Notices

SRW towing? Not for me!! *

Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Friend has a 09 F450 and if the thing gets stuck just about all the time, always need to be in 4wd in that thing it seems if your off the pavement or doing something on wet pavement. Doesnt make it a chit truck, but one thing I have noticed with his rig.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Good evening, are you asking why they would use a lower rated tire or are you asking "hey 4 rear tires rated at 5,000 lbs each is 20,000 lbs yet the truck say 4,000lbs payload".

I'm not understanding the question fully because the tire rating is the tire rating, the tire itself doesn't change - you can be advise to run less PSI which would make sense it the combined rating of all 4 tires exceeds the load capcity and that is simple to answer but you need to ask it different for me to understand - thanks.
The sidewall of every LT truck tire I've ever bought had two ratings: SRW and DRW, with the DRW having a lower weight rating & psi. I agree, the tire is independent of the axle or installation, so why does the TIRE manufacturer stamp different capacities on the tire?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Friend has a 09 F450 and if the thing gets stuck just about all the time, always need to be in 4wd in that thing it seems if your off the pavement or doing something on wet pavement. Doesnt make it a chit truck, but one thing I have noticed with his rig.
I test drove a 2011 long bed SRW king ranch and it spun bad going up a wet paved incline, but it had the 3.73 locking dif, flip the switch and away u go.
Cool,
Old 12-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Interesting thread, I'll add my 2 cents. I normally stay out of the towing debates:
I used to own a chevy crew cab dually w/bbc and banks kit, pitiful mileage, before the banks kit it got 9.5 empty and 4.5-7 mpg towing (4.5 mpg was towing 2500 lb snowmobile trailer in 4wd, one of the hardest things there are to tow)
The dually was the absolute WORST thing I EVER drove truck wise when it comes to snow, better be in 4wd or you'll be upside down off the road. The guys that have said "I don't get stuck any worse in the snow with my drw vs srw" don't know what us northernors are complaining bout then. Its not getting stuck so much as it is when you drive on snow covered roads the drw's climb outside of the tire tracks/ruts on the road and throw you around violently trying to swap the trucks ends. Combine this with higher floatation and the inability to dig down to the pavement with the extra tires makes it a white knuckle ride. Now, srw's with those big GAY azz oversize tires also do this too, I laugh as I pass them on snow covered roads in my beater daily driver with Blizzak tires on it.
Now, other than the mileage, empty ride and ill handling in the snow I really liked my dually when towing, held the road nice, felt rock solid, not much stuff you towed could toss you around.
I no longer own a dually and don't plan on owning another as actually tow in the snow much more than I tow in the summer. I currectly own a 4wd 08 duramx quad cab short box 2500 and it is a dedicated tow vehicle, I rarely drive it empty. In retrospect since I no longer drive it around empty much if I were replacing it tommorrow I would buy a long box for the extra stability and storage space.
As far as towing capacity's, I'm not sure of the legal ramifications of towing past the vehicles rating but I will tell you this -1/2 ton trucks are PIZZ poor for towing, if you have a truck and it's your DAILY driver and you tow your 7500 lb boat once in a while and the manufacturer claims your truck is o/k at 9000 lbs you will squeak by but if the main thing you do is tow do yourself a favor and buy a REAL truck, I have towed my 7000 lb 272 Baja with 1/2 ton trucks and it feels like its friggin killing it. A friend of mine was towing it with his 5.3 z-71 w/ 3.73 gears and the damn thing was down into 2nd gear every time we caught a gust of wind and just felt grossly overloaded. I rebuild transmissions for a living and let me tell you, the little tiny toy band on the sheet metal stamped out drum in gm's 1/2 tons turns black pretty fast when going in and out of overdrive or banging down into second gear constantly. Yeah, you don't need a 3/4 ton hd to tow a 2000lb camper but if you have a boat that weighs much more than 5000 lbs and you tow EVERYWHERE like I do, buy a real truck, Smitty
Old 12-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by handfulz28
The sidewall of every LT truck tire I've ever bought had two ratings: SRW and DRW, with the DRW having a lower weight rating & psi. I agree, the tire is independent of the axle or installation, so why does the TIRE manufacturer stamp different capacities on the tire?
I have never seen an LT tire rated to DRW pressure which is 80psi. IIRC my 03 Ram SRW's tires were rated around 60psi but could have been lower.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Interesting thread, I'll add my 2 cents. I normally stay out of the towing debates:
I used to own a chevy crew cab dually w/bbc and banks kit, pitiful mileage, before the banks kit it got 9.5 empty and 4.5-7 mpg towing (4.5 mpg was towing 2500 lb snowmobile trailer in 4wd, one of the hardest things there are to tow)
The dually was the absolute WORST thing I EVER drove truck wise when it comes to snow, better be in 4wd or you'll be upside down off the road. The guys that have said "I don't get stuck any worse in the snow with my drw vs srw" don't know what us northernors are complaining bout then. Its not getting stuck so much as it is when you drive on snow covered roads the drw's climb outside of the tire tracks/ruts on the road and throw you around violently trying to swap the trucks ends. Combine this with higher floatation and the inability to dig down to the pavement with the extra tires makes it a white knuckle ride. Now, srw's with those big GAY azz oversize tires also do this too, I laugh as I pass them on snow covered roads in my beater daily driver with Blizzak tires on it.
Now, other than the mileage, empty ride and ill handling in the snow I really liked my dually when towing, held the road nice, felt rock solid, not much stuff you towed could toss you around.
I no longer own a dually and don't plan on owning another as actually tow in the snow much more than I tow in the summer. I currectly own a 4wd 08 duramx quad cab short box 2500 and it is a dedicated tow vehicle, I rarely drive it empty. In retrospect since I no longer drive it around empty much if I were replacing it tommorrow I would buy a long box for the extra stability and storage space.
