Old 12-11-2011, 01:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Made in USA, Interesting

Article is a little dated but still good reading:

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/int.../07-10-06.html

Catmando should love this!!!!

Cat your list of haters has grown with your recent comments of foreign made vehicles. LOL Dodge = Mexico?

The Dodge Ram 1500, Dodge Ram Mega Cab, Dodge Ram 2500/3500, DX Chassis Cab (Mexico Market), Dodge Ram 4500/5500 are built in Chrysler's Saltillo Assembly Plant in Coahuila, Mexico; the Dodge Ram 1500 and Dodge Dakota are built at the Warren Truck Assembly Plant in Warren, Michigan.[17] The Ram 1500 was also assembled at the Saint Louis Assembly plant in Fenton, Missouri before the plant was permanently closed in July 2009.[18]

The second generation Tundra is assembled at two different United States locations, the original Princeton, Indiana plant supplemented by a newly built San Antonio, Texas plant. Combined, the two plants give Toyota a maximum capacity of produce 300,000 Tundra units annually or 100,000 units from the Indiana plant and another 200,000 units from the Texas plant. When designing the Texas plant, Toyota arranged for 21 key Tundra suppliers to set up factories on the same site to avoid logistical issues, however those suppliers are more vulnerable to a market downturn. Toyota also included a $9 million dollar health care facility to serve workers and their dependents.[5]

In the spring of 2008 Toyota moved all Tundra production to the Texas plant. All Tundra engines and transmissions are built in the United States. As sales fell in 2008, production of Tundra at San Antonio stopped for three months.[6]

All info from wikipedia

Last edited by 97FASTech; 12-11-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: More new info
Old 12-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People hate me far more for my political and religious views(Liberal Atheist) than they do for what I think about wimpyass Yo trucks. But methinks thou doth protest too much(you have a piece of Japcrap Yo right)? Yeah I thought so.

You do know that all profits go to Yo which is a Japanese company right? You do know that all the profit from American vehicles goes to American companies right? And you do know that Japan does not allow American vehicles to be built and sold in Japan right? Tell me again why you don't buy American vehicles...

I have two Chrysler products in my garage right now. I've never bought a Japanese vehicle in my life and don't ever plan to. I'm proud of that.

But yall enjoy your Japcrap trucks of which the profits from your purchases went to Japan not America. Just don't talk about my perceived lack of patriotism. I buy American whenever and wherever I can. And trust me I don't give a rat's ass what you or anyone else on this site thinks of my political, religious and vehicle views.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The profits do make the biggest difference to me as well. I don't care that your toyota, nissan, honda, whatever is built here. I'd like to hear that the profits are staying here in the US. I'd also like to hear about how many plants are being supported here, not just the final assembly plant.

I also don't believe that article too much. There are American cars that are built here and have major parts (engines for example) also built here in other US factories that they count as "import".

I found references to the Tundra being 65% domestic in other articles, but this one pegs it at 80%.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
The profits do make the biggest difference to me as well. I don't care that your toyota, nissan, honda, whatever is built here. I'd like to hear that the profits are staying here in the US. I'd also like to hear about how many plants are being supported here, not just the final assembly plant.

I also don't believe that article too much. There are American cars that are built here and have major parts (engines for example) also built here in other US factories that they count as "import".

I found references to the Tundra being 65% domestic in other articles, but this one pegs it at 80%.
Well Said buddy. And thats the biggest defense people say well my jap junk Tundra is made in TENN, and its an american car. The only reason the Japanese built these plants was to make it a little cheaper for them and so they could market it. As soon as they pay their light bills, Mortage, and employees the money comes straight back to Japan. I am guessing a lot of the raw materials comes from Japan as well.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

The profits ultimately go to the institutional stock holders, and I would bet a large number of them are smart enough to have tax nexus somewhere else (such as Sweden).

If you want to be patriotic you are probably best off buying the car that is made in America and not an "American" corporation. That is what employs the guys in these towns where the plants are located. My .02.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
The profits ultimately go to the institutional stock holders, and I would bet a large number of them are smart enough to have tax nexus somewhere else (such as Sweden).

If you want to be patriotic you are probably best off buying the car that is made in America and not an "American" corporation. That is what employs the guys in these towns where the plants are located. My .02.
You have some valid points. But have you ever read how Toyota and companies like that pay their workers and treat them, look at sometime. Investment by the stockholders and the corporations create a lot more jobs and economic prosperoty then the few jobs that Toyota and Mazda have created here. Buy American helps. One builder formulated(and confirmed by economist) that if all builder bought ONLY 5% made in America products 200k jobs would be created. Now think if every American bought 5% more.

