Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck

Last edited by innerrage; 03-18-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: mispelled
Old 03-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
does any of your straight trucks have a hitch with air brake hook up? a friend of mine got his cdl with his dads 6 wheeler and a tag trailer with air brakes..it was about 8 yrs ago and dont know if it applys to your state or not but it may be worth asking if that combo will do the trick..

I have worked with two different companies, in the utility business, and both places did the "A" class certifications and tests like mrfixxall described here.
The air brake equipment is the same and the length can be the same, on hauls, so this minimal method is accepted for testing and getting an "A" class CDL.

I have had an "A" class for about 13 years as a requirement of working on fleet equipment.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Look around and see if there are any companys offering a "CDL road test rental truck" the help you get used to the truck run the same route as the cld test, use a single axle daycab with a 28 foot single axle trailer to test it with automatic.. have had my cdl a for 16yrs now, and see the road test rigs for rent....
Old 03-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im not worried about the length of the trucks.. thats no problem .. yes we have a airbrake pintle hitch trailer but it needs work to be road worthy .. i guess im gonna go over the straight trucks make sure they isnt any questionable things on them .. i just need to get a liscense to legally drive the straights for now.. ill take the trailer back with me once its ready...

what did you guys do about gettin the trucks there to the test area when you just had your permit did you have someone ride along ??
Old 03-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

I was grndfathered in to my cdl. But when my son took his I did have to ride to the test site with him. I own a trucking company in VT. We haul Jet Fuel from the fuel racks to the airport. I have a company that does all my federal drug testing and back ground checks for me. They charge a small fee each year for thier service. Make sure if you own your own buisness with cdl drivers you have the drug testing program in place, DOT is very serious about this. If you been around trucks you will do fine, just read the question's through sometimes they can be tricky.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Go to you local MOV office you take the test. Here it is get your physical, take a rotten test, wait 10 days with a permit, go back and take the on the road test. Then you add on any extra hazmats etc.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a class B (I drive a school bus).

As far as "saying it or getting out and doing it," I think it depends on the examiner. On my pre-trip, I just had to talk my way through it. But I've seen others actually have to crawl under the bus and point out the air bladders.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:24 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Listen the part that 90% of the people who fail the test fail it on the pre-trip and In-cab inspection before you even do your drive test study that part the hardest!!!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sean stinson
Listen the part that 90% of the people who fail the test fail it on the pre-trip and In-cab inspection before you even do your drive test study that part the hardest!!!!!
yea ive got that taken care of
ive done alot of pre dot inspections fo places i worked
even stumped the owners a few times.. on stuff they missed..

on a side note went and redid my physical today in and out in 10 minutes..lol if it was 3 months ago id still be valid on my old one... sending my paper work in tomorrow maybe take test friday hopefully
Old 06-12-2012, 02:39 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrymaguire92
How much a truck rental company charge for shifting my luggage to 250 miles away from Florida location to southeast.
????