Notices

Ford or Chevy

Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got to add that when it comes to motors how many of us are running ford motors in our boats?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:18 AM
Registered

What was your negative with the Ram? I currenly have a 2011 1500 and its a decent truck. Only thing that drives me nuts is I get a wind tunnel sound when lightly accelerating around 60 to 70 mph. I don't know what it is. Nothing seems to be malfunctioning and it tows solid so Im lost.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! This thread is pretty tame to be a "Ford vs Chevy" topic. On every other forum I have been on, the most passionate discussions I have witnessed had this same title. I have never owned either a Ford or Dodge, but would not hesitate to own either one. All of them are going to have the bad ones along with the great ones. Like someone said before, look at all of them, then make YOUR decision. On last thing to remember, you usually PAY for what you GET. If it's cheap, there's probably a reason for it. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

think it would come down to overall condition, miles, and price. Overall between the three there are differences but in the end do the same thing. Personally I own a F150 and have had Chevy's but I would stay far far away from the 5.4.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My Ram is and 01 so it is getting old when I bought it was 2-3 years old and was fine than at about 60k u-joints, wheel bearings, and upper and lower ball joints thank god I was able to do it myself with some help from my friend. Than the rust on the doors, dash board that cracks apart. I just did not feel like this was a well made truck, did fine pulling the boat.

Is the 5.4 that tough to work, I will have this truck for a while.

Keep it coming guys this is nothing like a Cig vs Apache thread
Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like was said there aren't many FORD engines in boats.

I'm all GM here. While all have drawbacks I'll say GM has the least. As a tech I see a lot.

Good luck with your buy. The Formula needs a good road partner.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mach 1 ,you are right not many ford marine engines, but I ended up with one when I bought my first boatnew 1990 Chris Craft 196 what a nice boat but it had a 302 ho in it with and OMC outdrive ran great until I had to play with it, thru hull silent choice, new intake, carb and cam. It sounded great but it was the wrong cam I have never seen damage like that before shattered the piston wall. So we did the next best thing we put a 351 in it she move right along. Everything seems more expensive on a Ford.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by masi242

Is the 5.4 that tough to work, I will have this truck for a while.

Pure frustration is my take on the 5.4L Not enough output for the displacement and the spark plug issue is just bad bad bad. I will not do tune ups on them, I refuse. I know the kits that can get out the broken ones but I'm not a contortionist and keep my happy place by staying away from them; not smart at all.

If you own one the tune is the worst issue. If a plug breaks it is usually $60 each for the removal procedure.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Pure frustration is my take on the 5.4L Not enough output for the displacement and the spark plug issue is just bad bad bad. I will not do tune ups on them, I refuse. I know the kits that can get out the broken ones but I'm not a contortionist and keep my happy place by staying away from them; not smart at all.

If you own one the tune is the worst issue. If a plug breaks it is usually $60 each for the removal procedure.
Ford trucks weren't the only vehicle in their line that had the plug issue. The mustang line did as well. My 03 Cobra shot the plug out of the number 1 cylinder. I got it helicoiled and never had another problem.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:29 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I own a new Ford 250 and am well pleased with it. I really like GM's 5.3 and tranny. I had a 2002 Suburban and I will say it was a joy to own. The frames are hydroformed, quiet, and well engineered. I had an expedition with the 5.4 and really had no problems with it as well, but much preferred the mileage, smoothness, of the GM. I think Ford may have changed the game with the ecoboost, but I'll give the nod to the GM although I would be proud to own a F-150.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.