Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Restoring The Trailer for the Scarab >

Restoring The Trailer for the Scarab

Notices

Restoring The Trailer for the Scarab

Old 07-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Restoring The Trailer for the Scarab

This boat we bought came with a 24 foot trailer that is not the original trailer. The roller brackets are welded in and are not adjustable.
The rollers do not contact the hull at all so I got some adjustable brackets to put on the frame after I cut the ears off for the rollers so I can adjust the rollers. The bunks fit the hull really good for this boat. Should I go head and put on the adjustable brackets so the rollers go up against the hull or do you think just the bunks will be fine. I am redoing the bunks new wood and new carpet. I have taken the boat off the trailer and have it cribbed up.
How important are the rollers for landing and luanching? The rollers are in very condition.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:44 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming your talking about keel rollers? All the bunk trailers I ever had didn't have rollers except for the bow stop and sometimes a keel roller at the rear for centering the keel in shallower water. Most of them have the bunks located in the hull strakes so there is really only one place the boat can rest. I also found that side guides are a hugh help.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Registered

Default So

Should I just cut off the keel roller brackets ? Theres five all together.
There already on the boat trailer use them or not use them?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:13 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

heir not hurting anything where there at and may be helping center the boat while the bow is trying to get centered as it comes up the trailer. at the least they may stop the keel from hitting the cross bars of the trailer while loading. Leave them be.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:14 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

The rollers are in the brackets right?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Registered

The brackets are welded on the frame and are not adjustable. The rollers are in excellent shape. But the rollers do not contact the keel they are sitting too low. My idea was to get the brackets that are adjustable. Cut the welded ears off the frame for the rollers. Drill holes for the new brackets then when I reassemble after painting the trailer I will have fully adjustable keel rollers. Even the rear roller is sitting down to low. But the bunks fit tits to the boat hull. Do I go all the way or will just the bunks do. Almost every thing is there to make this boat complete.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Registered

Ok how do you post pics on here> I got pics of the trailer and cant post em.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If they are the keel rollers leave them where they are. They are there to keep your boat from hitting the crossmember and lining up the boat for the bunks at odd angle boat ramps. You dont want your boat resting on them, thats what the bunks are for.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Registered

Default Rollers

The rollers sit about one to two inches bellow the boat. There is no contact to the hull whats so ever . I realize yoiu dont want the rollers supporting the weight. But I thought it was important for the rollers to assist in guiding the boat onto the trailer?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stated a few times, the keel rollers are there to assist on odd ramp angles. You don't want them assisting to boat up the trailer because once weight starts being applied to the keel, the boat will in turn, "keel over". Hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.