Notices

Towing with a esclade ext

Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soldier4402
People like to always think bigger truck means better stopping but that is not always true. On a bigger trucks you have bigger brakes but you are also stopping a bigger vehicle. I am not an engineer but I would guess the stopping power per pound or however you want to gauage is pretty similar,

braking should be done with your load not the truck. If you had bad brakes and rubber your wrong from the start. The trailer should stop you not the other way around.
Not trying to turn this into a huge argument, there has been way too many of those on this subject already. But I'll have to disagree on the first part of your post.

Let's take some numbers.

A 2012 EXT has a curb weight of 5982 and is rated for 7600 lbs of towing. A Sierra 2500 Danali with V8 gas power and 4.10 ratio rated for 13000 lbs ball hitch towing, weighs 6601 lbs. Not a big diff. in vehicle weight. The brakes on those two vehicles are not the same at all. Much bigger brakes and stonger chassis on the GMC. Even the 3500 Diesel DRW Denali weighs "only" 8000 lbs and is rated for 17000 lbs ball hitch towing. The difference of the trucks weight and the difference of what they are build to tow are miles apart. Basically, trucks are build for heavy pulling, the SUVs are build with some light towing capabillity.

We do agree that the brakes on the trailer should be up to the task, absolutely. But remember, if you run surge brakes on a setup like this, the trailer will push the tow vehicle.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:14 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
People like to always think bigger truck means better stopping but that is not always true. On a bigger trucks you have bigger brakes but you are also stopping a bigger vehicle. I am not an engineer but I would guess the stopping power per pound or however you want to gauage is pretty similar,

braking should be done with your load not the truck. If you had bad brakes and rubber your wrong from the start. The trailer should stop you not the other way around.
Bigger truck = bigger brakes no doubt. Its a combination of the tow vehicle brakes and the trailer brakes. Stopping power per pound on my F350 way more than my F150. Its designed to pull more weight !
Old 02-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tow my 30' Velocity with an '07 Denali AWD, and that's all I would ever wanna pull with that truck. I'm sure loaded, it's in the 9000+ range, and the Velocities are fairly light compared to other similar boats. It's pushing it to say the least. However, I'm also in Florida, and do not have to fight up and down hills.

Like others have said, it's not necessarily a lack of horsepower, but everything else around the truck.

Good luck.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

In short...
Attached Thumbnails Towing with a esclade ext-mayhem.jpeg  
Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschool
in short... :d :d :d
hahahaha.......lmfao!!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
In short...
Ha! Perfect Post ! I can't wait to quote this one for the next exception seeker!

http://cheezburger.com/Timmo885/lolz/View/5436596224

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-29-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Not trying to turn this into a huge argument, there has been way too many of those on this subject already. But I'll have to disagree on the first part of your post.

Let's take some numbers.

A 2012 EXT has a curb weight of 5982 and is rated for 7600 lbs of towing. A Sierra 2500 Danali with V8 gas power and 4.10 ratio rated for 13000 lbs ball hitch towing, weighs 6601 lbs. Not a big diff. in vehicle weight. The brakes on those two vehicles are not the same at all. Much bigger brakes and stonger chassis on the GMC. Even the 3500 Diesel DRW Denali weighs "only" 8000 lbs and is rated for 17000 lbs ball hitch towing. The difference of the trucks weight and the difference of what they are build to tow are miles apart. Basically, trucks are build for heavy pulling, the SUVs are build with some light towing capabillity.

We do agree that the brakes on the trailer should be up to the task, absolutely. But remember, if you run surge brakes on a setup like this, the trailer will push the tow vehicle.
I agree with you and more of a less of theory. And I wasnt stating that a escalade or any 1/2 for that fact has bigger brakes stock then a 3/4 ton. My point was yes you have bigger brakes on the bigger truck but you have more weight to stop as well.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
My 2004 2500HD DMax had way more braking power than the 2006 Denali did. No comparison.
Now days a lot of the half tons have discs all the way around and are pretty good. I had an 07 and 08 F250 and now an 11 F150. Without a load the F150 stops way better hands down. I found the F250 brakes to be soft and unresponsive. Both trucks had stock tires and had 14k miles and 30 on the other and brakes were fine. Towing mid range loads like 3-5k. They were about the same, towing the boat of mine I would say they both are still kind of the same but you dont feel it as much on the F250.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
In short...
Old 03-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

A had a AWD Escalade EXT. Took it to Virginia to pick up my new to me 27' Advantage. Picked the boat up from a small place called Smith Mtn Lake. If I remember correctly, it was about 30 miles off the interstate. By the time I got back on the interstate the rear brakes on the escalade were metal to metal and the fronts were smoking. I pulled this boat with it for about a year 100 miles each way to KY lake and never thought it did the job very well. I traded it off last fall for a 2500 Duramax, and can tell you that there is no comparison. The duramax is so much better than the caddy at towing that words do not do it justice. Not saying that you can't pull that big boat with your Caddy, just saying that if you have any regard for the safety of yourself and your family, I would not recommend it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.