Notices

SRW towing? Not for me!! *

Old 12-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
I will answer with NO you would not use the one rated for more. You know over the road legal limit is 80,000lbs and to do that you need a twin screw tractor and a tamden axle trailer, right?

Case in point my old company hauled clothing, very light loads hardly over 65,000 gross ever. We had both single and twin axle sleeper cabs and the for lack of a better word "roadability" of the single axle was far greater than that of the twin screw because without enough weight on all those tires they had very little traction. People on here mention a dually is bad in rain, bad in snow and they have to put extra weight in it. Think about that you need to add weight to compress the tires to allow them to displace the rain covered road and allow water to be channeled into the rain grooves of the tires. Without the weight the tires skim above the water and do not displace it.

If single axle was soo good then why did we have both? Because we hauled 100% clothing to the West Coast and 25% clothing going back East. The non-clothing backhauls were usally very heavy nuts, fruits in reefers and we had to be able to get the trucks back East so we compermised with more twin screw trucks to get faster backhauls.

I will tell you when you look across the thousands of vehicles we had that tire wear on the tractors although good because 50% of the miles were light it was very choppy, lots of irregular edge wear and the trailers were really bad all of this according to Goodyear and Michilen can be traced back to not enough weight to compress the sidewalls the way they were designed to be.

Yes, you can let some air out but when a driver hooks to a trailer he loads it and goes. Our operation was the highest mileage per year fleet operation in the US, we were given trucks, engines, trans, rears, u-joints, etc, etc every month to test - the trucks averaged 240,000 miles per year and for a fleet that is insane!

So again, if not going to be using the added capcity of a DRW then you are not getting out it what you can and are actually putting yourself at more risk most of the time than the safety you feel you gain by the DRW preventing whatever you think will happen because of a blowout or something.

I will make anyone an offer that lives near NJ, you call my cell 732-718-2711 if you have stability problems with your trailer and I will help you get to the root cause, most will be balance more than anything.

Joe Gere
Well said.

My setup is awesome, I just wish I knew what I did to make it like that! J/K LOL! or maybe I just don't want to share all my secrets....

Nice of you to offer help though.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered

I am not an engine builder but this sorta makes sense to me.

The complete package is what makes something "work".

Bigger is not always better. Going with the biggest Carb does not make the Most HP.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Dude, you pull some nice cars.

The freightliner is a whole different animal.

As for this constant DRW ver. SRW, I don't get it. As a engineer I look at it simply if you are talking Medium duty PICKUP trucks, the rating for both conventional and 5th/ goose neck is higher for the DRW,,,, currently.

If you are using one of these type of trucks as a primary tow vehicle, would you not use the one rated to pull/haul the most? Will this change, seems like it may judging from the comments on commercial truck direction, but right now if you want to buy a pickup rated to tow the most from any of the big three it will be a DRW. Does that mean everyone needs one, of course not.

Tow at your rated load or under, what ever type of truck (SRW, DRW) no big deal.

Man, the next thread will have to be my dad can beat up your dad!
Thanks!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

So again, if not going to be using the added capcity of a DRW then you are not getting out it what you can and are actually putting yourself at more risk most of the time than the safety you feel you gain by the DRW preventing whatever you think will happen because of a blowout or something.
Now that makes sense.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 12-17-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

With all the bantering on these threads should I take that remark as a complement or an insult?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered

LOL,

Complement, I for one have no problem changing my mind if solid engineering based evidence is presented.

Oh no, good I am not in politics, that would mean I am a flip flopper!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

See, now that is funny! Thank you for the vote of confidence!

Like I said in another SRW /DRW one, next truck probaly a DRW.

I'm going to ruin my practical, experienced based image with this one BUT I use a F-250 SRW to pull my triple axle boat trailer about 13,000 total and I use the same truck to pull a tandem dually trailer I have loaded to about 16,000.

I run too much weight toward the rear of the heavy trailer so the truck does not have too much on it. The tandem dually pulls nice and makes up for the lack of tonuge weight by the fact it just has too many tires and weight to sway and the axles are set wayyyyy back on it. I want to carry more on the truck so I'll need to get a DRW at some point if I don't switch to a lighter trailer I'll shift the load forward a few feet to settle the DRW truck down.

I can ramble at times - good night!

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 12-17-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a boat hauling company and I have three trucks. All of them are srw. Why? Better fuel mileage and less tires to buy. What do I think tows better? Duallys. Srw's definitely get pushed around more on the highway but I always say a dually is for someone who doesn't know how to drive. I see no reason at all for a dually unless you are putting cars on top of a gooseneck trailer. There is No reason for extra axle capacity on a bumper pull trailer. Also, can anyone see their trailer tires in a dually? No way. How about your marker lights? If your boat is over width then it helps to know where your right side tires are on the trailer. You can't do that in a dually. I have a 2001 dodge 2500 with over 1,000,0000 miles towing boats. 0 jackknifes.

Now should we discuss rwd vs 4wd?
Old 12-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Dude, you pull some nice cars.

The freightliner is a whole different animal.

As for this constant DRW ver. SRW, I don't get it. As a engineer I look at it simply if you are talking Medium duty PICKUP trucks, the rating for both conventional and 5th/ goose neck is higher for the DRW,,,, currently.

If you are using one of these type of trucks as a primary tow vehicle, would you not use the one rated to pull/haul the most? Will this change, seems like it may judging from the comments on commercial truck direction, but right now if you want to buy a pickup rated to tow the most from any of the big three it will be a DRW. Does that mean everyone needs one, of course not.

Tow at your rated load or under, what ever type of truck (SRW, DRW) no big deal.
Just curious, you said medium duty and pickup so do you mean a F650 or GMC 4500 Kodiak with a pickup bed? Remember that 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton pickups are light-duty trucks.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
Just curious, you said medium duty and pickup so do you mean a F650 or GMC 4500 Kodiak with a pickup bed? Remember that 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton pickups are light-duty trucks.
1/2, 3/4, 1 ton.

Corrected.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 12-18-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.