Notices

hard to start diesel

Old 12-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default hard to start diesel

I just picked up one of my companys trucks and it is a diesel that seems to be hard to start. The truck is a 1995 chevy 3500 dually diesel. It is beat as everyone drives it and it gets no maintinece. Only as needed. I have driven it before and it started easyier than now. It is kept inside. Normally you turn the key till the glow light goes out and it starts right up. Now you turn the key till the glow light goes out and it cranks a while and tries to fire. I repeat the procedure and it takes a little cranking and will finally start. Any ideas. could it be a simple fix or it will go to the shop.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably some bad glow plugs or glow plug relay.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

im am a pro on the 6.5 diesel...first make sure the glow plug timer and glow plug light stays on for the first 10-15 seconds,,if it goes on then off after 2 secondw then you have some bad glow plugs,,replace them with wellin instant glows or bosch short fire glow plugs,,thease work way etter then the stock a/c glow plugs...

also make sure your batterys are in the best condition,thease old mechanical injection pumps need to see x amount of rpm in order to build up pressure in the mechanical pump to fire the injectors,,if you still have 15w40 in the engine and its below 32* the engine will crank over slow and will put a big strain on the starter,you need to drop the weight to straight 30w oil which gm reccomends for colder weather on the 6.5...pluging in the block heater also helps in the cold weather..

injection pump timing also plays a big part in cold weather starting on the 6.5,if their was a recent injection pump installed and the installer did not time the pump rite it will start and die,start and die..

if you plan on pulling with this truck in the summer heat their are a few cooling system updates that i can reccomend along with some mods that will let you hang close with a stock duramax..
Old 12-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Registered

The glow light did come on and off faster than normal a few times. This truck is abused. The motor was replaced in 2002 i think. A son of the boss ran it out of oil and ceased it. Its a shame. I have to say it run and runs and runs. One guy put gas in it. I know we had to have it all drained and flushed. That was about 4 yrs ago. The batterys are new and the starter is spinning very good so cranking and voltage is not a problem Its either fuel or the glow plugs i would think. I will fix it if it is a quick fix and cheap, other than that the boss can buy parts and ill fix on works time or send it out. Its like pulling teeth to get regular maintince done on our vehicles and we have a good amount of equipment. Sucks.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:49 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

change the oil pressure switch..
Old 12-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Allicat38
The glow light did come on and off faster than normal a few times. This truck is abused. The motor was replaced in 2002 i think. A son of the boss ran it out of oil and ceased it. Its a shame. I have to say it run and runs and runs. One guy put gas in it. I know we had to have it all drained and flushed. That was about 4 yrs ago. The batterys are new and the starter is spinning very good so cranking and voltage is not a problem Its either fuel or the glow plugs i would think. I will fix it if it is a quick fix and cheap, other than that the boss can buy parts and ill fix on works time or send it out. Its like pulling teeth to get regular maintince done on our vehicles and we have a good amount of equipment. Sucks.
I know what you mean about the maintance part,,i work on my friends fleet of 6.5''s,you would not believe the stupid chit i do to fix his trucks. the last one i had in my shop a few weeks ago still had my oil filter on it and that was 28000 miles ago needless to say the engine still ran and needed heads and gaskets...thease engines only hold 8 qts of oil and the oil gets black real fast,it was like gear lube..most likely its the glow plugs,,another thing you can try is to put a clear hose on the top of the injection pump to the steel tube going to the injectors return line,,,start the engine up and let it run for a while,,let it sit over night and have someone crank the engine to try and start it while looking at the clear hose..if you see air bubbles in the clear line then you have a open circuit in the fuel system,,,you should see steady stream of diesel fuel and no bubbles...syspect a rusty linesucking air down by the trans or between the frame and the fuel tank..
Old 12-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Registered

I would check the power driver module, a place in buffalo NY I think its called S&S diesel. My 1997 6.5 would barely run changed that which only took 3 min. to change runs perfect now.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered

It runs fine. It just cranks longer than normal. This thing normally starts like any fuel injected car. pretty quick to start. Ill check it out if i get some time tommorow. If it should not start in the morning than ill have to look int it.

A little basic maintinece goes a long way. Why dont people understand this.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Allicat38
how do you run a truck out of OIL ????? just curious

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Registered

ETHER!!!!!!!!!!works every time........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.