Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
6.0L PSD Ford F250, blown head gasket >

6.0L PSD Ford F250, blown head gasket

Notices

6.0L PSD Ford F250, blown head gasket

Old 11-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default 6.0L PSD Ford F250, blown head gasket

Posting for a buddy. He's got a 2006 Ford F250 work truck with 111,000 miles. He just got word that the overheat last week is a blown head gasket. $4200 for the first quote to replace, and that's IF there is no head work needed. Checking around now for other quotes.

The truck spends 65% towing, and most of that is local towing at the truck's capacity. (He tows his skid steers, mini ex, and other construction equipment/gear/supplies.) The EGR has been replaced a couple times. What next? Transmission? Bottom end?

Question: Fix and run it into the dirt, or cut bait and buy a new truck?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I researched these trucks recently for my own company and found that blown head gaskets are a recurring problem on that motor. Bite the bullet and fix it, but add a set of APR head studs. A call to Ford will likely get it fixed for a hefty discount or maybe even free. All you have to do is check google or youtube for the numerous problems. The motor is solid when the egr and head stud problems are fixed and there are plenty with 300K
Old 11-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Call me I own a diesel shop and do at least 2 sets a month 774 319 1006
Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Registered

been there done that...'06 6.0 PSD head gaskets, EGR. 72k miles but with a Banks computer on it. Dealer did the head gaskets under warranty (just made the 5 yrs) but 2weeks later when the egr cooler took a dump they wanted $2k so I called Ford and screamed like a school girl and they did if for $1k. 2 months later 4 injectors!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Posting for a buddy. He's got a 2006 Ford F250 work truck with 111,000 miles. He just got word that the overheat last week is a blown head gasket. $4200 for the first quote to replace, and that's IF there is no head work needed. Checking around now for other quotes.

The truck spends 65% towing, and most of that is local towing at the truck's capacity. (He tows his skid steers, mini ex, and other construction equipment/gear/supplies.) The EGR has been replaced a couple times. What next? Transmission? Bottom end?

Question: Fix and run it into the dirt, or cut bait and buy a new truck?
you wont find a new one for 4200.00 and they wont give ya ch!t on a trade cuz of the 6.0 may as well bite the bullet and run it .... 2004 and newer 6.0s you definetly have to change the studs
Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there a website thediesel stop.com its a ford site go to the 6.0 section tells all the problems and fixs , im a dealer and have had a couple bad 6.0s you have to do all the fixs or your wasting your time. if the truck was a 03/04 I would say scrap it or sell it, but after 04 they were better but still have issues, and crappy resale, happy reading there many,many pages
Old 11-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered

I like mine. Let me ask you this one simple question, and please be honest: Did he have a tuner on it ?

Reason I'm asking...is ALOT of guys throw tuners on these motors...turn it up to the RETARD setting...then complain cause they got motor problems. You cant add 150-200 more hp and then drive it like you stole it with the stock head bolts. Simple as that.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The 6.0 was supposed to be Fords "master of puppets"....but
the head bolts should be studs, b/c the factory deals bottom out....arp studs solve that prob..
the egr valve has been redesigned by Ford...it now has a shield that is supposed to prevent carbon build up.....but out of waranty.. it's a $700 job ..on a $100 part.... or less if you push......anyone can slap the part in in 15 minutes.....the 6.0 has a few factory flaws, but if you're not beating the craft out of it (or hopping it to the wall), the regular maintenance should outlast or be cheaper than the "needed parts"...+ or-...
since this is a boat forum, i've heard that that truck can tow 95% of the hi-po boats on the market...that's cool, because i can't afford the other 5 %.......
btw...i miss my chevy...
Old 11-23-2011, 10:28 PM
VIP Member

Fix it. Replace gaskets and also replace the EGR with an EGR delete kit from Sinister. Then it will be trouble free for a few hundred thousand miles more..
Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Thanks for y'alls opinion. I know he appreciates it, as so I.
No tuner whatsoever. Bone stock.

He loves the truck so much, he's had several of them. He currently has an '06 CC Dually 6.0L PSD with 35K miles on it just for towing the boat, and as a backup work truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.