I think people need to start taking this approach, How would I feel if people start buying japanese insurance that I sell, or buying Iraqi boat motors that I make in my shop. Americans started buying with their own job in mind we would be better off. Because the economy is a full circle and is your profession the next one to be outsourced?

Last edited by soldier4402; 12-12-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
You have some valid points. But have you ever read how Toyota and companies like that pay their workers and treat them, look at sometime. Investment by the stockholders and the corporations create a lot more jobs and economic prosperoty then the few jobs that Toyota and Mazda have created here. Buy American helps. One builder formulated(and confirmed by economist) that if all builder bought ONLY 5% made in America products 200k jobs would be created. Now think if every American bought 5% more.

I think people need to start taking this approach, How would I feel if people start buying japanese insurance that I sell, or buying Iraqi boat motors that I make in my shop. Americans started buying with their own job in mind we would be better off. Because the economy is a full circle and is your profession the next one to be outsourced?
The long and short is that you're completely correct. Additionally, not only would more jobs be ultimately created by American corporate reinvestent of profits but our taxes would be reduced.

One of Ronald Reagan's poorest ideas as President was to encourage Foreign corporations to come to this Country and build plants here. He should have, instead, passed import tariffs to match the same tariffs extant on our products in the Asian Countries. To do this he allowed foreign corporations to pay NO taxes to the Federal Government. Additionally, States and citys offered foreign companies not only no State or local taxes but millions of US taxpayer dollars added to the incentive to locate in those cities. So, essentially, the American taxpayer has had his economic future compromised by his own tax dollars.

The foreign companies have certainly abused this to the Nth degree as they have had a track record of picking up and moving their plant to some other city offering massive incentives 9.5 years after they have located somewhere else.

The foreign companies will tell you that they hire union workers but they are paid, on the average, half of what US companies pay their workers. And remember the track record of moving every 9.5 years allows them NOT to allow their workers to be vested into a retirement program from the union. Years ago, it was calculated that all this manipulation has allowed the foreign companies to to have a MINIMUM of a $2500 cost advantage. I suspect that if the calculations were done today and on higher cost foreign vehicles, that advantage would be MUCH higher.

For those who are unable to understand what I have said, allow me to simplify. In 1975, the US Congress had a law to be voted on mandating a MAXIMUM 4 day work week! This at a point in time when the average middle income family had ONE breadearner with ONE job, although two breadearners each with one job was not uncommon. Compare that to today where each parent has 2 or MORE jobs in order to survive, not to live well like in the '70's. We, as taxpayers and employees were sold out by a VERY flawed economic decision from the Reagan administration and the damage continues.

In conclusion, I'd like to cite this definition of traitor:

Traitor - Definition

In law, treason is the crime of disloyalty to one's nation. A person who reneges on an oath of loyalty or a pledge of allegiance, and in some way willfully cooperates with an enemy, is considered to be a traitor. Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as: "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]."

I'd say that "citizens actions to help a foreign government.. seriously injure the [parent nation]" applies equally in the case of politics or economics.
That said, I'll never buy a product from a foreign based company.

Last edited by Hematite; 12-12-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Improved language, spelling
Old 12-12-2011, 03:45 PM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Made in America and "assembled" in American are two very different concepts...... Jap products are "assembled" in america... none are "made" here....
Old 12-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193

+1 IMO the 65% is still quite high!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"...One of Ronald Reagan's poorest ideas as President was to encourage Foreign corporations to come to this Country and build plants here. He should have, instead, passed import tariffs to match the same tariffs extant on our products in the Asian Countries. To do this he allowed foreign corporations to pay NO taxes to the Federal Government. Additionally, States and citys offered foreign companies not only no State or local taxes but millions of US taxpayer dollars added to the incentive to locate in those cities. So, essentially, the American taxpayer has had his economic future compromised by his own tax dollars..."

I love the whole post but I wanted to quote this paragraph in particular. We have little or no manufacturing left. What American products can we buy now?? Well here is a website that just started up. They don't have many products now but they advertise American products exclusively and are looking for American companies that want to display their products online. So if you know of any American-owned companies, please give them this URL;

http://keepamerica.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.