Notices

Suburban LTZ vs Denali XL

Old 01-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete280
We have a 10 Yukon SLT 4wd, I love the looks, comfort, handling and powertrain, but I am disappointed on the fit and finish, it just seems like the plastic is cheaper than other vehicles I've owned and there's a lot of it.

My company car is a 2012 Taurus SEL and I think it has a better built interior than the Yukon and its worth half what they sell Yukons for, Still love the Yukon though
Yeh I loved the power and 6.2 when I wanted to buy a 2wd Denali to mod, but couldn't get over the interior for the $, it's shoddy and everything feels cheap and plasticky for that amount of cash, plus I hate GM's horrid Nav system. The Expedition may not have as much power, but it feels so much more solid and well crafted inside, wish they offered the new 6.2 in the Expedition, or even the Eco-Boost 6 that would be cool.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered

MIKE,
I HAVE A 2005 DENALI XL. BOUGHT IT NEW AND NOW HAVE 215,000 TROUBLE FREE MILES.
I RACE IN O.P.A.. MY BOAT AND TRAILER WEIGH 5,000 lbs. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM TOWING IT EVERYWHERE!! AND I HAD TO BACK DOWN SOME NASTY RAMPS.
I LIVE IN NEW YORK AND DROVE TO FLORIDA IN THAT BLIZZARD TWO YEARS AGO. CAR HANDLED GREAT!
I PROBABLY HAVE MORE TRUCK THEN I NEED FOR THE BOAT, BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT IT NEVER LET ME DOWN.
HOPE THAT HELPS.
ALSO, FEARLESS010, SAY HELLO TO BRIAN & WILMA ROSS IN OAKVILLE ONT. FOR ME. THANKS
JEFF-COUNTRY SERVICE AUTO TRANSPORT-BOAT#623 O.P.A
Old 01-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your dilemma is why i wanted to get the sierra with vortec max package
Old 01-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Registered

Default Happy to say hello!

Originally Posted by jjake0623
MIKE,
I HAVE A 2005 DENALI XL. BOUGHT IT NEW AND NOW HAVE 215,000 TROUBLE FREE MILES.
I RACE IN O.P.A.. MY BOAT AND TRAILER WEIGH 5,000 lbs. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM TOWING IT EVERYWHERE!! AND I HAD TO BACK DOWN SOME NASTY RAMPS.
I LIVE IN NEW YORK AND DROVE TO FLORIDA IN THAT BLIZZARD TWO YEARS AGO. CAR HANDLED GREAT!
I PROBABLY HAVE MORE TRUCK THEN I NEED FOR THE BOAT, BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT IT NEVER LET ME DOWN.
HOPE THAT HELPS.
ALSO, FEARLESS010, SAY HELLO TO BRIAN & WILMA ROSS IN OAKVILLE ONT. FOR ME. THANKS
JEFF-COUNTRY SERVICE AUTO TRANSPORT-BOAT#623 O.P.A
Given the topic and this specific post, thought I would post a picture of my boat being backed into the water by my Denali. JJAKE0623, take a careful look at the driver and the lovely lady on the dock. I'm the guy in the boat. It will be my pleasure to say hello to Brian and Wilma.

Fearless010 (Peter)

Last edited by Fearless010; 03-12-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Registered

Does the 5.3 have Active Fuel Management (I assume it does). Research the oil consumption issues with the 5.3. We have a 09 Suburban with the 5.3 and AFM. The dealer just put new pistons and rings in at about 55,000 miles because of the oil consumption. This is a very common issue and is extremely frustrating when you spend that much money and have to add oil inbetween changes. So far the new style pistons and rings have solved the issue, but GM had made others jump through hoops to get new pistons and rings.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mpally
Does the 5.3 have Active Fuel Management (I assume it does).
Is there info saying the AFM is the cause of the oil consumption? I could except (as the cause at least) that GM just lost control of quality and/or something happened to prevent rings from seating. But I can't see what AFM would have to do with it?

The 5.3 gets AFM and the 6.2 does not. I don't need the 6.2L power. It's just that it's easier to find a Denali than it is a Yukon XL with everything I want (loaded, with 2nd row heated bench). GMC service "tends" to be a little better than Chevy, and everyone has a Suburban. But the LTZ can be found exactly how I want; it's just getting to the dealer before somebody else gets it, which is what just happened.

I like the crew cab pickups but with 2 kids and now 3 dogs, we want the SUV.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Is there info saying the AFM is the cause of the oil consumption? I could except (as the cause at least) that GM just lost control of quality and/or something happened to prevent rings from seating. But I can't see what AFM would have to do with it?

The 5.3 gets AFM and the 6.2 does not. I don't need the 6.2L power. It's just that it's easier to find a Denali than it is a Yukon XL with everything I want (loaded, with 2nd row heated bench). GMC service "tends" to be a little better than Chevy, and everyone has a Suburban. But the LTZ can be found exactly how I want; it's just getting to the dealer before somebody else gets it, which is what just happened.

I like the crew cab pickups but with 2 kids and now 3 dogs, we want the SUV.
There is a TSB for some AFM where they put a shield in for oil consumption.

