Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Ford Excursion V-10 Exhaust Manifold Leak? >

Ford Excursion V-10 Exhaust Manifold Leak?

Notices

Ford Excursion V-10 Exhaust Manifold Leak?

Old 05-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Excursion V-10 Exhaust Manifold Leak?

When I drive I hear a loud exhaust noise comming from the engine, its louder as I get up to speed, then quiets down as the rpms go down. Its only really there under a heavy acceleration. Anybody have this isssue with there v-10 excursion yet, is a major deal to fix?
Old 05-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Exhaust manifold leaks are fairly common on the Ford modular motors. You've got an aluminum head with a cast iron manifold and steel studs - which corrode and fail. We see lots of this up here in the road salt capital of the world.

Basically, you have to heat and shock cool the broken studs carefully to tease them out. And you might as well replace all of them while you're in there. It's best done though a wheel well. Not the worst job I've ever done, but somewhat of a pain.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Exhaust manifold leaks are fairly common on the Ford modular motors. You've got an aluminum head with a cast iron manifold and steel studs - which corrode and fail. We see lots of this up here in the road salt capital of the world.

Basically, you have to heat and shock cool the broken studs carefully to tease them out. And you might as well replace all of them while you're in there. It's best done though a wheel well. Not the worst job I've ever done, but somewhat of a pain.
Sounds exactly like what I've got here, thanks for the info I will most likely go with a new set of stock ford manifolds, and would you advise stainless studs? or just go with stock.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

just so you know one out of every 5 you end up removeing the heads to get the broken stud out..
Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by spk1
Sounds exactly like what I've got here, thanks for the info I will most likely go with a new set of stock ford manifolds, and would you advise stainless studs? or just go with stock.
I wasn't aware of another material being offered. We've always just put the Ford studs back in.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:35 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spk1
I have the same deal but on a F-350 but I would NOT put the stock manifolds back on way too much $$$$ I went on line and ordered a exhaust system from Summit Racing headers to the tail pipes for hundreds less than 1 Ford manifold!! Not sure what kind of miles you have on the truck but I was around 90K when I did mine and of the 20 studs 18 of them broke!!!! much cheaper and even kind of sounds cool now....LOL