Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
35 mistress and 1/2 ton truck..... >

35 mistress and 1/2 ton truck.....

Notices

35 mistress and 1/2 ton truck.....

Old 11-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With most 1/2 ton transmissions, pulling anything over about 8K is like pulling the pin on a grenade. They typically aren't able to stay in lockup, and that converter is busy trying to boil the fluid. Remember how you were able to raise the temp of your solution with the little magnetic stirrer pill in chemistry class?

There is a reason HD rigs meant for pulling heavy have 4.10 or 4.56 gears and heavy transmissions. I think if I were going to pull 13K any distance with a small block gas motor, I'd want like 5.88 gears.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 775 Likes on 353 Posts

That thing has to weight as much or more than my Cafe.

You need to be in a full one-ton and preferably a dually if you ask me. I wouldn't tow my boat with anything less - it is just plain stupid.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like he moved this boat once, if that the case big deal, if he did it on a regular basis then he should step up, really no reason for everyone to call people names on here, why is it so hard to be polite and voice are opinions
Old 11-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

Can one pull a boat and trailer that size with a half ton? Maybe. Would one really want to be caught towing a boat and trailer that size? Definitely not. As has alrerady been said, it will significantly shorten the life of the truck and probably void your warranty if anybody at your dealership sees it. Worse yet, trying to stop that load with a half ton might just significantly shorten somebody else's life. Not worth the risk in my humble opinion.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88242LS
, really no reason for everyone to call people names on here, why is it so hard to be polite and voice are opinions
88242LS. Not trying to bash you here.

I really don't see where anyone is being very inpolite. Yes, I for one used the words stupid and sheer loonisy about pulling that load with a ½ ton on a regular basis. That is not the same as calling the guy anything, I don't know him. I do very much agree that moving it once if anything else can't be done, well, it is what it is and we've all been there. But thinking it's fine or doing it on a regular basis, that is not very bright. What it partly comes down to is, that our reaction might have been a bit different if the OP had posted the fact, he's friend does not pull that boat every weekend in post #1.

It's all good. Carry on.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 11-15-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
88242LS. Not trying to bash you here.

I really don't see where anyone is being very inpolite. Yes, I for one used the words stupid and sheer loonisy about pulling that load with a ½ ton on a regular basis. That is not the same as calling the guy anything, I don't know him. I do very much agree that moving it once if anything else can't be done, well, it is what it is and we've all been there. But thinking it's fine or doing it on a regular basis, that is not very bright. What it partly comes down to is, that our reaction might have been a bit different if the OP had posted the fact, he's friend does not pull that boat every weekend in post #1.

It's all good. Carry on.
no bashing taken
lately here on OSO I've seen some things that annoy me, guess thats why I never ventured outta the Formula forum but its winter and I'm bored...
were all here for fun and because were passionate about what we love,
lets keep it that way!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

he don't do it regularly, but said it was no big deal and he would do it again, I am just trying to make him see before something bad happens...
Old 11-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Without electric brakes how could you even back a boat that heavy down a ramp with a 1/2 ton? It would drag it right into the water.

I''ve pulled a Baja 302 with a 2000 Expedition. It was scary.

More recently I pulled a 29 Outlaw with a 2009 Chrysler Aspen Hemi. It did rather well. Just had crawl backwards down my ramp.

When I bought my 342, I went right to an F350. Wouldn't even want to have a nightmare about pulling it with a 1/2 ton anything. First trip was with no trailer brakes and it manhandled the dually. That trip was to get all new electric brakes installed Talk about having to plan your stops Trailer brakes make the towing.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

That 1/2 ton chevy uses a little flimsy 2nd gear band on a stamped sheet metal drum, when overloaded this stuff just goes up in smoke!!! I see guys kill their 1/2 ton trucks all the time towing enclosed snowmobile trailers, between the 2nd/od band getting smoked and that little 1/2" wide x 11" dia strip of lockup clutch lining in the torque convertor clutch that is only partially applied on theses newer transmissions glazing and burning out, I wouldn't consider towing anything close to that weight in a vehicle I planned on keeping!!! Smitty