Wannabe
Old 01-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wannabe
There is a TSB for some AFM where they put a shield in for oil consumption.

Wannabe
thats assuming its still in warranty. I guess you got 5 years/100k on that powertrain if Im right.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Registered

Thanks Wannabe. Guess I need to read up on how this AFM works. For those interested:

#10-06-01-008B: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder) - (Mar 7, 2011)

Subject: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder)

Models: 2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado 1500, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2009 GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Equipped with Aluminum Block V8 Engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (RPOs LC9, LH6, L76, LFA, L92)

with Greater than 45,000 km (28,000 mi)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year and new Correction information for the 2009 model year - left rocker arm cover replacement. Information has also been added after step 9. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-008A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment about engine oil consumption of vehicles with higher mileage (approximately 48,000 to 64,000 km (30,000 to 40,000 mi). Verify that the induction system is assembled correctly and that there is no evidence that the engine has been ingesting dirty air due to a mis-assembled induction system. Also verify that the PCV system is functioning properly. If diagnostic procedures indicate that oil consumption is piston/piston ring related, verify that oil consumption is less than 3,000 km (2,000 mi) per liter/quart. If these conditions are met and oil consumption is less than 3,000 km (2,000 mi) per liter/quart, perform the service indicated in this bulletin.

Cause
This condition may be caused by oil spray that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drive cycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem. Under certain drive cycles (extended high engine speed operation), in combination with parts at the high end of their tolerance specification, the oil spray quantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessive deposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causing increased oil consumption.

Correction
2009 Vehicles Only
Important: This left rocker arm cover is NOT to be used on 2007-2008 vehicles because of the calibration of the PCV orifice being different in 2007-2008.

A new left rocker arm cover has been released for 2009 engines. Technicians should replace the left rocker arm cover with GM P/N 12642655. This rocker arm cover has relocated PCV drain holes that prevents PCV pullover into the intake manifold. Refer to SI for Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Left Side.

2008-2007 Vehicles Only

To correct this condition, perform the piston cleaning procedure as described in this document, and install a shield over the AFM pressure relief valve per the procedure outlined in this document. Monitor oil consumption after this repair to ensure oil consumption has improved to acceptable levels. If this repair does not correct the condition, it may be necessary to replace the piston assemblies (piston and rings) with new parts.

Important: It is critical in this cleaning process that the engine/fuel injector cleaner remain in the cylinders for a minimum of 2.5 hours to fully clean the components. The cleaner solution must be removed before a maximum of three hours.

•Verify the oil consumption concern following Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011F. If oil consumption is found, continue on with this bulletin.
•Remove the spark plugs and ensure that none of the pistons are at top dead center (TDC).
•Clean the pistons by putting 118-147 ml (4-5 oz) of Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner, GM P/N 88861802 (in Canada, use 88861804), in each cylinder. Allow the material to soak for at least 2.5-3.0 hours, but no more than three hours and then remove the cleaner. A suggested method of removing the cleaner is cranking engine over. Make sure to unplug the ignition coils and fuel injector before cranking the engine over. Also make sure that the painted surfaces are covered so no damage is done.
•Remove the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Replacement in SI.

•Remove the AFM valve (1).

•Install the new shield (1), GM P/N 12639759, and tighten the AFM valve to the oil pan to 28 N·m (20 lb ft).
Important: Ensure that the engine cleaner is thoroughly removed before reinstalling the spark plugs. Failure to do so may result in a hydro-lock condition.

•Reinstall the spark plugs. Replace the spark plugs if necessary due to full of carbon. Refer to the parts catalog.
•Reinstall the oil pan. Refer to the Oil Pan Installation procedure in SI. Replace the oil pan gasket if necessary. Refer to the parts catalog. Replace the engine oil if necessary.
•Re-evaluate the oil consumption. Document on the repair order. If the oil consumption is still greater than 0.946 L (1 qt) in 3,200 km (2000 mi), replacement of the pistons and rings will be required.

Important: Some minor scratches may be noticed on the cylinder walls during piston and ring replacement. If the scratch cannot be felt when running your finger nail over it, the scratch is considered normal wear and the block or engine should not be replaced.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

DEFLECTOR-OIL PRESS RLF VLV (quantity of 3 per order) (07-08 Models Only)

88861802 (in Canada, use 88861804)
CLEANER, F/INJR 16 OZ LIQUID POUR (Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner) (07-08 Models Only)

COVER ASM-VLV RKR ARM (09 Models Only)

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J7555*
Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder
3.5 hrs

Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder (4WD)
4.5 hrs

Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder (G8 Only)
10.5 hrs

J7561
Rocker Arm Cover- Left Bank - Replace- (For 2009 Only)
0.6 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2011 General Motors. All rights reserved.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by handfulz28
That's just what the dealer said. I believe it's a fairly common issue. Our dealer skipped installing the shield and went straight to replacing the rings and pistons. So far, its fixed the problem. I think the reason for skipping the sheild in our case is that we had blue smoke coming out the exhaust. It made me sick every time I saw it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.