover because I had 38" tires on it. The GM trucks age much better than the Fords, espcially if you are in a high salt area such as NYS.

IMO the best truck would be a Ford chassis interior, allison trans, GM body and paint and GM rear end. Cummins engine...because it is bullet proof even with hop ups.

Crazy thing is, my next truck will most likely be a GM. However I will purchase and service at the same dealer at all times, and ask for a loaner car in writing at the time of sale for the first 3/36.
Toyota Does make a 1ton diesel,, its called a 7.3l power stroke diesel! My older ford 7.3ls ran better and longer than every one of my lexus cars. Untill toyota makes one, the 7.3l will be your closest thing to it.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I look at it this way - and I drive a Ford truck. Each manufacturer makes a decent truck. Each of them excels at something. Each of them is worse than the others at something. Each of them makes an occasional turd. If any one of them were head and shoulders above the rest, they would own the entire market. None of them do.

So drive all of them and buy the one that fits your particular needs. And since everybody wants something just a little different, some will be happy with something that somebody else will say was a piece of crap. To each his (or her) own.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Registered

Our 03 Chevy 2500 Duramax is a work horse we use it to tow RV's for a living some jobs we pull up to with 38 ft 5th wheel and people dont believe in it. Then when we make it without a problem they eat their words. I can also say that the truck has 150k miles and we have not ever had to replace the break pads (it is getting close to replacement time now though)

Last edited by Riley0114; 05-19-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus

Old 05-25-2011, 04:48 AM
Registered

Ahhh yes another soldier for the DURAMAX army! Welcome aboard!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I agree that the new ford seems great..about 60k+ great...but they have been praising their last 3 totally different diesels as well...and a lot of us know how a lot of them were....I have a had a 05 duramax for 3 years + now...not a lot of miles on it(50k) used it as tow vehicle when we were racing...was and still is a great truck..awsome power..great brakes....decent ride...you will like it I'm thinking....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.