Notices

06 Ford 6.0 Diesel

Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an 06 550 and nothing is worse than sitting on the side of the road waiting for 2 tow trucks [1 for the boat] and a wife saying you should have kept the old truck. beleive me ive been there, I now have a 650 with the cat 6 cyl more than twice the fuel milage and unlimited braking power.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waycool marine
I had an 06 550 and nothing is worse than sitting on the side of the road waiting for 2 tow trucks [1 for the boat] and a wife saying you should have kept the old truck. beleive me ive been there, I now have a 650 with the cat 6 cyl more than twice the fuel milage and unlimited braking power.
Not to mention twice the towing power. You made the right decision, the 650 is an awesome truck but I saw an article in Diesel Power this company put a Cummins in their 550, more power better fuel mileage and better reliability.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are known to be highly problematic, the fixes are expensive, they are a b!tch to work on, and have terrible resale for the same reasons... why take a chance with one???
Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
http://www.courthousenews.com/​2010/11/09/Ford.pdf

http://classactionlawsuitsinthenews....diesel-engine/

I have an '05 6.0L F-250 with 110,000 miles on it. The truck was flawless up to about 105,000 miles, with only routine maintenance necessary, and up until then I was a strong supporter of them. But a couple months ago, the sht started to hit the fan and it's been in the shop more than on the road. All the typical bullsht: EGR, Oil Cooler, coolant puking, steering/brake booster failure, leaking front main seal, turbo problems, etc.......the only thing that hasn't happened is the heads warping, but I'm sure that's coming, too, because they're junk.

Your chances with the 6.0L are about 50/50...half of them are junk, the other half run fine. Which one will you end up with???...
The 6.4L is even worse I hear, but I don't know from experience.
The 6.0L & 6.4L were designed and built by Navistar/International.

Now, the new 6.8L on the other hand is Ford built and designed and it absolutely awesome! Too bad a new truck is $50,000+
Some wrong things in here the new engine is getting huge reviews and its a 6.7. The 6.4 has had no major issue, minus the ones and twos out there. The 6.0 was chit eninge all in all. But if you have one after 05 the majority of the kinks were worked out.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 6.0 popped at 69,000 miles. I had intake, 5" turbo back exhaust, no muffler and a tuner set on mild. stretched the headbolts. New motor from Ford and stud upgrade held together to almost 300k then traded it off.