Notices

Surge Brake Actuator Question

Old 04-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surge Brake Actuator Question

It is my understanding that the return orifice hole on a disc brake actuator master cylinder is biggger than one for drum brakes. My question is, what is the acual size of the hole for the disc brakes? What would happen if it was drilled out too big? Would it cause it not to actuate the brakes at all?
I converted from drum to disc a couple of years ago and did replace entire actuator (Attwood) with one that was suppose to be for disc brakes but ever since the bakes run way to hot.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by vindicator101
It is my understanding that the return orifice hole on a disc brake actuator master cylinder is biggger than one for drum brakes. My question is, what is the acual size of the hole for the disc brakes? What would happen if it was drilled out too big? Would it cause it not to actuate the brakes at all?
I converted from drum to disc a couple of years ago and did replace entire actuator (Attwood) with one that was suppose to be for disc brakes but ever since the bakes run way to hot.

Thanks for any help.
your soppose to dril it to i believe 3/16 and remove the guts,,also did you install rubber brake lines to the calipers? some ppl screw the steel lines to the calipers and they dont slide rite causing the brake pads to constantly rub on the rotors..
Old 04-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Registered

Like fixx said, make sure you don't have a residual valve in your master cylinder. You said you bought a new one specifically for discs, but doesn't necessarily mean they didn't send you the wrong one.

http://www.championtrailers.com/remo...dual_valve.htm
Old 04-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Like fixx said, make sure you don't have a residual valve in your master cylinder. You said you bought a new one specifically for discs, but doesn't necessarily mean they didn't send you the wrong one.

http://www.championtrailers.com/remo...dual_valve.htm
I'm with deezy, if you have the correct Master, you shouldn't have the brakes overheating. My trailer came with discs from the factory and I'm lucky to get even minimal braking out of the system. Even if you were sent a master with the box having the correct numbers, it doesn't mean that the factory didn't put the wrong master in the box.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Registered

Thanks to all who responded. That's exactly what I needed to know. Turns out, according to the champion trailer link, I have the wrong master cylinder. I gutted mine and I do have the residual valve. So now I will take out that valve and drill the hole out and hopefully all will be good. Oh and yes I have all rubber lines all the way back.