As far as towing capacity's, I'm not sure of the legal ramifications of towing past the vehicles rating but I will tell you this -1/2 ton trucks are PIZZ poor for towing, if you have a truck and it's your DAILY driver and you tow your 7500 lb boat once in a while and the manufacturer claims your truck is o/k at 9000 lbs you will squeak by but if the main thing you do is tow do yourself a favor and buy a REAL truck, I have towed my 7000 lb 272 Baja with 1/2 ton trucks and it feels like its friggin killing it. A friend of mine was towing it with his 5.3 z-71 w/ 3.73 gears and the damn thing was down into 2nd gear every time we caught a gust of wind and just felt grossly overloaded. I rebuild transmissions for a living and let me tell you, the little tiny toy band on the sheet metal stamped out drum in gm's 1/2 tons turns black pretty fast when going in and out of overdrive or banging down into second gear constantly. Yeah, you don't need a 3/4 ton hd to tow a 2000lb camper but if you have a boat that weighs much more than 5000 lbs and you tow EVERYWHERE like I do, buy a real truck, Smitty
I have a fountain that weighs around 9500 and tow with an ecoboost that is rated for 11,300. I had a F250 diesel, and to be honest I dont know the difference. You have a lot of good points, but modern day half tons are more than capable than towing 5-6k lb loads these days. If you think about it, you have to look at the majority of drivers. They tow within 1-2hours from may to sep, and having a diesel around to do that just isnt cost effective. Now I would agree if your towing 8-10klbs from state to state on a regular basis or for your job than yes get a real truck. Right now I tow that boat with just my wife and I and bag 53 miles round trip. EB is saving me 85 bucks a week on fill up, $100 savings on oil changes a year, no fuel filters at 65 a crack, insurance is 100 cheaper a year, and registration is 40 bucks cheaper. Add that up and thats 4500 bucks a year to tow a boat 25mins one way, its kind of a no brainer. Truck pays for its self in gas savings and gives me more money in the pocket.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone is concerened about the tires, buy some actual "Trailer Rated" tires and install them on the truck. They have a G & H rating, standard 80psi, stiffer sidewalls- less flex, and, carry the load/weight better. Much better than an LT tire. That is if you can find them in anything larger than a 16" diameter as most larger trailer tires are 16". Im sure there may be some other tires out there that may have the same rating, but have never looked.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 45Tripps
If someone is concerened about the tires, buy some actual "Trailer Rated" tires and install them on the truck. They have a G & H rating, standard 80psi, stiffer sidewalls- less flex, and, carry the load/weight better. Much better than an LT tire. That is if you can find them in anything larger than a 16" diameter as most larger trailer tires are 16". Im sure there may be some other tires out there that may have the same rating, but have never looked.
You talking SRW tires or DRW. Buddy with his 450 has Coopers that are G or H and think he has 18 or 20in rims on that truck. I know Carlyle makes some heavy duty stuff.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I have a fountain that weighs around 9500 and tow with an ecoboost that is rated for 11,300. I had a F250 diesel, and to be honest I dont know the difference. You have a lot of good points, but modern day half tons are more than capable than towing 5-6k lb loads these days. If you think about it, you have to look at the majority of drivers. They tow within 1-2hours from may to sep, and having a diesel around to do that just isnt cost effective. Now I would agree if your towing 8-10klbs from state to state on a regular basis or for your job than yes get a real truck. Right now I tow that boat with just my wife and I and bag 53 miles round trip. EB is saving me 85 bucks a week on fill up, $100 savings on oil changes a year, no fuel filters at 65 a crack, insurance is 100 cheaper a year, and registration is 40 bucks cheaper. Add that up and thats 4500 bucks a year to tow a boat 25mins one way, its kind of a no brainer. Truck pays for its self in gas savings and gives me more money in the pocket.
i baught a 38 fountain,and towed it home,app 250 miles,i noticed some swaying of the trailer around long winds in the road,i am thinking about getting a dually to get rid of the swaying,when i got home,i checked the tire pressures in the trailer,they were set at the max pressure according to the marking on the tires,i see you said you cant feef a difference with both of your trucks.do you notice any swaying when you tow your boat,and what is the length of your boat?when i tow my 31 ao cat,i feel no swaying,o i forgot to mention,my truck is a 2005 f250 4wd,and have 15,000 miles on the tires.i really dont want to buy another truck,just to pull the fountain,but the swaying worries me,as i am planning some long trips with it next summer.any imput on the swaying,and how to get rid of it,will be appriciated.i think the toung weight is right.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i baught a 38 fountain,and towed it home,app 250 miles,i noticed some swaying of the trailer around long winds in the road,i am thinking about getting a dually to get rid of the swaying,when i got home,i checked the tire pressures in the trailer,they were set at the max pressure according to the marking on the tires,i see you said you cant feef a difference with both of your trucks.do you notice any swaying when you tow your boat,and what is the length of your boat?when i tow my 31 ao cat,i feel no swaying,o i forgot to mention,my truck is a 2005 f250 4wd,and have 15,000 miles on the tires.i really dont want to buy another truck,just to pull the fountain,but the swaying worries me,as i am planning some long trips with it next summer.any imput on the swaying,and how to get rid of it,will be appriciated.i think the toung weight is right.
boat is a 29. and the swaying wasnt bad, I think the truck has some sort of anti sway mechanism in it or something actually. The only thing I do differently is stop a little sooner figuring I have 1500lbs less of a truck to stop the boat with, but then again that only meant more truck to stop with. Im complete honest I dont see the difference, I may feel it a little more but nothing noticeable, but acceleration I think is even quicker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.